JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello Everyone,

My nephew graduates HS soon an heads off to USMC Basic in July. Wanted to see if anyone had some good preparation ideas, or thoughts I could send his way.

Books
Articles
Movies
others.....

Was thinking of some marksmanship books, but then thought to not limit it to just those.

Also thinking of looking for some marksmanship training in the south central/east PA area. Any input towards that would be appreciated as well.

More succinctly:
You have a nephew headed to USMC Basic.
What would you tell him, or give him?

Best

Hello Everyone,

My nephew graduates HS soon an heads off to USMC Basic in July. Wanted to see if anyone had some good preparation ideas, or thoughts I could send his way.

Books
Articles
Movies
others.....

Was thinking of some marksmanship books, but then thought to not limit it to just those.

Also thinking of looking for some marksmanship training in the south central/east PA area. Any input towards that would be appreciated as well.

More succinctly:
You have a nephew headed to USMC Basic.
What would you tell him, or give him?

Best

Preface: Havent served myself, but spent lots and lots of time with Marines and Sailors growing up so this is hearsay from what they told me.

Do not do anything for marksmanship at this point. The Marines have their way of shooting that will be taught to him and unless he is already a proficient shooter any training you get him now will have to be unlearned and the marine way will have to be learned.

in short, it is better to come in with no training and a fresh slate, rather than come in with potentially poor habits that will have to be broken.

What would I tell him...
( Warning Army Veteran...Not USMC ...so there is that...:D )

Keep your eyes open....
( As in think before you speak , listen to and learn from those who actually know...And be ready for new opportunities when they show up...)

Its okay to be in the middle of the pack at times...

It only seems like an impossible task at that moment....

Do not take what the Drill Instructor calls you personally...
( He will be one of the most "fair" individuals your nephew will ever meet )

When you are tired and feel like quitting ....Dig a little deeper...and drive on....

Basic is very personal and everyone will react differently to it...
No book , movie , etc...really comes close.
Yes some will give you an idea...of that person's experience....but it may not be what your nephew relates to , or goes through....
Andy

Hey, just finished up doing 10+ years in the Corps so hope i might e able to help

Boot camp is the most fun I NEVER want to have again. Don't take that a bad way though

Couple of quick things:
Keep your head down and move fast as fast as you can
Know that you can never move fast enough for the Drill Instructors (DI)
Take it one day at a time. I used to think, just make it to morning chow, then just make it lunch and so on. After a while you start thinking "just make it to Sunday" (The only time in the week that you get a "break", albeit for only 2 hours)
You will make friends in boot camp and Corps that will last a life time

And most importantly, the fastest way out of boot camp is to graduate.

I'm sure there are more and if I think of any I will post them as well

Boot camp is just a game...

A very serious game.

All the rules will be explained as he needs to know them.
Don't break the rules...

Find humor when he can, just keep a straight face and don't laugh about it.

Do not pack winter cloths. Boot camp in July, August, September, :rolleyes: when they say stay hydrated just do it.

Think.

I got 14 weeks with the Marines in AOCS. Single best thing he can do in preparation is running, push ups, hop n pops, etc.. Everything else he needs to know will be taught to him when he gets there. Doesn't matter what he thinks he knows he will be taught what the Marine Corps wants him to know. The absolute WORST thing he can say is "But Gunny, I saw how to do that in a movie/read about it in a book." 13568998_1221138957898995_558162117464249874_o.jpeg

Last Edited:
Boot camp is designed to challenge a person to push themselves harder and further then they ever thought possible, to show that what you thought your limits were, are not even close to what they actually are. It is NOT designed to make one fail, though sometimes you think it is, it's actually designed to make one succeed and to be able to go on the serve. Don't take anything personal, when the D.I. yells, it's not usually at one person, it's so that the entire platoon can hear what one person did wrong, so that they can learn from it and not do it themselves, be prepared to be an example, and take it as a personal challenge to do better!

U.S.A.F. 1988-2008 SCMS

Get in shape, keep your mouth shut and do what's expected of you. Fail to do any of these and you'll be shown why you should have heeded the advice.

My info may be a bit outdated since I went through it in 2005, but here are a couple of thoughts:

• The only things really worth studying before boot camp are basics: rank structure, general USMC history (birthday & location, noteworthy Marines, major battles), locations of major USMC bases and large units (divisions & air wings), and the 11 general orders. Those are things DIs, not even always our own, would ask at random times.
  • If you have an AR15/M16/M4 around, practice disassembly and reassembly.
  • Don't worry about marksmanship unless you've got a Marine around that can teach it the way the USMC wants it done. I've had multiple marksmanship instructors say they would rather have completely new shooters they can train from scratch than people with bad habits they need to unteach. Even if he doesn't pick up "bad" habits and actually is a good shot, he'll still have a hard time if it isn't done the way his instructors want to see it done.
  • Lots of physical training. It actually wasn't quite as physically challenging as I expected, but being able to exceed the minimum is always good. And everything after boot camp gets harder anyway.
  • Some people may disagree with me on this, but I found it helpful to not try too hard to stand out. Never be first or last at anything. If you don't know what to do, just copy what other people are doing. You've got a whole career ahead to be the best leader and whatever-your-MOS-is-person. I didn't give a damn about being the platoon guide or honor grad or whatever. It served me well, and I got opportunities to stand out later on in my unit, which is where it really mattered anyway.
Best of luck to your nephew!

Okay since no one is going to say it....

1. Drill instructors like hugs
2. Make sure to always smile
3. If you get tired or overwhelmed just call for a time out.
4. Ask to call home often.
5. Have family and friends mail cookies and things that are glittery.

I could go on and on...

But in all seriousness though, he just needs to be in as good a shape as he can going in both physically and mentally.(they will push him even further) anything else he needs to know will be taught to him.

1) Never volunteer
2) A good strategy is being 3rd guy/3rd row. The time to standout will be during gate tests.

Congrats on his enlistment! Thank him for all of us. :)

US Army Armored Cav, Cold War.

The part that sucks the most is the length. 13 weeks starts to feel like forever around week 4. Worst I ever felt in boot camp was when somebody yelled out "just think privates, today we are exactly halfway through". Don't be that guy.

Pushups, pullups, 5 mile runs and you'll be ahead of the game.

USMC, 1371

Do not not send any of that. Let the Marines teach what they need to teach. Send encouragement and when he's there, send him letters. Save up for a great gift when he graduates, such as a nice hunting rifle, over-under shotgun or something. More than likely the last thing he's going to want to see is an AR-15 after what he'll have been through. Not for a hatred of them but for something different and beautiful and as a diversion.

USMC 1999-2004
Alumni MCRD SAN DIEGO 3rd Battalion Charlie Company Platoon 3107.

You know, this place is fantastic. Well, sure you do, why else would you be here, and of course it's the people who make it so. Just a couple of hours and so many great thoughts, recommendations and advice.

Thank you all for your input!

He's really excited. Saw how his brother is racking up the student loan debt with no real direction yet and wanted a different path. At a minimum plans to use the GI bill to offset education expenses in the future.

He loves to work out, did a 15 mile run the other day and planing a 30 mile version soon. I was going to recommend he load up a backpack to take with him on his runs. Yes, lots of water, Basic in July, I start sweating just thinking about that. I'll pass along the specific PT recommendations.

One book I was thinking of: Jocko Willink, Discipline Equals Freedom: Field Manual

I went to Army boot camp in the 90's, never a marine, but here are a few ideas:
Physical fitness. Hiking with a heavy pack, running three miles for time, pull ups, the whole bit. Don't worry about actual scores right now, but only improvement. If he needs a pack I have plenty of extra rucks I will send him for free.
Just get used to the idea of being yelled at even if he does everything right. The process is designed to test your ability to perform under stress.
Memorizing USMC and USN rank insignia and some very basic USMC history would be helpful but not essential. Might be motivational too.
During challenges, break them down into small mental goals. When on long ruck marches with painful feet don't think about the ten miles remaining. Only focus on each step. "One more step" and repeat. Also, in ruck marches try to get up front. When in the back the accordion effect will kill you due to all of the running when the drill sergeants yell "catch up" to the people towards the back of the column. This applies to everyone, even the fit people in back who are at the mercy of the fifty people ahead of them who let too much space develop between them and the guy in front of them.
Don't try to get away with stupid chit. The drill sergeants did all that when they were young and they've seen hundreds of recruits try the same stuff. Just stick with the program and get the career off to a good start. It could be a very honorable and rewarding life for him.

It's amazing how a Marine DI can use two sheets and a pillow case to make you feel like an wimp, but that's one surprise I'd hate to ruin.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top