JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
aaaaawwwwww..... I love recruiters. :s0112:

Just reporting what my sister told me. To be honest, didn't really know what 'recon' meant, other than what one might infer. She did say after boot camp and what sounded like time in a regular unit, if all goes well, he'd have a chance to tryout for, I think she said Force Recon. She also mentioned there was a 99% washout rate. So yea, most likely a recruiting 'tool'. Was USAF myself, a whole different world.

Just reporting what my sister told me. To be honest, didn't really know what 'recon' meant, other than what one might infer. She did say after boot camp and what sounded like time in a regular unit, if all goes well, he'd have a chance to tryout for, I think she said Force Recon. She also mentioned there was a 99% washout rate. So yea, most likely a recruiting 'tool'. Was USAF myself, a whole different world.
That's pretty accurate.
Marine Force Recon (Reconnaissance) is the USMC's elite fighting force... similar to Army Rangers in that they recieve special training and it's very difficult to get in/stay in. Not quite a Special Forces unit though, and not under SOCOM.
Marines had no Special Forces teams, per se, until earlier this century when MARSOC was formed.
Like any intense military training program the wash-out rates are high... you never know until you try.
Best of luck to him.
Semper Fi

"While some here have recommended not joining based on their experience, I can tell you that not joining has been one of my biggest, most frequent regrets."

There are a lot of regrets out there. Think about the regrets you'd have after killing some man defending his country from the invaders. I'd be a lot more supportive if the US military was actually *in* the US, defending our borders, rather than gallivanting around in the globalist crusade. But with a $700 billion budget there is apparently still not enough money to finish putting up a wall. :rolleyes:

Not trying to sound or be argumentative here....So please don't take what I post below that way.

Speaking only for myself here :
In regards to regret in killing men in combat...
Killing in combat is a very personal thing...and everyone who does so will react differently...
And that reaction may be different as time goes by.
How I feel and think about the killing that I have done in combat is different now , than when immediately afterwards...or even days to years afterwards.

Also something to remember...
Even if deployed to a combat zone ...one may never have to kill anyone.
And it can be difficult at times to know that you did in fact kill someone during a firefight...

Again just my thoughts here...
Not to be taken as anything other than something to consider.
Andy

The only reservation I have about someone joining the military is the recruiter's quota expectation and the lengths some of them go to meet them. Talk about gilding a Lily to flat out lies. They are less concerned about whether an individual is suited for military duty than getting them to sign on the dotted line. This causes problems not only for the enlistee but also causes problems for the chain of command having to deal with the situation's aftermath. This MOS business is the same as requests for duty stations, that's why when I was in we called it a" wish list". We used to joke if you didn't want a duty assignment... Put it on your wish list! You go where the need you and do what they tell you based upon their needs not your desires. Not saying that's not how it should be but people thinking about joining need to go into it with their eyes open and temper their expectations. People that aren't suited for military duty quickly become malcontents that interfere with morale and are a danger to themselves and others. This is especially true for immature kids that join who aren't willing or able to accept consequences for their actions and man- up. If the individual is capable of adapting and works hard there can be opportunity to advance and possibly get an opportunity to move into an area they are interested in( or atleast have a chance to either wash-out or make it). I saw these opportunities happen many times when I was in the military; unfortunately, it didn't usually happen until a person was nearing re-enlistment date and separation from service LOL. Call it a re-enlistment incentive, or whatever, but it's not a bad practice. Why spend time and money training someone without knowing their capability and commitment based upon seeing whether the man is suitable based upon their service to date? Too many kids these days have unrealistic expectations in this day and age where their parents and the far- left tell them they are all winners and everyone gets a trophy.... Hate to generalize but a large portion of this generation feels entitled and think they all should start at the top.... I see it everyday in civilian life and that's a sad commentary on our school systems and the indulgent parents that raise these kids this way. My Dad was a hardcore WW2 vet who passed away at 92 4 years ago and instilled a good work ethic and insisted that we were responsible. If you got hurt, you bit on a stick, rubbed some dirt on it and got back up. You never quit, you didn't whine, and if you didn't like something you made the best of it. This served me well throughout life and got me through when SHTF. I passed this on to my kids( who unlike me, never experienced military duty or war) and it prepared them for life on life's terms and they are all grateful today. I taught them things inspite of their pissing and moaning at the time because it was the right way not the easy way. They later told me that they used to cuss me under their breath at the time, but they also thanked me for instilling those values in spite of their thoughts at the time. My kids range in age from 47 to 37 and the " baby" even told me I should have been harder on him LOL. I guess I got soft in my old age, he was pretty headstrong and used to play my wife against me to get out of somethings and because he was the baby his Mom used to run interference for him sometimes. In spite of that, he turned out to be a great kid so I guess he got enough of the gift I tried to give him. That's my 2 cents worth and my life's observations. I'd rather hire someone who completed military service than some kid coming out of highschool any day of the week. They have already demonstrated accepting responsibility and know the value of teamwork

He is an excellent swimmer. Qualified for several state level meets and national YMCA meets. Also a lifeguard.

Me too.

He could have been a rockstar as a USCG Aviation Rescue Swimmer, an even harder and more elite school... instead he wants to run a lot and play with his gun.... <sigh> :p;):D

maxresdefault.jpg

uscg-swimmer.jpg

rescue-swimmer.jpg

coast-guard-calver_h.jpg

SIERRA%20Justin%20Bastien%20Resue%20SS-6%20WB.jpg

51JtQyEAauL.jpg

:D:D:D

I served 24 years in the Marines as infantryman with military occupational specialties (MOS) of 0369, 0351, 8711, 8412. The advice to you as a considerate uncle is to send and provide one thing throughout recruit training--mail. The most important thing he will want is something that re-attaches him to loved ones...indicating that there is an end to the madness. He does not need any learning material or special gear from you; he'll get all he needs at recruit training.

As for our future Marine, he only needs to focus on a few intangible things--mental strength (continued motivation) and physical training. Like someone indicated already, he needs to run, run again, run some more, complete proper Marine Corps crunches, and complete lots of dead-hang pullups. If he has an active recruiter, he has already been advised and started on all of this.

I wish him well, and I am certain he will come out of recruit training a different young man.

Kind regards.
Sam Unsworth (USMC Retired)

Hello Everyone,

My nephew graduates HS soon an heads off to USMC Basic in July. Wanted to see if anyone had some good preparation ideas, or thoughts I could send his way.

Books
Articles
Movies
others.....

Was thinking of some marksmanship books, but then thought to not limit it to just those.

Also thinking of looking for some marksmanship training in the south central/east PA area. Any input towards that would be appreciated as well.

More succinctly:
You have a nephew headed to USMC Basic.
What would you tell him, or give him?

Best

Start running now. I mean it literally. Run. Lots of it. Think you're in shape? Think again. Also your nephew will be "thrashed" from time to time, ie: the drill instructors will take him and others, or sometimes the whole squad and make them do calisthenics until they either drop or puke. Not joking about this.

Second, Marine Corps training is designed to tear you down mentally. Not joking. They tear down who you were and mold you into what they want you to be which is a person who will follow orders without question.

Basic training marksmanship instruction is subpar.

Hope that helps.

Last Edited:
SHIN-SPLINTS

Regardless of what branch one joins, running any distance every day can be a new experience for some.

Most military people I know got severe shin-splints for the first time in boot camp and wondered if they might ever get past the pain. I know I had the same concern in 1977, especially given the crap footwear I was issued. And we always ran on pavement. Finally got over it, but damn that hurt every day for a long time.

Fast forward half a century, and I believe many/most branches let recruits choose their own running shoes now. Please correct me if I have this wrong.

Even in his own high-quality ground grabbers, my boy got bad shin-splints in training at Ft. Benning a couple years ago. He already prepped and ran a lot for a year before boot camp. But the Army ran him even more, sometimes in cadence on pavement, and often with a pack to carry.

One exercise I found to prepare and strengthen the shins is to spend a few minutes several times every day with your toes jammed under something heavy like a couch. Then lean back very slightly and try to lift the couch with your toes. I know of no other exercise that stretches/strengthens shins. It helped me a lot.

Last Edited:
Hello Everyone,

My nephew graduates HS soon an heads off to USMC Basic in July. Wanted to see if anyone had some good preparation ideas, or thoughts I could send his way.

Books
Articles
Movies
others.....

Was thinking of some marksmanship books, but then thought to not limit it to just those.

Also thinking of looking for some marksmanship training in the south central/east PA area. Any input towards that would be appreciated as well.

More succinctly:
You have a nephew headed to USMC Basic.
What would you tell him, or give him?

Best

times are different now
in 1967/68 our high school had a special gym class just those of us joining the Military.
totally voluntary and run by a retired marine DI
we even had drown proofing drills in the pool and fireman carry practice - we had to run 100 yds down field, pick up another kid over our shoulders and run 100 yds back
calisthenics and 5 mile runs
we were run to the point of dropping in the hot So Cal sun, screamed at and verbally abused - but it was pure volunteer
Sept 1968, basic was a breeze
if he's coming from the NW, Marine boot camp in July will be Hell to adapt to with the weather
I took my son down to Riverside, Ca 2 years ago in July, he could barely walk around in the heat and sun for 30 min
back in '68, I used to run 5 miles in that heat
of course today, when the temp gets over 90 deg here in Washington, it's way to hot outside for human activity

Hey there everyone!
I've been slowly working on catching up on thanking each of you for your input. Had so much good input I kept hitting the pm limiter and I'm still not caught up. I'll get there eventually! Didn't want to wait to get the latest news out to all of you.
Anyway, long past due for an update. I sent along what was shared here and he was very grateful for all the good advise. His start date got pushed way into November. Add two weeks of CV19 isolation pre Boot Camp, and it's just this morning that he finished the Crucible, so as I understand he is now officially a Marine! Haven't talked to him yet but excited to. I'll pass along any pertinent updates. Thanks again for all the great input, I suspect it really made a difference for him. I really appreciate all the time, effort and thought that went into what you shared. Thank you all.

Hey there everyone!
I've been slowly working on catching up on thanking each of you for your input. Had so much good input I kept hitting the pm limiter and I'm still not caught up. I'll get there eventually! Didn't want to wait to get the latest news out to all of you.
Anyway, long past due for an update. I sent along what was shared here and he was very grateful for all the good advise. His start date got pushed way into November. Add two weeks of CV19 isolation pre Boot Camp, and it's just this morning that he finished the Crucible, so as I understand he is now officially a Marine! Haven't talked to him yet but excited to. I'll pass along any pertinent updates. Thanks again for all the great input, I suspect it really made a difference for him. I really appreciate all the time, effort and thought that went into what you shared. Thank you all.
Best news ever! :s0160::s0160::s0160:

Finishing Marine boot and the Crucible is something you and your son can be very proud of for the rest of your lives. Congratulations from one Marine Dad to another, and Semper Fi to your brave son...!!

I remember the day I finished the Crucible. It remains one of the most vivid memories of my life...it stands out more than most. He has a lot to be proud of in himself and his fellow Marines.

My next piece of advice to him is something of which the importance is often overlooked. Start on the Commandants reading list and never stop reading from it. Take it seriously. It's informative, enriching and it will set him up for successes in the Marine Corps that many others won't have. It will make him conversant in the why's, the how's, the thought processes, and the big picture.

My son went though it a couple of years ago (after he graduated from HS). He is supposed to be leaving the service in October 2021 after 5 years.

He trained by doing some PT stuff on his own. Prior to entry, the recruiter even took the pre-Marines and helped them to get in shape by doing some group PT. And of course, talking with them. Helping to hopefully prepare them (their mind) for USMC life.

BTW....the Army recruiting office near me also does the same. I frequently see them doing group PT in the East Vancouver PD's open field (across the street from their recruiting station).

My hat is off to all the young men and women who have chosen to serve.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Well, good for the young man. I'm outdated, but my understanding that if he made it through that he is on the downhill side of things.

Now, no boot jackets nor tattoo's. Learn to deprogram and become a human that is a Marine.

I had a young man that I know that went through probably a bit before your kid did. No leave time after boot? Straight to MOS school?

What MOS route did he go?

Know the difference between your rifle and your gun.

LOL.....

BTW.....i tried to get my son to sit through the movie before he joined. Rrrrright...... kids don't want too watch "Old Movies".

Aloha, Mark

PS...
What MOS route did he go?

I have no idea what the exact title is. He does maintenance work on the AV-8 Harriers out in Yuma, AZ. That being said, he likes the emphasis that the USMC places on all Marines being a "Rifleman". He is proud that he has shot expert every year (so far).

Last Edited:
Well, good for the young man. I'm outdated, but my understanding that if he made it through that he is on the downhill side of things.

Now, no boot jackets nor tattoo's. Learn to deprogram and become a human that is a Marine.
My daughter was approached by the Marines just before graduation from college, she has a degree in
Criminal Justice and trained with the FBI anti terrorism unit in Portland
she showed up at the recruiting office and took off her jacket - their faces fell
she has tattoos that would show with the Summer Uniform - accepted in Portland college culture
but tattoos were allowed only for enlisted, no showing tattoos for Officer ranks
even with her degree, the best they could offer her was E-6
I think that may have changed by now

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews