JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice Build... I'm a big fan of making your rifle your own with funky paint and accessories... not ideal for GTW, but for your bench gun...the funkier the better IMO;)
This is probably a silly question, but are you sure your scope mount doesn't already have built in moa? I ask because you obviously had to turn it backwards to get the right eye relief.

84 is a lot of bullet... did it do any good with 69s or 77s? Maybe a little smaller bullet traveling a little faster might help too.
I used that same scope and mount on a Remington 700 with a 20 minute rail and it worked just fine, so I don't think the AR has a 20 minute rail.
The main difference between the Rem. 700 and this AR was probably more the speed of the bullet. The Remington was spitting out the 105 grain 6mm bullets at about 2800 feet per second and they were VLD bullets. These Barns bullets are not VLD and they are traveling around 2500 FPS. That mount, "not the rail" has Zero angle built in as far as I know, but I can check with Leupold to make sure.

14.5-20inch heavy barrel with 1/7 twist rate will get you out to 600meters with MK262 cartridges or similar. You'll want to use loctite purple on the barrel extension where it fits into the upper. I would go with a MK12 build or a M4 SOPMOD type with the 14.5 socom barrel at minimum. A good barrel and muzzle device will be critical. The upper and lower can be milspec. I recommend PSA premium uppers and lowers. You'll need a good optic for 600meters, and a good trigger - the socom guys are using a milspec precision trigger that runs $200+. If you plan on a precision need for 600+ meters you'll want a AR10 build with 7.62 nato or .300 WM which doubles the cost but expect to reach out to 1000 if need be or 1500 with the 300...
********************************************************************************
I like the idea, but a 14.5 inch barrel makes it a short barreled rifle and a lot of extra expense and paper work. Wouldn't a 16 inch barrel work just as good?

The Remington was spitting out the 105 grain 6mm bullets at about 2800 feet per second and they were VLD bullets. These Barns bullets are not VLD and they are traveling around 2500 FPS.
Not really a good comparison. A 93gr 6mm is going to get around 3200 fps from a 24 inch barrel. 73gr 223 round from a 20 inch barrel will only get 2700 fps. The 6mm at 500 yards will only drop
37 inches versus the 49 inch drop of the 223. That information comes from hornady.

Learning how to properly sight my scope depending on my range to target outta be fun!

Can't you get charts or something for scopes so it's like "Oh 3 clicks for 400m" or something similar? Whole new area for me to learn so I might just sound crazy.

Learning how to properly sight my scope depending on my range to target outta be fun!

Can't you get charts or something for scopes so it's like "Oh 3 clicks for 400m" or something similar? Whole new area for me to learn so I might just sound crazy.
Yes you can make your own charts. You need to find out what range you want to zero your optic. Then you want to know the approximate bullet drop for your ammunition and then you can find out what the number of clicks you need.

********************************************************************************
I like the idea, but a 14.5 inch barrel makes it a short barreled rifle and a lot of extra expense and paper work. Wouldn't a 16 inch barrel work just as good?
14.5 barrel yes, but you permanently attach a muzzle device to extend that to 16 and poof. No extra paperwork or money.

@Swiss_Cheeze That's also a common trick for Mk 18/CQBR-clone builders with our sub-11" barrels, just use a bare tube, Blade or Sig Brace on a never-assembled receiver and it's a super-sized pistol rather than an NFA SBR. I see no reason why a Blade- or SB-tailed 14.5" M4-clone wouldn't fall into the same category...

Have you looked at 6.5 Grendel ? I recently discovered it and it looks awesome ! It 's designed for the AR 15 platform, carries way more energy down range and now Wolf sells a cheap steel case option.
Look it up on Wikipedia.

Yeah. Single stage is IDEAL for distance. For pier accuracy, single stage always beats double stage.
I have used both single and double stage on precision builds. If you can find a single stage that breaks clean at a desirable weight I would take it versus a double. I don't like the release click on a double stage it's really annoying but unfortunately it's difficult to get a single stage in a 3lb configuration. I've used precision pistols in the ounces and small bore competition rifles and it is ideal for the competition environment but not so much for a tactical environment. There are several two stage triggers out that claim to resolve the reliability issues and have been re engineered to be quieter, but I haven't used them.

Update with new parts! Also been looking at 6.5 Grendel as a possibility instead of 5.56. Nothing for sure yet but I'll do my own research and keep reading the input I get here!

I believe most service rifles used in National Match are two-stage. I had that on my M-14 in the army, have it on my Armalite AR-10, I have a Ruger 452 two Stage on my Daniel's Defense DDM4. I can shoot almost as well with my 4.5# flat shoe single stage CMC. It mostly comes down to trigger time to gain consistency. I'm not there anymore. Anything but Mil-Spec!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top