JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Having fired both a single and a double at well past 500 I agree with the links I provided.

Not trying to start an argument here but to say a single stage is more accurate at distance isn't correct.
I certainly like 2-stage triggers when shooting long range. I will admit that I was very surprised when a new young shooter (SparksFly) outshot me with a single stage trigger, then we swapped guns and he did the same, both at 500 yards on AR-15s. Have I mentioned that was his first time touching a gun? I still am trying to find out how he did that!

Pass the 2 stage please... Hold the fluff... I also love how everyone has a 1/2 moa AR until they are challenged... Hmmmm...;) ARFCOM (AR15.com) had a good "1 moa all day long" challenge and 24 hr campfire also had a black rifle challenge (they are still allowing competitors). You'd be surprised how many guys/rifles can't shoot 1 moa consistently.... I'm talking 10 shot groups here... Those challenges are an eye opener for a lot of guys.. Worth taking a look.... 99 percent of those competitors are using 2 stage match triggers. Just FYI...

Last Edited:
At a grand, the .223 will hit but the effective range is lousy. Trust me, I was on a .223 AR 1000 yard kick for quite some time, and having hit at that distance me wants a .308 or even better a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Not trying to start an argument here but to say a single stage is more accurate at distance isn't correct.
Yeah it is. No one uses two stage triggers and wins records unless they're stuck on an AR platform. The first pull is just distraction and the force used there will push you left or right more often than not. Two stage triggers are military safety features and that's about it.

Pass the 2 stage please... Hold the fluff... I also love how everyone has a 1/2 moa AR until they are challenged... Hmmmm...;) ARFCOM (AR15.com) had a good "1 moa all day long" challenge and 24 hr campfire also had a black rifle challenge (they are still allowing competitors). You'd be surprised how many guys/rifles can't shoot 1 moa consistently.... I'm talking 10 shot groups here... Those challenges are an eye opener for a lot of guys.. Worth taking a look.... 99 percent of those competitors are using 2 stage match triggers. Just FYI...
I got 1/2 moa with 5 shots... granted it was just once the other day when I was sighting in my new higher power scope. So two equally likely explanations... 1) I have a 1/2 moa capable rifle, and being able to go up to 18x helped me get the most out of it... and 2)... I got lucky for 1 5 shot group. I won't know for sure until I take it out again and shoot multiple groups.

I'd like to think it's a combination of the two... I have a 1/2 moa rifle and I got lucky for 1 five shot group:D

Lots of good advice here. Medium/Heavy Wylde barrel, comp trigger, good optic, twist, etc. However, here is my two cents.

The AR15 round is lightweight. Therefore, past 200 yards, it will drift. Even a slight wind has a radical effect.
I have shot out to 600 yards, and can hit a gallon jug on a relative calm windless day - Provided I can see my point of impact if I miss! If you have say, a 6+ MPH crosswind, and cannot see your POI, then good luck getting your windage right! If you know things like your MV, Projectile weight & BC, ambient temperature and altitude, you can calculate bullet drop - because the gravitational constant of the earth doesn't change (and yes, there are things to consider like spin drift, coriolis effect, ect.) However, the wind/environment will be your biggest challenge past 200 yards, if it's accuracy you are after.

Given you get everything else right in your build - There is no substitute for trigger time. I also agree with the earlier post that mentioned reloading. You will never find a factory load that will suit your particular rifle, as well as a custom tuned reload.

Everything is relative. It all depends on weather you want to hit a silver dollar, an orange, or a cantaloupe, or a basketball, or a refrigerator at 500 yards. And as far as stopping power goes, there ain't much retained energy at this distance.

If you just want to nail watermelon's at 50yds then any AR will do.

Yeah it is. No one uses two stage triggers and wins records unless they're stuck on an AR platform. The first pull is just distraction and the force used there will push you left or right more often than not. Two stage triggers are military safety features and that's about it.
I love two stage triggers! Weather in competition or hunting, my adrenalin is pumping. The initial take up of a two stage calms down my trigger finger and also gives me a great deal of tactile info about when the trigger is gonna break!

I really gotta get trigger time with a two stage so I can decide if I want to get one. I have the tendency to buy something that maybe I don't like as much as I thought I would, and then subconsciously adjust my opinion to help rationalize spending a bunch of money on something I didn't need. Bias confirmation is always a factor. If it turns out I like two stage and it will help me shoot better... It will go to the top of my list.

I was thinking about an AR-10 for a 308 build but it seems like its much harder to piece meal together parts compared to an AR-15 :/
They are a bit harder to get parts for and put parts together for but in my opinion I think you would be much more happy with one. You get some aspects of a bolt gun in terms of caliber and range but parts of the AR-10. An AR-10 will be more expensive, a good one upwards of $1,500-$2,000 but if you want range and quality it would be worth it. Once you get over the fact that their company has the same name as a fish in a kids movie they are SUPER spendy but worth it. Had the privilege to shoot the Omen Watchman while at a gun range one time thanks to a great guy who let me shoot it. DAMN. That's all I can say.
Welcome to NEMO Arms | NEMO Arms

I own several 2 stage triggers. Geissele is the best $300 and Rock River good $100.
For High Power Rifle competition 'Service Rifle" requires 4.5 lb trigger. This is best
accomplished with a 2-stage set up. I have a 2 lb single stage trigger on a match
AR lower that works quite well. You can become proficient with either but
you may have a personal preference for single or 2-stage. IMHO
20 inch barrel is optimum length for 600 yards. Longer barrels longer dwell
time detriment to accuracy.:eek: 1/7 or 1/8 twist rate 77 SMKs or 77 TMKs.
Rock River has some affordable uppers that work well. Here are some
competition uppers capable of perfect scores out to 600 yards.:D:D:D
Rock River factory built uppers at a discount.:rolleyes:All Products | PK Firearms
I like this one.
RRA_R3_Competition_Upper_3.jpg
Rock River Arms R3 Competition Upper | PK Firearms
White Oak makes some nice stuff also. White Oak Armament | Quality Parts for Competitive and Casual Shooters
After you add up the components the factory built uppers are hard to beat on price.
Also comes with warranty.:cool:

And not to argue with @Mygrainman but for distance you want a two-stage trigger. Known take-up/staging, then a light easy pull to send the projectile. Single stage belongs in 3-gun, but not for distance.

I've always used single stage for distance in both my AR type and rifles. I have a Timney single stage in my remmy that will get 1000m plus with ease

20170415_143106.jpg

I want to ask you if you want it just to shoot for fun? Hunting purposes? Rifle for SHTF? Or bragging rights? Or the best all around rifle for multiple purposes? As almost everyone else prior has mentioned, twist rate, barrel length, ammunition selection, optics, muzzle breaks, and trigger all have an important role. Rifle marksmanship fundamentals are just as important.
A solid rifle that is the best all around would be in a 20" barrel with a 1:7 twist. You can use it for distance out to your required range of 500+. It is also not too long to be used in cqb. Medium to heavy barrel is great but I would have it fluted.
223 wylde is nice for chamber.

I have to say that I don't want an AR rifle that costs a lot of money if you just want to brag. I like mine to work consistently and reliably. If I plan on hunting with a rifle, bolt action 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor.

I really gotta get trigger time with a two stage so I can decide if I want to get one. I have the tendency to buy something that maybe I don't like as much as I thought I would, and then subconsciously adjust my opinion to help rationalize spending a bunch of money on something I didn't need. Bias confirmation is always a factor. If it turns out I like two stage and it will help me shoot better... It will go to the top of my list.
A great two stage trigger that will be close to eliminating the long take up you dislike is the Timney AR Targa 2 stage short trigger. I always get the flat one.

Here is a link.
AR-15 Competition Replacement Trigger

Last Edited:
Requirements: pin upper to lower. Train.
Put the lime in the coconut.
500m is easy peasy with an ar and a few rounds downrange.
For groups? Better get some quality glass.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top