JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good info so far. A condensed list that I recommend, most already mentioned:

1. Physical fitness, running and rucking as already mentioned. Basic body weight exercises, push up, burpees, squat, pull up.
2. Rank structure, both Marine Corps and Navy.
3. Memorize the General Orders.

And this book:

While those that say "they will teach you all you need" are correct, it's easier if you have as much of that "learning" as you can already on board.

Oh, and did I mention physical fitness?

Last Edited:
Summer boot camp is gonna suck! Honestly dont give him any advice beside Run and run often. If he is not in shape, Life is going to suck! The whole point of boot camp is to brake you down and build you back up the Marine Corps way. The DI's will teach him everything he needs to know. Each platoon is a little different. The less he has to forget and relearn the better. I came out of NJROTC. It was just enough different to make things really hard.
Again, RUN and run often. Stop watching TV, hanging out with friends, Just run

He better be going 03!

MCRD Kilo 3150

My stay at MCRD San Diego was 30 years ago but I doubt much has changed.

As noted, PT, PT and more PT. Keep it fairly basic. Pull-ups, push-ups, fludder kicks, burpees, dips, swimming, running and road marching with a pack.

As far as marksmanship goes, I'll be the lone voice. Yes, learn to shoot a rifle, but do it right. Go learn properly at a CMP clinic; fundamentals are all the same and this will actually be very close to what the Corps trains.

Do what you're told when you're told and to the best of your ability. Boot camp is designed to make recruits into Marines, not to make failures. It's not hard, just go in with the mindset of never giving up.

Last Edited:
So many good inputs, way beyond what I was expecting, yet exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you!

His MOS - Recon
He is an excellent swimmer. Qualified for several state level meets and national YMCA meets. Also a lifeguard.
He went on a 15 mile run 5 or 6 days ago and a 22 mile run today. He can max out all the PT goals/requirements in under the allowed times. I think he's on track as far as PT, now just to keep him from an injury.

He has not had the chance to do much shooting at all. Was thinking to just get him a basic intro, maybe not enough to develop any non USMC habits. Though I hear you, if he listens and applies what he is told he will likely shoot well enough. Sounds like not something worth worrying much about.

Think I'll look for a good read on USMC history and maybe a biography or two on a Marine that exemplifies the best of the USMC. I'll check out the book DLS brought up as well. Didn't mean to suggest I was looking for a book on boot camp, more along the lines of motivational type stuff.

Thanks again everyone, this has been great.

USMC bootcamp in 2007. A few of the guys I served with in the fleet are Drill Instructors now so your nephew is in for a treat.

1. Watch "Ears Open, Eyeballs Click".....I think it can be found on Youtube. It follows around a Basic Training Platoon circa 2006. It's a little edited for the public but gives a pretty good idea of the day to day happening at boot camp

2. Listen and do what you're told. It's really not hard. They won't let you die or kill you (although it may feel like it some days). The Drill Instructors want to make Marines. So just do what you're told.

3. You won't ever get it right. It doesn't matter how tight your rack is, how clean you're rifle is, or how your uniform is squared away. The Drill Instructors will find something wrong and then smoke you and everyone else. It's not personal, it's part of the game. You won't get it right, you will get messed with, accept it.

4. Boot Camp is not the Marine Corps. It's three months, that's it. Three months to take civilians from around the country and teach them the very basics (very, very basics). The fleet is entirely different. Just know that you have to get through three months and then be willing to learn from the (good) NCOs when you get to the fleet

5. Be aggressive. Embrace that life is going to suck. If the Drill Instructor notices you you'll probably end up getting smoked. It really sucks in the moment...but after three months you'll put on plenty of muscle...that's something the girls back home don't seem to mind. So a pretty good trade off in my opinion.

6. Get to boot camp in shape. You don't have to be a super athlete, but if you can crank out 10 pull ups, 90 crunches, and a 21 minute three mile when you show up then you won't have any problem keeping up and excelling.

7. The Marine Corps is what you make it. Some people swallow the kool-aid on day one and think the Corps can do no wrong...other people blame the Corps for every problem under the sun. Most of the time the job is what you make it. Try your hardest, be honest, distance yourself from people that will drag you down, seek out mentorship, and have fun.

8. Boot Camp is not the Marine Corps. I'm repeating this because it is so important. Be willing to learn and don't give up. You'll graduate and it will be over. And then there is another 4-20 years of a career ahead of you. Focus on who and what you want to be as a Marine. Keep a goal in mind and Boot Camp will be a memory before you know it.

The best days of my life so far, and the worst days I don't wish on anyone, have been in the Corps. Know that it will be a test of fire that will change your life. Try to be aware of the changes as they happen and appreciate the little things.

Good luck and Semper Fidelis.

Tell him to hang on to his bubblegum, keep his mouth shut unless spoken to and keep an open and positive mindset. He needs to.learn to not take anything personal. The purpose of bootcamp is to break you down and rebuild you ... Boys become men and the things you learn may very well save your life. Be a team player, you are only as strong as the weakest among you. God Country Honor and Family.. Do your job or whatever task is at hand to the best of your ability. Instill trust in your brothers and learn to trust in them... It's WE program, there is no I in TEAM. Tell him to stay safe, shoot straight, and thank him for his service . He's in for a Hell of a ride. Semper Fi

I didn't read everything posted before me, so this is probably going to go over already covered territory...
Don't:
Bother with marksmanship training.
Pack a bunch of stuff... just what you're wearing and maybe something for the plane trip home afterwards.
Get a haircut... it's ALL coming off anyways and the DI's have seen it all. They're NOT impressed.

Do:
Concentrate on physical fitness. Running, pull-ups, sit-ups. Cardio, core, and upper body strength will be important.
Assume an Alpha-role before even getting on the plane (if possible). Platoon Guides and squad leaders will be sniffed-out almost immediately.
Brush-up on some Marine Corps history... Smedly Butler, Chesty Puller, so on. He'll learn it all, but it helps if the names, places, and dates are already somewhat familiar.

Once there, listen-up, pay attention, follow orders as best as possible. Lots of confusion coming off the bus. Gotta keep his head and his azz wired.
He'll never ever be able to move fast enough. The Drill Instructors already know what they're going to do and they're going to do it no matter how tight the platoon is.

"We got about an hour before chow... boot maintinence?"
"Have em dump all their footlockers on the deck... tell em it's because they were grab-azzing in line at morning chow"
"Were they?"
"Nope"

It's all a game, but with a purpose. Leave the attitude at home, the Marine Corps will be unimpressed. Play along and pretend you don't know any better.

As far a MOS of "Recon" goes...

Yeah not sure how the USMC works this out...
But when I was the Army ( many moons ago )
You had to have been in for at least a year and a E-4 preferably , as well as both Airborne and Ranger qualified to be in a LRRP / LRSD unit....again when I was in those types of units.
Not just a newly minted graduate from Basic....
And again...I was Army not a Marine...so there may be some differences here.
Andy

aaaaawwwwww..... I love recruiters. :s0112:

I think there's some sort of program that 'guarentees' you a shot at Recon; however, if you wash out it's straight back to a grunt unit.
Also, I've read that since they reinstituted the Marine Raiders Recon guys end up getting used like regular infantry most of the time and are pretty unhappy about it.

Lots of good advice and I didn't read everything but from my experience in Army basic in the 90's was to pay attention to detail, watch and learn from other's mistakes (there will be plenty so learn what not to do). Take just the minimum personal stuff on the list. Keep it simple. Try not to stick out (in a bad way), just blend in. Don't ever fall out of a run. There is always somebody slower than you (or at least you hope :D), just don't be last. Remember what it is all for. A military career will be some of the best times and worst times of your life. Friendships you form will last a lifetime.

I think there's some sort of program that 'guarentees' you a shot at Recon; however, if you wash out it's straight back to a grunt unit.
Also, I've read that since they reinstituted the Marine Raiders Recon guys end up getting used like regular infantry most of the time and are pretty unhappy about it.
I've heard the same.
Getting into a Recon Battalion is no gimmee and it sure can't be guaranteed no matter what SSGT Jody says at the recruiting office.

General Mattis seemed to have a particular hardon for Recon units in the early days of OIF, using them as blitzkreig troops to punch through and move fast into Taliban-held territories. Not really their "thing", but he seemed to enjoy running them boys ragged.

RAH the Corps.

Last Edited:
I've heard the same.
Getting into a Recon Battalion is no gimmee and it sure can't be guaranteed no matter what SSGT Jody says at the recruiting office.

General Mattis seemed to have a particular hardon for Recon units in the early days of OIF, using them as blitzkreig troops to punch through and move fast into Taliban-held territories. Not really their "thing", but he seemed to enjoy running them boys ragged.

RAH the Corps.

They should probably just fold recon in MARSOC, as it feels like many Marine commanders really don't know how to use them effectively as intended. I'm not even sure the current Commandant even likes his branch of service. He's stripping them of tanks, military police, most heavy artillery, a lot of their air capability and some infantry units. Also, they're moving MARSOC completely to the east coast, despite supposedly gearing up for a pacific oriented force trained for peer conflict with China. It being the Marines, you just know they'll make all these cuts, but the funding for their unmanned anti-ship drones and other high tech stuff will never come through. They'll just be given worn out Army junk and have to pretend it's cutting edge.

FTA
"The Marine Corps is cutting all military occupational specialties associated with tank battalions, law enforcement units and bridging companies, the service announced Monday. It's also reducing its number of infantry battalions from 24 to 21 and cutting tiltrotor, attack and heavy-lift aviation squadrons."

This bums me out. As one of my instructors at Combat Engineer school said: "The purpose of a bridge is to get from the near side where you are, to the far side where you ain't"

I don't know, but it seemed profound to me at the time.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads