Build Thread Requirements for 500m AR-15?

Discussion in 'Semi-Automatic Rifles' started by h4344, Sep 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. best defense

best defense
    Beaverton, OR

I used that same scope and mount on a Remington 700 with a 20 minute rail and it worked just fine, so I don't think the AR has a 20 minute rail.
    The main difference between the Rem. 700 and this AR was probably more the speed of the bullet. The Remington was spitting out the 105 grain 6mm bullets at about 2800 feet per second and they were VLD bullets. These Barns bullets are not VLD and they are traveling around 2500 FPS. That mount, "not the rail" has Zero angle built in as far as I know, but I can check with Leupold to make sure.

2. best defense

best defense
    Beaverton, OR

********************************************************************************
    I like the idea, but a 14.5 inch barrel makes it a short barreled rifle and a lot of extra expense and paper work. Wouldn't a 16 inch barrel work just as good?

3. Mygrainman

Mygrainman
    SW WA
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Ya, the Leupold mount itself is what I was curious about. That would definitely take a few clicks out of your elevation range.

4. AK0perator47

AK0perator47
    Western Washington

Not really a good comparison. A 93gr 6mm is going to get around 3200 fps from a 24 inch barrel. 73gr 223 round from a 20 inch barrel will only get 2700 fps. The 6mm at 500 yards will only drop
    37 inches versus the 49 inch drop of the 223. That information comes from hornady.

5. OYSTERBOY

OYSTERBOY
    RAYMOND

My next build will be an 80% 22 Nosler with 20" barrel, I think this has a lot of potential.

6. h4344

h4344
    Portland, OR

Learning how to properly sight my scope depending on my range to target outta be fun!

Can't you get charts or something for scopes so it's like "Oh 3 clicks for 400m" or something similar? Whole new area for me to learn so I might just sound crazy.

bbbass likes this.
  7. AK0perator47

AK0perator47
    Western Washington

Yes you can make your own charts. You need to find out what range you want to zero your optic. Then you want to know the approximate bullet drop for your ammunition and then you can find out what the number of clicks you need.

bbbass and h4344 like this.
  8. h4344

h4344
    Portland, OR

So lots of trial and error really to find your "clicks"?

bbbass likes this.
  9. AK0perator47

AK0perator47
    Western Washington

No. First zero your optic. Pick the yards you want to hit a target. Example is most people choose 100 yards because everything after that is an adjustment up. Under a 100 yards is easy to hit. I will write this up and pm you the information.

bbbass and h4344 like this.
  10. Mygrainman

Mygrainman
    SW WA
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Oops! Something went wrong. - YouTube

Some good info here for sight in and understanding how to dope a shot etc...

Long Range Shooting Tips - YouTube

bbbass, AK0perator47 and h4344 like this.
  11. AK0perator47

AK0perator47
    Western Washington

bbbass likes this.
  12. Swiss_Cheeze

Swiss_Cheeze
    Pnw

14.5 barrel yes, but you permanently attach a muzzle device to extend that to 16 and poof. No extra paperwork or money.

bbbass likes this.
  13. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Crapper Gunsmith

Or you omit the stock and put on a pistol tube, and just never shoulder it...

Swiss_Cheeze likes this.
  14. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Crapper Gunsmith

@Swiss_Cheeze That's also a common trick for Mk 18/CQBR-clone builders with our sub-11" barrels, just use a bare tube, Blade or Sig Brace on a never-assembled receiver and it's a super-sized pistol rather than an NFA SBR. I see no reason why a Blade- or SB-tailed 14.5" M4-clone wouldn't fall into the same category...

Swiss_Cheeze likes this.
  15. Republican

Republican
    Georgia

Have you looked at 6.5 Grendel ? I recently discovered it and it looks awesome ! It 's designed for the AR 15 platform, carries way more energy down range and now Wolf sells a cheap steel case option.
    Look it up on Wikipedia.

16. Core

Core
    Maine

I have used both single and double stage on precision builds. If you can find a single stage that breaks clean at a desirable weight I would take it versus a double. I don't like the release click on a double stage it's really annoying but unfortunately it's difficult to get a single stage in a 3lb configuration. I've used precision pistols in the ounces and small bore competition rifles and it is ideal for the competition environment but not so much for a tactical environment. There are several two stage triggers out that claim to resolve the reliability issues and have been re engineered to be quieter, but I haven't used them.

17. h4344

h4344
    Portland, OR

Update with new parts! Also been looking at 6.5 Grendel as a possibility instead of 5.56. Nothing for sure yet but I'll do my own research and keep reading the input I get here!

18. Pandaz3

Pandaz3
    Cornelius, Oregon
    NRA Lifetime Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

I believe most service rifles used in National Match are two-stage. I had that on my M-14 in the army, have it on my Armalite AR-10, I have a Ruger 452 two Stage on my Daniel's Defense DDM4. I can shoot almost as well with my 4.5# flat shoe single stage CMC. It mostly comes down to trigger time to gain consistency. I'm not there anymore. Anything but Mil-Spec!

bbbass and Goosebrown like this.
  19. RingingEars

RingingEars
    Idaho

That wasn't the point of the single vs. 2-stage discussion. We were only speaking of "long range". Look at the video that was posted. Both guns are bolt guns ;)

20. AK0perator47

AK0perator47
    Western Washington

lol my bad I missed that part thanks!:rolleyes:

bbbass likes this.