JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I had posted here before considering a Remington 700 for my first long range rifle but decided I would like another AR-15 build.

I have no idea what specifics I might need to achieve decent results at 500m with 5.56 comfortably as I have only built 1 AR before.

Im wondering about things like twist rate, barrel length, anything else I have no idea about being new. If anyone has material or a youtube video I can also watch to explain this kind of stuff I would be more than happy to look at it!

UPDATE 09/10/2017
Bought Anderson Manufacturing Stripped Lower With Kit from Northwest Armory, $100 Total 21616696_1782996108420038_3993012_o.jpg

UPDATE 09/15/2017
Bought Anderson Manufacturing Buffer Tube and Magpul ACS-L Stock, Both Mil-Spec. Along with a Magpul MOE+ Grip. $145 Total
20170915_195232.jpg

Last Edited:
This is a concept I've been developing for myself over a period of time; an AR15 with two uppers. One 16" carbine for 300 yards and closer paired with a 20" rifle for 200 yards and out. Based on my experience with shooting my current Bushmaster DCM in matches out to 600 yards, I'm confident a property set up rifle with appropriate ammo can consistently reach 800 yards with little trouble.

The upper will be full A3 flattop with no backup sights, have a 20" full heavy barrel with either 1-8" or 1-7" twist rate, preferred 5 lands/grooves, free float tube/hand guard, 20 MOA kant mount and I have a Leupold 6x mil-dot target scope to mount.

Ammo would be a 77 grain BTHP loaded magazine length; zero at 600 so it's easy adjustable up and down to practical firing ranges.

Keep it quality and simple.

In my opinion, one of the biggest barriers is the magazine. I like to use longer/heavier, higher BC bullets in my bolt gun. Its a 22 inch, 8 twist barrel with plenty of magazine space to allow me to load bullets closer to the lands. I have had no issues getting to 600 yards with it.

In an AR with a shorter barrel, Id suggest a 7 or 8 twist. The wylde chamber is getting pretty popular and Ive seen guns using it shoot very well. I'd prefer an 18 or 20 inch barrel if I was going to shoot mostly LR with it. A free floating handguard and bipod would be no-brainer accessories.

Are you intending to reload?

In my opinion, one of the biggest barriers is the magazine. I like to use longer/heavier, higher BC bullets in my bolt gun. Its a 22 inch, 8 twist barrel with plenty of magazine space to allow me to load bullets closer to the lands. I have had no issues getting to 600 yards with it.

In an AR with a shorter barrel, Id suggest a 7 or 8 twist. The wylde chamber is getting pretty popular and Ive seen guns using it shoot very well. I'd prefer an 18 or 20 inch barrel if I was going to shoot mostly LR with it. A free floating handguard and bipod would be no-brainer accessories.

Are you intending to reload?
I dont intend to reload. Just purchase ammo.

I shoot up to 600 yards off a sling in highpower matches from time to time, and I do... ehh, alright. Here's what you should be looking for, in my opinion.

Requirements:

- Wylde chamber
- 1:8 – 1:7 twist rate
- Respectable barrel manufacturer
- Free floated
- 69gr or heavier bullets, SMK or similar
- Not using handguard-mounted sights
- A proper loop sling, or a bipod or other front rest
- A trigger that isn't terrible

Recommendations:

- At least 16" barrel length, but the more the merrier
- At least a "medium" weight barrel profile
- At least a 4x magnification optic
- A 2-stage trigger (eg. Geissele SSA-E)

Should be a good thread with lots of input. I have 3 AR's that I'd consider 500 yard shooters. All having a minimum of 20" medium-heavy wt. barrels. One has a 24" tube and Sports a new 4-16x50 Trijicon scope. I'd trust these 3 at that range:

PSLc4y9.jpg

Keep us posted on your build progress. Thanks!!!

So much info to read over!!! <3

By heavy barrel I assume you guys literally mean a heavier barrel? Need to research the 2 stage trigger as I know little to nothing about triggers.
I had not thought of ammo differences before aside from weight! Ill be sure to remember those! Would a side charging upper make a difference in performance so long as its made by a quality manufacturer?

So far im looking at

20" "Heavy" Barrel 1/7 Twist
Quad Rail free float hand guard for bipod
Chamber in 556 using 69g bullets or heavier

Should be a good thread with lots of input. I have 3 AR's that I'd consider 500 yard shooters. All having a minimum of 20" medium-heavy wt. barrels. One has a 24" tube and Sports a new 4-16x50 Trijicon scope. I'd trust these 3 at that range:

View attachment 389499

Keep us posted on your build progress. Thanks!!!
Smexy. What stock is that on top? Ill keep you all up to date! Gonna be built over the course of about 2 months.

I think Cosmic Osmo hit on some really good points. Those being proper barrel twist rate, ammo and trigger. I'm a huge fan of the Geissele SSA-E trigger, as well as the RRA triggers like the National Match and 2 stage varmint match trigger. I'm a huge fan of the magpul PRS stock (see pic above). They are fully adjustable and comfortable. I also like the rifle length gas system and longer barrel because the rifles soak up more recoil and are a pleasure to shoot. I've found the grip (and grip angle) also makes a big difference in controlling the rifle. My preference goes to the magpul K2+ because it's very comfortable and easy to shoot off the bench or off bags. As far as scopes go, get one that looks good to your eye and most importantly one that tracks well. If I were building a long bomber on a budget, I'd be looking at the SWFA super sniper fixed power scopes. They track awesome, the glass is adequate and they are very rugged scopes for the money...

Smexy. What stock is that on top? Ill keep you all up to date! Gonna be built over the course of about 2 months.

If you like that stock on the top, you are in luck. It is the newest Magpul PRS (3rd gen stock). It is an awesome stock and has some added features that the first and second gen stocks didn't have. It comes with 2 adapters for either a carbine length buffer tube or rifle length buffer tube. The ergo's on this stock are a little different than the older PRS stocks. It has a longer LOP (thicker pad and more adjustment for LOP) and has a better/thicker recoil pad. I prefer the looks of the older PRS better, but appreciate the newer GEN III for it's ergo's and better versatility. It's hard to go wrong with the newer stock...

Serious rifle dedicated to long range shooting or sniping only and not too much for lesser yardages of self defense:

24" heavy barrel, spiral fluted to reduce harmonics
The best light pull, smooth pull, crisp break, trigger you can afford
rifle length gas system
free float handguard
1/7 or 1/8
.223 or .223 Wylde (inherently more accurate)
synthetic lube instead of heavy oil or grease
good rest to shoot from

Good luck with the factory ammo, esp in 5.56. I highly recommend reloading because you can test loads until you get the results you want. Factory ammo... maybe your rifle won't like any at all.

My 18.5" rifle shoots .223 handload 5 shot dime sized groups at 100 yds with handloads that I tuned in for it. Same rifle shoots 2" (.223) and 3.5" (5.56) groups with factory ammo.

I shoot 55gr bullets so your results may differ. :)

What sort of long range shooting? If it's high power or bench rest most of the time you have to load single shot. If you're doing tactical you get a loaded magazine. That makes a difference. If you load single shot you can use really high BC bullets like 75vmax or 90gr VLD target which performs like a 105gr 6mm VLD (that is to say excellent)

If you aren't going to reload you are just plinking really. Try federal premium Gold Medal 77gr or federal gold medal Berger 73gr. Norma match 77gr sierra match king. Look on midway for hollow point boat tail bullets on the 223 ammo page.

Absolutely get a 223 Wylde chamber. There is no reason WHAT SO EVER to get either 223 or 5.56.

1/7 or 1/8 twist

20" bbl is fine. 24 is better.

Skip the quad rail. Useless in target shooting. Get keymod or straight tube. Both are easier to hold in a proper standing shooting position. Quad rail is too big around and my hands are huge. You can mount a hand stop or bipod on any handguard. You don't need a laser site, tactical light, backup CQB scope, canopener, drink fridge or whatever else you think you might fit to all those rails you'd be carrying around.

Side charger is nice but I'd go for a BAD Lever to just move the bolt release to the right hand side.

Of course you didn't say you want to do competition. So my advice maybe a little over-the-top.

Whatever you get, enjoy yourself. Heavier bullets. Longer barrels. Higher power scope if you're using a rest or bipod.

Seriously stay away from the quad rail. Try rifles that have keymod or just straight tube's and they're a lot more comfortable to shoot.

Oh. And get a good trigger.

I have two match triggers on two Lowers. A timney and a geissle. Both are great. The timney is single stage and I like that better. Timney ar15 competition single stage trigger. That's what I have. 3lb trigger (too light to hunt IMO) like breaking glass. No long hard grindy pull there.

Figure $250-$300 for trigger. This is the most important investment in your rifle for accuracy you can possibly make.

I know it sounds like a lot but you really really really want A good trigger.

Yes, I was hitting 800 yards with 75 grain Hornady Match ammo out of an 18" 1/7 twist barrel.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews