JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One vs the other.

Maybe......it's the weight or the actual size of the BCG or the finish adding friction or even the locking itself? Anyway......you could always just start another build. Isn't that how most of these endless projects begin? LOL.

1681257803490.png

Aloha, Mark

Yes, I previously made sure the rings were staggered. two of them weren't the first time I tested it, but the malfunctions still occurred while they were staggered.
There is no need to stagger the rings, that is a BS myth courtesy of Uncle Sam. That channel in the carrier reduces in diameter which compresses the rings together during it's path of travel.

ETA: Mike with SOLGW explains and proves it...

Last Edited:
Not to derail this thread but how long is a buffer? The rifle I'm having issues with locking back on empty mag has a buffer that's six inches or longer. I thought most buffers were shorter than that. I realigned the gas block using the spaghetti trick and now it will cycle and eject, just not lock on empty mag. Should I move to a lighter buffer? I've tried multiple ammo types, most were 556, some were warm 223 loads too. If I should open a new thread let me know and I apologize.

Not to derail this thread but how long is a buffer? The rifle I'm having issues with locking back on empty mag has a buffer that's six inches or longer. I thought most buffers were shorter than that. I realigned the gas block using the spaghetti trick and now it will cycle and eject, just not lock on empty mag. Should I move to a lighter buffer? I've tried multiple ammo types, most were 556, some were warm 223 loads too. If I should open a new thread let me know and I apologize.
A carbine buffer is roughly 3.25"

A carbine buffer is roughly 3.25"
That's what I was thinking, remembering. I believe I have a true rifle buffer that's a little heavy for this setup. I may swap another one tomorrow eve and function test. This is actually my son's rifle that I decked out with wood furniture and a nice scope I'm trying to get ready for a eastern Oregon trip in two weeks.

Carbine buffers are ~3.25" for use in carbine RE w/ a carbine action spring w/ the following weights:
Carbine = 2.9oz
H = 3.8oz
H2 = 4.5-4.7oz
H3 = 5.3-5.5oz
H6 = 5.2oz (intended for Carbine RE w/ 20" rifle barrel)

Vltor A5 buffers are ~4" for use in an A5 RE w/ a rifle action spring w/ the following weights:
H0 = 3.8oz
H1 = 4.56oz
H2 = 5.33oz
H3 = 6.08oz
H4 = 6.83oz

Rifle buffers are ~6" for use in rifle RE w/ a rifle action spring and weigh 5.1-5.3oz

A carbine spring should measure between 10 1/16" - 11 1/4"
A rifle spring should measure between 11 3/4" - 13 1/2"
If spring shorter than minimum length it is worn out and should be replaced

That's what I was thinking, remembering. I believe I have a true rifle buffer that's a little heavy for this setup. I may swap another one tomorrow eve and function test. This is actually my son's rifle that I decked out with wood furniture and a nice scope I'm trying to get ready for a eastern Oregon trip in two weeks.
A true rifle buffer in a carbine tube?

A true rifle buffer in a carbine tube?
No sir, a rifle length buffer with a rifle length tube and spring. Gas block was slightly misaligned and corrected that tonight, will reliably fire and eject now, just not enough oomph to lock open on empty mag. That's why I was hoping to do a simple buffer swap to help out and was confused after seeing a six plus inch buffer when I'm used to much shorter.

No sir, a rifle length buffer with a rifle length tube and spring. Gas block was slightly misaligned and corrected that tonight, will reliably fire and eject now, just not enough oomph to lock open on empty mag. That's why I was hoping to do a simple buffer swap to help out and was confused after seeing a six plus inch buffer when I'm used to much shorter.
Never mind on my last post. Is the gun well lubed? If not lube it wet. What ammo are you using? I always use full power NATO ammo when doing diagnostics.

Never mind on my last post. Is the gun well lubed? If not lube it wet. What ammo are you using? I always use full power NATO ammo when doing diagnostics.
Yes, have tried full power 556 ammo but want to use some "warm", almost hot reloaded ballistic tip vmax loads that work in other AR's with identical setups for sage rat duty. It at least cycles rounds now and I'm just trying to get it to lock on an empty mag. I feel that a slightly lighter weight buffer will allow the BCG to move ever so slightly back further and lock open if that makes sense.

Can you lock back the BCG manually ?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads