JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
WTF?? I did not know that. Guns are forbidden in Sunriver???
Good for you for ignoring this BS rule!

Yep, been like that for years. Also banned are bows, slingshots, really about any useful weapon. It doesn't carry force of law, but they could ban you from Sunriver if they catch you. I'm not disarming myself over their anti-gun BS.

UPDATE - just checked the current 2018 rules for Sunriver and it appears what I previously saw was a ban on possession is stated rather as a ban on discharge/firing of any kind of weapons, including firearms, bows, slinghots, airguns, etc.

Last Edited:
I had an encounter that ended up costing my buddy money after damage to his truck. I was at deer camp in E. WA. I was eating a PB&J and threw the crust into some bushes. Still had a lot of jelly on it. My partner said it might attract bears and I told hik there hadn't been a bear in that area in the 15 years I had hunted it.

We drove up to some high ground to glass before dark, mostly just to take in the scenery. Later that night when we got back, we heard some rustling in the dry leaves near the tent. I went out with a light and heard something rustling around again. Couldnt find it.

Woke up the next day and the truck sounds like a lawnmower. Buddy pops his hood and I jump out to see what happened. Two spark plug wires were chewed in half and my sandwich crust was sitting on top of his engine. I tossed it so he wouldn't see it and "I told you so". Apparently, the critters crawled up in his engine to stay warm. Probably mice. Had to drive real slow to Lewiston to get parts. Got to see the Jack O'Connor museum while we were there.

Funny.....We were camping up at Indian Henry, on the Clackamas River, for about five nights. A couple of weeks after, when I got under the hood of the truck to check the oil, or something, there was a big nest built in the front left corner of the engine compartment. Small fir limbs, needles, cones, grasses. About the size of a basketball I'd say.

People. Worst, scariest encounters were with people. Usually while in places or at times I didn't expect to see another soul around.

Next scariest was while I was working security at the Street of Dreams out on Redland Road outside Oregon City. I was pulling graveyard shift, sitting in the little Toyota Corolla patrol car we had, parked near the top of the hill where the road split. Beautiful area with a lake down in the valley. LOTS of deer, big herd. That herd, and the smell of hot dogs the food vendors never threw away (which they allowed us poor security monkeys to eat) got the attention of a big, big kitty cat. I was sitting in the car, watching the road for people, listening to Coast to Coast. I caught movement out of the corner of my eye, look over and there's a BIG cougar, whose back was almost level with the bottom of my window, sauntering by. I could have reached out and touched her. That probably would've ended with one or both of us pissing ourselves, and may or may not have ended with me pulling back a stump. I decided I was happy NOT to touch Ms. Kitty. She casually strolled past me and up the hill behind the McMansions.

When I reported this to my supervisors they said I was full of shart, no cougars in the area. When I told the people running the show, they said to shut up about it, because they didn't want to scare guests or other staff. My relief officer began carrying, openly, despite it being an "unarmed" jobsite. Yeah, there's no big cats where there's a heard of two dozen plus deer and a big lake to drink from :rolleyes:

Besides that run in - I've seen fresh bear tracks without ever seeing the bear (was bummed about that), seen cat tracks. Couple run ins with Sasquatch. Nothing too traumatizing.

Big cats and rattle snakes are my biggest worries in Oregon besides people.

Had a black bear smell my foot once while sleeping in a tent. When I felt the snout pressing in on my tent and foot, I tapped back. The bear sniffed around a little and went about its business soon after.
Takeaway, never leave candy wrappers in your tent.

My dad almost grabbed a cotton mouth while exploring Kill Creek in Kansas, luckily somebody noticed and he stopped just in time.

Stepped past a rattle snake that only started it's rattle after I walked by it. I walked well within striking distance. Probably would have shot that one if I had a gun on me.

Had a tick on my di** once, I could have gotten Lime disease!

We don't even leave toothpaste in the tent.

Fishing the sloughs in N.C. for bass, I often got the plug caught up in the mangroves/brush at the water's edge. At first I would reach for the lure and notice a unusually thick branch overhanging the water/boat. Oh crap, that branch has beady eyes!!! Learned to cut the line and let the moccasins alone.

Tick on the di**... pour some Tequila on it and tell the GF it's a Margarita!

Apparently, the critters crawled up in his engine to stay warm. Probably mice.

We would often have mice in the truck after a weekend of backpacking. Man, those little sh*ts really loved the jungle money I keep in the rig for emergencies. Then there is a campground on the Grande Ronde river that we like to take our trailer to. The packrats are really bad there and will eat anything in the engine compartment. We have had chewed wires, chewed firewall insulation, and once my engine died because a nest they made under the air filter starved the engine for air. You don't see them during the day so a pellet gun is not an option, but a buddy trapped some with a huge rattrap.

I have seen badgers and bears, many rattlers, and some strange people. Don't mess with any of those. We have had cougars shot while attacking children, and gunfights between mushroom picker groups.

It's wild out there!

Long story set in SoCal, but might still be amusing:

Back in SoCal, no firearms but two German Shepherds (littermates who were about 5.5 years old at the time of this encounter - Hanna - the female, and Sammy - the male).

Most weekends back then I'd take the dogs out for a 3 mile one way (6 mile round trip) walk in the Angeles National Forest up a closed and gated/locked fire road to an abandoned Nike missile base. There was a small parking area at the bottom of the road and if no one was parked there, you could be about 99.9% certain no one was on the road ahead of you. In those cases, I'd let the dogs off leash once we were past the first curve of the fire road. The road is pretty much cut into the side of the mountain, uphill to the west, downhill to the east. We'd normally go all the way up, I'd water the dogs at the abandoned Nike base (which had a ginormous water tank still full of fresh water), and then put them on leash for the walk back down to the car.

About a month before my story really begins, on the way down when I had the dogs on leash, they suddenly got very alert, with their ears, heads and tails all up in the full alert position. As we walked down the road there was a small valley uphill on the right - between two hills that rose up from the level of the road. I saw something that looked about the size of a small sheep (maybe 100 pounds) burst out of the brush, run across the small valley and then stop by a tree up hill from us where it turned and stared at us. The dogs and I just stared back. After a few moments, and realizing we could be engaged in this staring contest all day, I took one step forward, whereupon the dogs started barking like crazy and the animal – a small bear - ran over the top of the hill and disappeared.

I told the dog breeder/trainer about it and he confirmed by concern - a bear could easily kill the dogs. So since seeing the bear, I'd been leashing the dogs before we got near where we saw it and letting them off leash when we were well clear.

Well on the day of my story we were still climbing to the place where I'd been leashing them, when, sure enough, there's the bear and the dogs are off leash. They both take off up the road about 100 yards after the bear who plunges down the slope on the right hand side of the road.

As the dogs are disappearing, the mother bear bursts out of the brush hot on the dogs' heels. She's a whole different order of animal from the one that already concerned me, probably 300 - 350 pounds, fast and aggressively protecting what turned out to be her cub. I heard one bark and then seconds later one dog burst up over the east edge of the road way ahead of me, then the second dog, then the adult bear right behind them. They ran down the road a bit toward me and then all three disappeared over the edge again going down slope. A moment later Sammy came up over the edge about 20 yards ahead of me, followed by the mother who got close enough to roll him. As she was preparing to kill Sammy, Hanna came sailing in and slammed into the bear's side. Hanna evaded the bear and Sammy was able to get up and escape. Then all three went over the edge of the road down the slope once more.

I've never personally seen anything quite as brave as what Hanna did.

A moment later one of the dogs popped up over the edge of the road, followed closely by the mother bear, and both ran directly at me. The dog ran right by me, but the mother bear stopped about 6' from me, eyeballed me and tried to decide what to do. I figured in for a penny, in for a pound, so stared it right in the eyes, stood up as straight as I could, raised my arms over my head and yelled "hey" as loud as I could. Fortunately, she decided she needed to see what the dogs might be doing to her cub, so she turned and took off.

After what I think were one or two more rushes up over the edge of the road - one or two dogs, followed closely by the mother bear, and then back down slope again - I was finally able to get Sammy on leash as Hanna took one last run down the hill. When Hanna realized that she was alone, she came trotting back to me, I leashed her and we all headed back down to the car, having had enough excitement for the day.

We (the dogs as I) were very fortunate that I had two dogs and the adult female had a cub. She couldn't focus on any of us because she had to worry about what the other dog might be doing to her cub and so wasn't able to start and maintain an attack. If I had been up there with only one dog, that dog likely would have been killed. If the female bear had been up there without a cub, some or all of me and the dogs might have been seriously injured or killed.

I also learned - after the fact - that a dog WILL bring the bear that's chasing it back to you, it's just a matter of when.

Taking a break while riding dirt bikes in the hills above Corvallis. We were sitting around having a snack, with our bikes leaning on trees about 10 feet away, when a cougar appeared out of the brush, and approached us very slowly. Didn't know what to do, so I threw my protein bar towards it. It grabbed my bar, turned around, and ran back into the tree line. I was never so glad that my bike started on the first kick before. :eek:

Almost pissed on a rattle snake when I was 7ish at Yellowstone park.

I lived in the jungle at that time so I had no idea what was going on but my dad grew up in TX and had picked me up and ran back out to the road before I could finish - then told me wth happened.

In the jungle at 5 I had a big monkey almost corner me in our backyard and while the dang thing looked cute up in the tree, he showed his huge fangs and stood straight up. I was 5 and between that and a few other monkey incounters I hate them with a passion (oragatangs, gibbons and leemers are amoung the few I don't have a considerable dislike for).

Plenty of poisonous snakes and scorpions the size of huge rats areound but I knew how to handle that stuff.

Honestly, in the PNW in SW WA I've never had an animal encounter that was dangerous - I may have been followed by a cat and have only seen one bear rear end as it ran off the road, so not much too share around here.

Yep, been like that for years. Also banned are bows, slingshots, really about any useful weapon.
First I have ever heard of this and I only live a few miles from Sunriver! I may have to look into this to see just how they are 'banning' weapons. Reason is there are a lot of people who have a Sunriver address - yet are not within the city limits of Sunriver proper which I suspect is where the so - called 'ban' probably applies - you know, within the gilded gates!

First I have ever heard of this and I only live a few miles from Sunriver! I may have to look into this to see just how they are 'banning' weapons. Reason is there are a lot of people who have a Sunriver address - yet are not within the city limits of Sunriver proper which I suspect is where the so - called 'ban' probably applies - you know, within the gilded gates!

Their rules are in the "Sunriver Rules and Regulations" document, which is available online here: http://www.sunriverowners.org/Resou...ules&regs_june2013a.pdf&doc_id=165694&print=1

I had looked them up a few years back for something and came across the firearm restriction.

I just pulled up the most recent, updated January 2018 - while I recall reading 'no firearms' in Sunriver, it looks like it's been updated to state no discharging of firearms, etc:

5.02 Firearms and Dangerous Projectiles
A. "The discharge of firearms, air rifles or pistols, CO2 guns, bows and arrows, slingshots or any potentially hazardous projectile within Sunriver is prohibited."

"Violation of Section 5.02 constitutes a Class A offence.

So perhaps someone noted to them that people can legally carry and they updated the language? If so, that's a good thing. But I wonder, would they fine you (Class A is $2,500 fine) if you had to discharge a firearm in self-defense??

Either way, I don't put much concern into it - I'd rather get fined or banned than not have a way to defend myself if needed. It's so cute how these CA transplants think they can stop folks from lawfully carrying.

I have never had a run in with a wild animal while unarmed. So either I'm the lucky one or the more prepared one:confused: I will say this there are plenty of animals that would scare me and make me think but HUMANS have made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I have learned to trust that instinct.

Yep, been like that for years. Also banned are bows, slingshots, really about any useful weapon. It doesn't carry force of law, but they could ban you from Sunriver if they catch you. I'm not disarming myself over their anti-gun BS.

UPDATE - just checked the current 2018 rules for Sunriver and it appears what I previously saw was a ban on possession is stated rather as a ban on discharge/firing of any kind of weapons, including firearms, bows, slinghots, airguns, etc.
That is a better position, because when we were there last my daughter's lab was going through her first heat and there were coyotes sounding off within a minute of taking her out for banking transactions after dark and literally scratching at the doors and nosing the patio slider. If one had caught up to us there would have been a discharge to investigate.

While Fly fishing with my Brother WAY the hell up the south side of Mount Saint Helens, My brother got attacked and Mauled badly by a humongous Cougar! That cat took most of a 15 round mag of 147 gr 9 mm from my brothers Beretta, before I could get close enough and a clear enough shot for a head shot from a .308. We called in for medical, and the Dispatchers ended up calling the Army National Guard! Bro got real lucky on that, but has some pretty nasty looking scars on his arms and leg and back! His C.O. was none to happy with him, but my bro earned a pretty serious reputation after that!

I have a big azz Grizzly that lives around my ranch in Co, he has been here for almost 4 years, and keeps getting bigger and bigger every season! he isn't a threat to us or the neighbors, so we leave him alone! He is denned up right now, but should be out and about come April! We have Wolves, Coyotes, Cougars, and Bob cats, as well as a Wolverine one time, WAY up the end of the canyon, he was not a happy dude and made that fact known! In all these years, the only serious encounter was that Cat and my Brother, and we both NEVER travel in the wilds unarmed!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top