JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's the original Brownell's AR Build videos.
The gunsmith does a nice job showing the basic elements of the AR and their assembly.

Two missed items :
He doesn't show any receiver extension lube. (M16/M4 Tech Manual)
It's recommended to use a lube like AeroShell 33MS grease on the receiver threads and torque shoulder on the barrel extension.
He doesn't clamp the barrel for muzzle device install as you're supposed to. (M16/M4 Tech Manual)
He gets away with clamping the receiver instead because the milspec birdcage does not require much torque.

Here's the original Brownell's AR Build videos.
The gunsmith does a nice job showing the basic elements of the AR and their assembly.

Two missed items :
He doesn't show any receiver extension lube. (M16/M4 Tech Manual)
It's recommended to use a lube like AeroShell 33MS grease on the receiver threads and torque shoulder on the barrel extension.
He doesn't clamp the barrel for muzzle device install as you're supposed to. (M16/M4 Tech Manual)
He gets away with clamping the receiver instead because the milspec birdcage does not require much torque.
Both of my current ARs are parts assemblies, though I did pay gunsmiths to install barrels on properly and install FSB on the Grendel barrel. I do plan to send out the barrel I pick to John at Retro Arms Works for FSB install. Leaning heavily towards midlength 16 or rifle 18 instead of simply swapping carbine 16 from flat top to A2 upper.

Edit, this may be the first AR that I'd be able to install barrel properly once I pick up a few things like a clamp on bench vise and both types of vise blocks (receiver and barrel)

Both of my current ARs are parts assemblies, though I did pay gunsmiths to install barrels on properly and install FSB on the Grendel barrel. I do plan to send out the barrel I pick to John at Retro Arms Works for FSB install. Leaning heavily towards midlength 16 or rifle 18 instead of simply swapping carbine 16 from flat top to A2 upper.

Edit, this may be the first AR that I'd be able to install barrel properly once I pick up a few things like a clamp on bench vise and both types of vise blocks (receiver and barrel)
The two FSB barrels that I've done had pre-installed FSB's
One was a Rock River 16" mid and one was a Ballistic Advantage 16" mid
They went well and having the FSB pre-installed saved a step.

But as you know, shopping for an FSB barrel limits the barrel choices.

The two FSB barrels that I've done had pre-installed FSB's
One was a Rock River 16" mid and one was a Ballistic Advantage 16" mid
They went well and having the FSB pre-installed saved a step.

But as you know, shopping for an FSB barrel limits the barrel choices.
Yeah, the first one had FSB preinstalled; Sarco M4 basic kit. The 2nd one required custom install because at that time no one offered 6.5 Grendel barrels with pinned FSBs in any length

If it's not got a FSB pre-installed, it'll be stripped, then order the individual parts needed, and send parts with barrel to John at Retro AR Works. So far only Del-ton, Ballistic Advantage, have FSB pre-installed barrels for Midlength 16"; FNH does offer an 18", Rifle length barrel with either A2 or F FSBs, but it's spendy at $395 from TNTE sales :eek:.

Edit. Hm $328 stripped barrel for either 16" Midlength or 18" Rifle Length from Daniel Defense, + about $45(+/-5) in parts from JSE Surplus, plus Retro Arms Works install plus 3-4x shipping charges (2x, send plus receive for Retro Arms Works)..

Or $395 for TNTE's FNH 18" with A2 FSB plus shipping, and then small parts locally...

Or save a hundred + for any of the lower cost options?

But.. Daniel Defense and FN Herstal seems to be among the top. Rosco is reportedly one of the barrel subcontractors for Colt govt contracts, but so are DD and FN.

Last Edited:
AIM Surplus has a sale on the 16" Midlength FSB barrels from Ballistic Advantage; it's $150 right now plus ship if not free shipping. Hrm. That is a heck of a discount versus Aero Precision's list price and other sites list prices for the same barrel... it probably has a F height sight tower though but being it's between carbine and rifle gas lengths; I'm thinking i could get a shorter front sight post? Or just crank it down a little if needed.

AIM Surplus has a sale on the 16" Midlength FSB barrels from Ballistic Advantage; it's $150 right now plus ship if not free shipping. Hrm. That is a heck of a discount versus Aero Precision's list price and other sites list prices for the same barrel... it probably has a F height sight tower though but being it's between carbine and rifle gas lengths; I'm thinking i could get a shorter front sight post? Or just crank it down a little if needed.
I'd grab it.
That's a good buy.

Got the M&A Parts Inc complete A2 upper receiver with M4 feed ramps from the UPS drop location; now I'm torn between using my SBR CAR15 lower or Skeletal stock lower for the 16" Mid Length.. I have a friend with a midlength DD quadrail, waiting for his photos of it.. on the other hand, a SOPMOD stock with the quadrail on the A2 upper might be hilarious if just to see people reactions to the mix...
DSCF7119.JPG
16" carbine M4 upper with RRA Dominator sight and riser rail at top, 12" 6.5 Grendel SBR C7 with Tasco sight in middle, M&A A2 upper on the bottom
DSCF7118.JPG DSCF7117.JPG
On SBR CAR15 lower

DSCF7116.JPG DSCF7115.JPG
On Doublestar Skeletal stock lower (normally with the 16" M4 upper)
DSCF7114.JPG DSCF7102.JPG DSCF7103.JPG DSCF7104.JPG DSCF7105.JPG
Rear sight, both sides, forge mark and proof marks?

Barrel came in. Mocked up for now. Just need another BCG, gas tube, handguards. Then it's on to a 3rd lower so I can shoot all 3...not a fan of how unbalanced it looks with the SBR CAR lower. Ballistic Advantage Barrel, has complete FSB f-marked and round handguard cap. Seems Troy Industries Battle Rail drop in quadrail uses round caps, along with Magpul handguards (NOT going that way, Magpul is dull and pedestrian ) . Any other handguards, needs triangle end cap. Not a fan of the PSA fat oval M4ish midlengths or the oval fat straight M4ish midlengths. I think either S&W MP10 carbine handguards or old Armalite originals would be best.. ? DSCF7127.JPG DSCF7126.JPG DSCF7138.JPG DSCF7137.JPG DSCF7128.JPG DSCF7129.JPG

Do a Google Image Search with the search terms : ar handguards for FSB
And you'll see what's out there.
The majority of midlength drop in handguards require a triangle end cap. Very few offer handguards for midlength gas with round caps. Magpul is one, Troy Industries is another. There's also Shooter's Gate but unsure where those are sourced.

Edit, the reason is basically because Armalite used a shortened A2 handguard mold, and those A2 handguards have always used triangle handguard caps

Barrel came in. Mocked up for now. Just need another BCG, gas tube, handguards. Then it's on to a 3rd lower so I can shoot all 3...not a fan of how unbalanced it looks with the SBR CAR lower. Ballistic Advantage Barrel, has complete FSB f-marked and round handguard cap. Seems Troy Industries Battle Rail drop in quadrail uses round caps, along with Magpul handguards (NOT going that way, Magpul is dull and pedestrian ) . Any other handguards, needs triangle end cap. Not a fan of the PSA fat oval M4ish midlengths or the oval fat straight M4ish midlengths. I think either S&W MP10 carbine handguards or old Armalite originals would be best.. ? View attachment 1748866View attachment 1748867View attachment 1748869View attachment 1748870View attachment 1748871View attachment 1748872
Check out Fulton armory they have some cool retro stuff
How do you like the ARFX stock?

The majority of midlength drop in handguards require a triangle end cap. Very few offer handguards for midlength gas with round caps. Magpul is one, Troy Industries is another. There's also Shooter's Gate but unsure where those are sourced.

Edit, the reason is basically because Armalite used a shortened A2 handguard mold, and those A2 handguards have always used triangle handguard caps
I think everyone can respect Bravo Company (BCM), right ?
I don't care who you are, removing a pinned FSB can be a PITA.
Bravo Company is known to have a really tightly pinned FSB and this is their FSB removal method.
Yours may differ, but in any event, having the FSB off opens up more handguard choices.

From speaking with customers, it seems BCM FSB taper pins are harder to remove than some others. When we do it here, we can knock the pins free in under 60 seconds.
Here are some basic pointers on the way we remove them.

1) It takes Two. You will need a buddy to hold the upper group stable as you pound out the pins. You will not be able to get a good concentrated force on the pins if the upper is wobbling around (even a little bit).

2) Action Jackson. You will need a couple of action blocks (see Brownells for a good selection). These will be great platforms to stabilize the barrel. Also get the Brownells FSB block. You may have to mod the shape of the FSB block if using a free float.

3) Installed from starboard side. Milspec FSB are drill and the reamed for taper pins. The reamer runs from the right to the left (pointing the muzzle at the bad guy). So BCM pins need to be removed from left to right. Cannot be done the opposite way.

4) Secure that carbine. Using action blocks and the buddy system secure the upper group so the left side is facing up.

5) Get a fat one. We do not use those small radius head punches to break the pins free. We use a much fatter punch (5/16"). It's a meaty sucker. Lots to hang on to, and enables you to put some force on the hammer. Using a 5/16" punch and a 12oz hammer, give her a smack. Anywhere between 1 and 6 smacks, and the pin moves. All you want to do is to get it to move to about flush.

6) Grab a skinny one. Now get the tiny little 1/8" punch to push the pins out of the FSB. They are already broken free, this just drives the fully out. Tap, tap, tap.

7) Celebrate. You are done. Do the banana dance.

Hope this info helps...
Thanks!
Paul

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR