JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hello Everyone,

My nephew graduates HS soon an heads off to USMC Basic in July. Wanted to see if anyone had some good preparation ideas, or thoughts I could send his way.

Books
Articles
Movies
others.....

Was thinking of some marksmanship books, but then thought to not limit it to just those.

Also thinking of looking for some marksmanship training in the south central/east PA area. Any input towards that would be appreciated as well.

More succinctly:
You have a nephew headed to USMC Basic.
What would you tell him, or give him?

Best

Can't believe some of these comments.

How about this: Forget about books, movies, and all of the comments from the "gun show -flage" (Gray hair, gray beard, you lose them in the crowd) over-the-hill crowd here at NWF.

If you want him to get through Boot Camp easier, he needs to PT (physical Training) his bubblegum off starting... Yesterday. Last I checked, the Marine Corps PT Test is a three-mile run, push-ups, sit-ups and chin-ups. That's what'll help him get through Boot Camp easier. If he shows-up there out of shape, it'll be hell for him.

- CPT, USAR, MI, RET

My son is the 10 year vet that posted, left the Corps as a Sgt. Let me tell you how proud his dad is of his service. I never served, but I'm thankful and grateful for all of you that did. Genuine respect and appreciation to all from a USMC dad.

Oh yeah, PT, PT, and more PT....for real.

Running is the most important thing he can do before he leaves, the second most important thing is rucking, load a pack with 65 pounds of gear or weights or bags of sand, lace up some boots and go for some brisk 12 mile walks, be sure to include hills and try doing it in the early morning and the heat of the day, just alternate days. I saw more guys suffer during 11B school from the ruck than anything else. If he can go in with a long stride and tough feet he will do fine.

Not a Marine, but an Army guy.
Sr. Drill Sergeant, B Co, 1-19 IN Fort Benning GA. 2008-2010

PT, PT, PT
Rank Structure
Marine Corp History
PT, PT, PT

His DIs will teach him how to walk, talk and dress like a Marine, but most importantly they will teach him how to be a team member and how not to fail.

Hopefully he is the guy that expects to be first and the best.

Can't believe some of these comments.

How about this: Forget about books, movies, and all of the comments from the "gun show -flage" (Gray hair, gray beard, you lose them in the crowd) over-the-hill crowd here at NWF.

If you want him to get through Boot Camp easier, he needs to PT (physical Training) his bubblegum off starting... Yesterday. Last I checked, the Marine Corps PT Test is a three-mile run, push-ups, sit-ups and chin-ups. That's what'll help him get through Boot Camp easier. If he shows-up there out of shape, it'll be hell for him.

- CPT, USAR, MI, RET
Lighten Up Francis!
Almost Nobody has posted recommendations for books or movies here, and Some of us Old Fartz as you call us, have been there, done that, and got the tee shirt to show for it! How about being team player instead of belittling a bunch of vets and members who are offering good sage advice!

TLDR: Be in decent physical shape. Have some smarts and common sense about you. Shut up and do what you are told to the best of your ability. Don't break down when some intimidating guy yells at you. Gut it out and you will make it.

I would echo what ScottinPDX wrote.

Get in shape with the basic Marine PT stuff. Running, pull-ups, crunches/situps or whatever they are using nowadays.

Getting a pack and going on walks. Average of about 3 milles in 45-50 minutes. Weight to be around 50 pounds or so. Work up to it.

Stay in the middle of the pack, it really doesn't matter in boot camp if you are a squad leader, what happens at your MOS school and in the fleet that get you recognized and promoted. As a side note, we had a few folks that flew so under the radar that they were never selected for a good thrashing/IPT. At the end of boot camp they were brought to the quarter deck and soundly thrashed. They kept notes on everyone.

No marksmanship training. The Corps will provide.

Sure, you can learn all the basic knowledge before hand and it may help. General orders, rifle breakdown and re-assmbley, but unless the kid is slow it will beaten into every recruit courtesy of the USMC.

One thing that I have a bit of a passion for is swim qual. Can he swim/float? Afraid of the water? In my humble opinion as a former MCIWS, the corps passes on through far too many folks who can't pass the basic swim qual level yet they will put a recruit on hold that doesn't pass the PFT.

If I may ask, what is his MOS going to be?

USMC 1988-1994 so I'm outdated

Run, don't touch your face, don't mouth breath, run, don't put your hands in your pockets, run, learn to talk in third person "This recruit blah blah" there is no "I"... Run, don't sleep, Run, shave against the grain, run, don't sleep, run, don't talk... and be prepared for the best decision of his life.... oh and run

PS do not sign an open contract!!!

Lighten Up Francis!
Almost Nobody has posted recommendations for books or movies here, and Some of us Old Fartz as you call us, have been there, done that, and got the tee shirt to show for it! How about being team player instead of belittling a bunch of vets and members who are offering good sage advice!

You got a shirt? :eek: All I got was sore muscles, yelled at and a busted up knee!!!:D

Pull-ups, sit-ups, pushups, 3 mile runs. Daily.
Cut-out comfort pogie bait, candy, pastries. (I recall getting Oreos in the chow line from time to time).
Don't bother stealing food for later. Somebody gets caught, everybody gets turned inside out.
Eat and drink when able, especially drink water. Hungry is just a feeling, set it aside.
Can't take another step? Take one more. Think of all the snuffies before you. They did it.
My promised MOS was RADAR REPAIR, my orders on T77 were for Field Radio.
BTW did end up going to RADAR REPAIR about 2 years later. Mother Marine Corps has her ways...
Remind him to be situationally aware. One guy stepped in a crack and broke his leg. He got sent back a series.
Don't bother trying to "game" the system. 5 platoons (or so) per series. 3 (or so) drill instructors per platoon.
That means 15 (or so) DI's to watch EVERYONE at any time. Don't bother...

No such thing as "BASIC", Marines have "BOOT CAMP"...

Just get there and do as your told, everything is already programmed and choreographed to the nth degree...

USMC 1969-91

Minimal Stuff. Save for when he graduates. Short notes with words of encouragement for the duration.

Advice,
A little close - but Lift. As in pick up heavy stuff. Need strength - endurance will come.

They even have a program for guys over 50.
The Bayer and Biofreeze Corps? I'm not even 50 yet and think I pulled a hammy just from reading this thread. I did find out this week that I'm a year younger than I thought I was, so I'm old enough to not know how old I am

Seriously though, I come from a family of veterans and was talked out of joining several times (including at the recruiter's office). While some here have recommended not joining based on their experience, I can tell you that not joining has been one of my biggest, most frequent regrets. Not sure if it's "grass is greener" or "careful what you wish for"

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top