JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As is commonly seen in the comments regarding public shootings/mass shootings, there are always the "this is what I would do" or "what would you do". No issue with that at all, but let's do something different.

Instead... I'd like this not to be a "I think I'd do this" thread, but rather a "I've done/experienced this" thread.

I'm positive there are some level 10 bada** mofo's running around in here who would do and have done what was needed in any given situation in accordancewith what they say. I'm also positive there are some beta male 🐓 grabbers who quite literally would 💩 their pants, despite what they say, in any given dangerous threat situation.

That said, lets hear the stories of actual violent and/or dangerous threats you've encountered.

How did you react to said situation? Did you react as you thought you would? Did you react out of your normal character? Etc, etc...

I'll share my story in the comments.

So no sh!t there I was....
Wait...I ain't telling a war story....:D

Seriously though...
Both times when as a civilian I have had to use a firearm for my defense , I only had to present the firearm in order to stop the threat.
For which I am grateful.
Having taken lives before...I have no wish to do so again...I know I could , I would just prefer not to.

In any event..
How did I react...As I needed to.
Did I react as I thought I would ...Yes.
Did I react out of my normal character...Yes...since normally I do not have to use a firearm to stop a threat.
Andy

15 or so years ago my wife and three daughters lived in Arizona. Greater Phoenix area. We had gone to Target to do some shopping.

We left the store and walked to our car which was in the farther part of the parking lot. I got my two oldest (5 and 3) into the third row of our Durango. While I was buckling my one year old into the seat directly behind driver, I saw someone walk behind the car towards me.

He stepped within a foot of me and had me cornered in the open car door. My baby to my left, my wife behind me in the passenger seat, and him right in front of me. Plus my two other girls watching through the window.

He lifted his shirt and pulled a handgun from his waist. He held it low and pointed down. He then asked for my wallet which I gave him. He then asked for our phones which I told him I didnt have cause I couldn't afford one . Lie. He stood there a minute just acting nervous. My wife having an absolute panic attack in the car. He finally stepped back and returned the gun to his waistband and told me drive away. He walked off and I drove to the opposite end of the mall and called the cops. Through our statements and description and that of others he was arrested a couple days later.

At that time I was hot headed, quick to anger, and loved confrontation. If you had asked me that situation hypothetically, I would have said I would have smashed his head into the side window and vented him with his own gun. In reality, I was calm as a cucumber (very out of character). The whole 2 minute ordeal played in slow motion for me. I was able to think clearly and my only thought was to keep everyone calm for my family's safety. Even today I'm surprised by my reaction to the situation and grateful I didn't do something different.

While working midnight shift one summer in college in Chicago, my '63 Corvair had a flat tire, stranding me in the near west side. I took the elevated ("El") train back to the college (IIT, on the south side), borrowed a spare, a proper sized hex socket and a 3/4" breaker bar for same and went up to the 35th street El station to get back to my car. While awaiting the next train with the spare behind me and the tools in my jacket, I was accosted by a man who demanded my wallet and such. When I pulled out the breaker bar, he suddenly turned and ran away.

Moments later, two gents ran up to me, flashed their police badges, and asked if I had just been accosted by that guy. When I confirmed that, they ran after him, calling over their shoulders that they had been on the trail for some time.

Just then, a train arrived. I was relieved to enter same, return to my car, change its tire and make it to work (wiring 400 ton industrial presses) without trouble.

For some reason, concealed carry is very appealing to me! Just upgraded from Shield to 1911...

You're going to see a whole lotta "There I was, eight feet from an active shooter, but since he wasn't shooting me or my family I ran away."

Some things I keep in mind based on my experiences :

Speak clearly and concisely....no threats about what you are going to do.

As two examples ...
In my first situation someone came into my house through a window.
I got my pistol , took a concealed position where I could observe the person and called out :
"I have a gun. The Police have been called . You need to leave."
He did so.

In my second situation...
My neighbor's ex husband was beating her severely in her front yard...severely enough that warranted a prolong stay in the hospital.
I called out :
"Stop. You need to leave. The police have been called."
Her ex did stop beating her...only to advance towards me...verbally threatening me.
I raised my rifle to the firing position and told him again to Stop..and to leave.
He did so.

Also I keep in mind that no matter what you say and do....
You will be second guessed and judged , by those who :
Weren't there...
Have no clue about you or your situation...
Will twist your words and context...

When having to explain your actions... Speak using the three C's...
Clearly , concisely and completely.
Andy

Last Edited:
I have carried for the last 19 years religiously and never been in a situation where I've needed my firearm against a human. That being said in my line of work I've defended my life multiple times with deadly force and always came out on top. The 4 legged animal has been loosing to me for a long time!

The adrenaline in those situations is unbelievable and can be hard to manage. I've gotten better over the years and think I would do just fine in a self defense incident against a human
Agreed. Which is why I wanted people to share actual stories. Get a real perspective on reactions in intense, stressful, adrenaline filled scenarios. Not just a I think I'd...

FYI - I respect your
think I would do just fine
Not taking a shot at you.

Bears and cougars don't shoot at you.....I may freeze up when shot at. Hope I never find out. Plus you don't have to go to court and jump threw all the hoops when you defend yourself against a 4 legged critter

I've never needed a knife or gun but I've been in situations where it might have come to that many more times then I'd like so I am not going to pick one other then to say the most dangerous looking back was when I was under 21 years old - I was a little hot and both of the major incidents involved a thug who was either in a gang or though they were.

As an adult though I have been in the worst parts of the PDX and surrounding areas during the worst parts of the day and night for decades and so far I've been able to talk and use body language to de escalate the situations thankfully.

I've been a lifeguard, have been witness to and involved in life threatening situations many times in my life (car accidents being a lot of them- not my fault though) and so far I do very well under duress and then after the situation has ended my adrenaline slowly dumps and I am a minor wreck (of sorts) about an hour later as I absorb what actually happened.

My wife has witnessed it multiple times and is still not sure how I do it - it is just the way I'm wired.

Idk what I would or wouldn't do in a hypothetical. I do know when something bumps in the night that my wife is a super light sleeper and I have had her in the bedroom with a gun while I search the house and property for potential threats (partly because she isn't going back to sleep and partly because I don't want to dismiss it and be surprised when I'm not alert).

If you knock on my door or are on my property then my cameras already told me you are there.

At the end of the day I'll do what I have to and I know my wife will as well - she's definitely my ride or die. So far it's been a good ride though.

I was once crossing a parking lot when a car stopped in front of my friend and I and pulled a large framed revolver. The guy started talking sh*t then took off. I turned to my friend and he said something that amounted to, "Punks." That same week I was taking out the trash when another car pulled up, guy pulled a gun but another passenger started arguing with the person then the driver took off. That kinda got me p*ssed. Cowards.

I was once crossing a parking lot when a car stopped in front of my friend and I and pulled a large framed revolver. The guy started talking sh*t then took off. I turned to my friend and he said something that amounted to, "Punks." That same week I was taking out the trash when another car pulled up, guy pulled a gun but another passenger started arguing with the person then the driver took off. That kinda got me p*ssed. Cowards.
I used to call that "Tuesday". Kind of surreal. How a person can get used to things like that.

15 or so years ago my wife and three daughters lived in Arizona. Greater Phoenix area. We had gone to Target to do some shopping.

We left the store and walked to our car which was in the farther part of the parking lot. I got my two oldest (5 and 3) into the third row of our Durango. While I was buckling my one year old into the seat directly behind driver, I saw someone walk behind the car towards me.

He stepped within a foot of me and had me cornered in the open car door. My baby to my left, my wife behind me in the passenger seat, and him right in front of me. Plus my two other girls watching through the window.

He lifted his shirt and pulled a handgun from his waist. He held it low and pointed down. He then asked for my wallet which I gave him. He then asked for our phones which I told him I didnt have cause I couldn't afford one . Lie. He stood there a minute just acting nervous. My wife having an absolute panic attack in the car. He finally stepped back and returned the gun to his waistband and told me drive away. He walked off and I drove to the opposite end of the mall and called the cops. Through our statements and description and that of others he was arrested a couple days later.

At that time I was hot headed, quick to anger, and loved confrontation. If you had asked me that situation hypothetically, I would have said I would have smashed his head into the side window and vented him with his own gun. In reality, I was calm as a cucumber (very out of character). The whole 2 minute ordeal played in slow motion for me. I was able to think clearly and my only thought was to keep everyone calm for my family's safety. Even today I'm surprised by my reaction to the situation and grateful I didn't do something different.
Good thing your mobile phone didn't ring during the time! ;)

Better get ready to call me a BEAT 🐔.

I have never been shot at. I've never been in a gun fight. I've never experienced a mall shooting. I've never experienced a school shooting.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT ID DO.

Id likely get the F out.

I'm not a hero, nor do I play one on TV.

I try to be nice and polite to people, but I don't owe them my life to attempt stopping any of the above.

I have not signed my life to a government entity stating I'd be expected to stop this sort of thing.

So ya, go ahead and call me that Beta Cuck thing you be talking about.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top