JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After about a year of gathering parts, I finally built this rifle and test fired it. Unfortunately, it seems to be under-gassed. The rifle will fire, but no more than 5 times in a row, will often not strip a round off the mag, and it will not lock back on empty. It is ejecting spent cartridges. My biggest concern is how to validate whether or not it was the gas tube installation or if the pinned gas block is the culprit, in which case I would have to send it back to Centurion arms.

Relevant build info:
Aero upper, lower, and CBG.
16" Centurion arms mk12 mod H barrel w/ pinned gas block (was assembled) but I installed the gas tube as I built it.
Geissele Super 42 w/ H1 buffer

Perhaps I can get some feedback on how to properly troubleshoot it? Anything helps!

Missing has length info. Buffer and spring might be problem. Go lighter. I'd still having issues with lighter spring and buffer, then report back.

Missing has length info. Buffer and spring might be problem. Go lighter. I'd still having issues with lighter spring and buffer, then report back.
Mid length, mod Holland barrel. Seems odd that a super 42 w/ H1 would cause problem? Seems like that'd make me the outlier, which makes me suspect it's a gas system problem. I'll switch it for a standard spring & buffer, regardless.

It is always worthwhile to ask Centurion Arms. They might have information about other reports of undersized ports or something.

Mid length, mod Holland barrel. Seems odd that a super 42 w/ H1 would cause problem? Seems like that'd make me the outlier, which makes me suspect it's a gas system problem. I'll switch it for a standard spring & buffer, regardless.
It's definitely worth trying a standard spring and buffer. Were you using the Geissele buffer with the 42?

It might be a stretch saying they are the cause. It could be a handful of things listed above. The barrel could have been misaligned when drilling the holes for the gas block and your gas port is partially covered. Underpowered ammunition is also a typical culprit. Lubrication can be a culprit. The list goes on.

Whenever I put an AR together or buy a factory one. I always start with the lightest buffer and spring possible. Even if it came from the factory with heavier. If it runs hot, I'll add weight to the recoil system till it starts short stroking. Then step back a weight or two till it functions with 4-5 different ammunitions 100%. For instance. I open a factory Springfield AR and it shipped with an H buffer. After doing the usually shoot and swap, it ended up with a H2 by the time I finished and it shoots like butter. I've had carbine length PSA's that barely ran cheap ammo with the absolute lightest of buffer set ups.

Regardless of what the barrel manufacture recommends, or what the internet says, I usually tell folks to start at the beginning. If it don't work with a carbine buffer and spring, then I tell folks to start measuring things. That's usually if the most obvious culprits are isolated first. Like ammo and giving it some lubricant.

The spring and buffer can help reduce recoil, but they are so crucial to proper operation of the action that I would rather the gun recoil more due to lighter buffer and springs. Then solve recoil some other way like a muzzle brake.

At which location/position on "clock" is the shell ejecting to…..1…2…..3…4..?

C5A48833-803C-4F0E-96F2-FFEA3EEB3EDA.jpeg

Those barrels have a notch on the barrel and a tab on the gas block for alignment.
The gas port size is listed at .076", perfect for a 16" middy and should run well with a blue spring and H buffer or an A5H2 buffer and green spring.

A new pin is probably 50¢ from Tacoma Screw, drive it out, scoot the GB back a bit and measure the port.
You'll be able to see if the notch is directly behind the gas port also and not off to one side or the other.
They are a solid company, I'd be surprised if something is out of spec but anything is possible.
At any rate I'm certain they will take care of it if something is goofed up.

Before looking at the gas port I would be looking at everything else down stream first.
Like the BCG, it's not unheard of to see a botched gas key install or just out of spec all over.
I'd swap in a known good BCG and see what happens.

After about a year of gathering parts, I finally built this rifle and test fired it. Unfortunately, it seems to be under-gassed. The rifle will fire, but no more than 5 times in a row, will often not strip a round off the mag, and it will not lock back on empty. It is ejecting spent cartridges. My biggest concern is how to validate whether or not it was the gas tube installation or if the pinned gas block is the culprit, in which case I would have to send it back to Centurion arms.

Relevant build info:
Aero upper, lower, and CBG.
16" Centurion arms mk12 mod H barrel w/ pinned gas block (was assembled) but I installed the gas tube as I built it.
Geissele Super 42 w/ H1 buffer

Perhaps I can get some feedback on how to properly troubleshoot it? Anything helps!
I have no first hand knowledge but I have heard several instances of people running the super42 and h1 kit and immediately getting short stroking.I like extra parts anyway so I would buy the most basic standard cheap spring and buffer and see what happens. You might also want to YouTube some school of the American rifle for quick easy bcg checks.

Please describe your ejection pattern via the chart provided above. Check your BCG for leaks, test the seals (you should be able to set it on the bolt head without it unlocking), check the gas key, ensure there are no leaks from the gas block, ensure the buffer tube and spring are actually correct.

You can have similar issues on a system that is over gassed so the ejection pattern is an important detail.

It would be more likely that you're having gas leaks from your BCG than a misalignment of your pinned gas block so start from the butt and work your way up to the tip.

A great YouTube channel that does diagnostics, physicals and autopsies is "School of the American rifleman" if you want to fully geek out.

It's bleed off. It reduces the amount of gas going into the carrier to what is necessary.
If you're implying that it's an adjustable gas block with bleed-off, you are incorrect.
OP, most gas blocks take some time to seal up, depending on fit. That one looks excessive, but will probably still seal.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top