JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
UPDATE 09/10/2017
Bought Anderson Manufacturing Stripped Lower With Kit from Northwest Armory, $100 TotalView attachment 390398
Dude... next time, buy an NWFA lower if you're gonna buy an Anderson, help support the site and show your pride in it. :p :D

The only reason my current build isn't on one is I'm kinda on a "F*** YOU A**HOLES!" EPL-as-political-statement trip. :)

The kit came with a trigger that im throwing on to make sure everything works for now. I will be installing a better one around the end of the project.

So I had posted here before considering a Remington 700 for my first long range rifle but decided I would like another AR-15 build.

I have no idea what specifics I might need to achieve decent results at 500m with 5.56 comfortably as I have only built 1 AR before.

Im wondering about things like twist rate, barrel length, anything else I have no idea about being new. If anyone has material or a youtube video I can also watch to explain this kind of stuff I would be more than happy to look at it!

UPDATE 09/10/2017
Bought Anderson Manufacturing Stripped Lower With Kit from Northwest Armory, $100 TotalView attachment 390398
That is the exact same first part I ever bought when I decided to try my first build too. Then I wandered into Limitless in Washougal. Now look at it...The Stages of AR addiction... my trip down the rabbit hole. IMG_2645.JPG

Jesus those get fancy. Not sure yet if I want a 2 stage trigger. Definitely a "hair" trigger if not a 2 stage. The standard 5lb pull you find on most feels like too much for accurate shooting (For me personally).

Always try both if you can. Some people fancy the 2 stage, some don't. Some prefer really light triggers, others don't really care.

IMHO, the length of trigger pull makes the most difference. Though I don't think that'll be a concern for the AR.

This is something I have been working on for a long time. An AR style rifle in 5.56 caliber that I could use for 600 yard matches. The idea was to get an AR that I could shoot in FTR class.
It is coming together slowly if not reliably. I have a Dalphon lower that I picked up years ago. The trigger is an after market modular unit that leaves a lot to be desired for pull weight, but would be fine for a battle rifle. Not much creep, but not a light trigger by any means. The original upper was also a Dalphon, but last fall I purchased a new after market upper that has a 1:7" twist heavy barrel that is 20 inches long. I put a Leupold 45X45 target scope on it.
The rifle works fairly well, and shoots decent groups at 100 yards, so I made up a load of heavy bullets, ( 84 grain Barns hollow point) and got it on paper at 300 yards.
Last night I took it to the 600 yard match at Tri-County Gun Club and Training Facility In Sherwood, Oregon.
The first problem was that after dialing up 10 minutes of angle I was barely on the backer board, so I started dialing up some more and the Leupold ran out of travel before I got the cross hairs where I needed them. Clearly the scope needs a 20 minute or more rail in order to get it to shoot at the X ring.
I tried to use Kentucky elevation to get the bullets into the X ring by putting the center dot up in the middle of the 9 ring. I did manage a couple of Xs, but over all did not do well enough for the whole process to be encouraging. I managed a 182 score, but the elevation issue is really bothering me. If I put a 20 minute rail on top of the built in rail I think the scope may be too high to get a decent cheek weld for shooting. I may just shim the back scope ring. I don't know how much shim will be required to get the scope on at 600 yards.

AR critter gitter.JPG
Constructive criticism is welcome.

So I had posted here before considering a Remington 700 for my first long range rifle but decided I would like another AR-15 build.

I have no idea what specifics I might need to achieve decent results at 500m with 5.56 comfortably as I have only built 1 AR before.

Im wondering about things like twist rate, barrel length, anything else I have no idea about being new. If anyone has material or a youtube video I can also watch to explain this kind of stuff I would be more than happy to look at it!

UPDATE 09/10/2017

14.5-20inch heavy barrel with 1/7 twist rate will get you out to 600meters with MK262 cartridges or similar. You'll want to use loctite purple on the barrel extension where it fits into the upper. I would go with a MK12 build or a M4 SOPMOD type with the 14.5 socom barrel at minimum. A good barrel and muzzle device will be critical. The upper and lower can be milspec. I recommend PSA premium uppers and lowers. You'll need a good optic for 600meters, and a good trigger - the socom guys are using a milspec precision trigger that runs $200+. If you plan on a precision need for 600+ meters you'll want a AR10 build with 7.62 nato or .300 WM which doubles the cost but expect to reach out to 1000 if need be or 1500 with the 300...

Single stage triggers are still the top of heap in PRS. If you look here you'll see the top 2 triggers used by the pros are both single stage. The first being a Jewell and the second a Timney with the third being a 2 stage...
Best Rifle Trigger – What The Pros Use
It's just like anything else in the gun world... It's a subjective and sometimes heated argument. You just have to try them both and see what's best for you.

Single stage triggers are still the top of heap in PRS. If you look here you'll see the top 2 triggers used by the pros are both single stage. The first being a Jewell and the second a Timney with the third being a 2 stage...
Best Rifle Trigger – What The Pros Use
It's just like anything else in the gun world... It's a subjective and sometimes heated argument. You just have to try them both and see what's best for you.
The best trigger they have listed is for Remington 700. Or a Winchester Model 70. I don't think that it's going to work in an AR.

This is something I have been working on for a long time. An AR style rifle in 5.56 caliber that I could use for 600 yard matches. The idea was to get an AR that I could shoot in FTR class.
It is coming together slowly if not reliably. I have a Dalphon lower that I picked up years ago. The trigger is an after market modular unit that leaves a lot to be desired for pull weight, but would be fine for a battle rifle. Not much creep, but not a light trigger by any means. The original upper was also a Dalphon, but last fall I purchased a new after market upper that has a 1:7" twist heavy barrel that is 20 inches long. I put a Leupold 45X45 target scope on it.
The rifle works fairly well, and shoots decent groups at 100 yards, so I made up a load of heavy bullets, ( 84 grain Barns hollow point) and got it on paper at 300 yards.
Last night I took it to the 600 yard match at Tri-County Gun Club and Training Facility In Sherwood, Oregon.
The first problem was that after dialing up 10 minutes of angle I was barely on the backer board, so I started dialing up some more and the Leupold ran out of travel before I got the cross hairs where I needed them. Clearly the scope needs a 20 minute or more rail in order to get it to shoot at the X ring.
I tried to use Kentucky elevation to get the bullets into the X ring by putting the center dot up in the middle of the 9 ring. I did manage a couple of Xs, but over all did not do well enough for the whole process to be encouraging. I managed a 182 score, but the elevation issue is really bothering me. If I put a 20 minute rail on top of the built in rail I think the scope may be too high to get a decent cheek weld for shooting. I may just shim the back scope ring. I don't know how much shim will be required to get the scope on at 600 yards.

View attachment 391026
Constructive criticism is welcome.
Nice Build... I'm a big fan of making your rifle your own with funky paint and accessories... not ideal for GTW, but for your bench gun...the funkier the better IMO;)
This is probably a silly question, but are you sure your scope mount doesn't already have built in moa? I ask because you obviously had to turn it backwards to get the right eye relief.

84 is a lot of bullet... did it do any good with 69s or 77s? Maybe a little smaller bullet traveling a little faster might help too.

Nice Build... I'm a big fan of making your rifle your own with funky paint and accessories... not ideal for GTW, but for your bench gun...the funkier the better IMO;)

84 is a lot of bullet... did it do any good with 69s or 77s? Maybe a little smaller bullet traveling a little faster might help too.
I agree with the funkier the better and also they should try a lighter grain bullet. That 84 grain is dropping really quickly past 475 yards unless you get more powder behind it. Then still beyond 525 it's like launching artillery rounds.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top