JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got an A2 complete (minus BCG and charging handle) upper receiver with rear sight, forward assist and dust cover assemblies coming in the next week or two from M & A Parts Inc;

I have a choice of these two lowers ; or I can go and acquire an Aero Precision gen 2 stripped lower or something like that...

Barrels. I'm set on either 16" Midlength or 18" Rifle length SPR type...

For the 16" Mid Length..

Del-Ton Lightweight CMV 1:9 with either A2 or F marked front sight base, $125 or $160 for chrome lined, plus ship

Or

Ballistic Advantage Barrel; 1:7 CMV pencil profile with F marked front sight base and related parts; $240 (+60 from 180)

or

Aero Precision 1:7 CMV 16" midlength, standard weight? .750 , F marked front sight base and same parts, $245

Or..

Sons of Liberty Gun Works unknown twist rate? Govt profile
CMV pinned FSB, $265

Or

Daniel Defense Lightweight 1:7 CMV, CHF, midlength; stripped only, $328 (FSB pinned is out of stock), means I'd need to acquire FSB and then send to John at Retro AR Works for the work, likely. Unless someone here wants to do that ;)

Then there's Noveske's pinned FSB 1:7 CHF Chrome Lined at $550

For 18", I seem to only find Ballistic Advantage SPR with OPS 12 option; at JSE Surplus and calculated to cost $260+ because of FSB and parts and install from JSE Surplus (extra $25 for drill/ream/install of front sight tower)

Alternately.. the cheapest option would be to acquire a vise block (clamshell), a clamp on vise, and swap receivers and use my Sarco .223 Wylde M4 profile barrel that has a F height front sight, and carbine gas length on the A2 upper.

20230324_174906.jpg

Just did a little research, SOLGW uses BA(ballistic advantage) but offers lifetime warranty and BA machines them to SOLGW's specs.

So it looks like 3 out of 6 barrels are made by the same parent company that does Ballistic Advantage barrels. .

Daniel Defense and Noveske makes their own?

Right. The barrels I'm looking at have either M4 extensions, or whatever Daniel Defense calls their A4 extension (supposedly just the same as M4 extension for the most part?)

M&A Parts Inc has two different A2 fixed carry handle upper receivers; one with M4 feed ramps (what I'm getting), the other with standard no M4 Feed Ramps

I just assume anymore that BA made the barrel if it's not explicitly made by someone else. My luck with them has been superb so I generally just go with them because I know I'll be happy.

Just did a little research, SOLGW uses BA(ballistic advantage) but offers lifetime warranty and BA machines them to SOLGW's specs.

So it looks like 3 out of 6 barrels are made by the same parent company that does Ballistic Advantage barrels. .

Noveske doesn't make their own barrels. Pac-Nor used to make their SS barrels but burned down so not sure who makes those now. Unsure who makes their cold hammer forged barrels but a quick search has most speculating that FN makes them.

Regarding Daniel Defense pinned front sight post barrels: they don't come with a barrel nut installed. So even if it was in stock, you'd have to plan on removing the FSP, installing a barrel nut, and re-pinning it.

It's dumb and I don't understand why they do that.

Regarding Daniel Defense pinned front sight post barrels: they don't come with a barrel nut installed. So even if it was in stock, you'd have to plan on removing the FSP, installing a barrel nut, and re-pinning it.

It's dumb and I don't understand why they do that.
Sounds like the exact same thing that the Sarco m4 kit had for me; it came with FS tower pinned on the 16" M4 barrel but the handguard cap and the barrel nut and delta ring assembly weren't on it

Noveske barrels are made by PacNor another Southern Oregon company.
And that could change, but it's always been PacNor doing Noveske barrels.
Maybe their CHF are made elsewhere ?

Last Edited:
Forgot to mention, A2 carry handle upper I'm getting has M4 feed ramps
Make sure that your barrel extension has M4 ramps as well.
Most AR barrels these days will have M4 ramps, but if you were to buy a Rock River barrel (for example) it would most likely not have M4 ramps.

I'd also get mid-gas on either the 16" or 18"
The 16" carbine gassed with M203 notch works, but looks odd IMO.
Rifle gas on the 18" might be finicky and require some tuning (you're giving up some dwell time).

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top