JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was hunting with my buddy out of Kodak off from his 32 foot sail boat. We were a couple of days out. Nice weather. We had anchored in a protected cove, in the morning I went out on the deck to see a big brown swimming around the boat trying to figgure out how to get aboard. They have learned if they go up the net chute of a commercial fishing boat they frequently can get an easy meal. We shot in the air a couple of times and he swam off. Was a great way to start the day. We watched eagles and brown bear fighting over dead fish on the beach later in the day.

Buddy of mine used to guide in Alaska for fishing trips. They were back in camp cleaning all the fish for guest and a big brown walks into camp. long story short, four guides unload there side arms with no results. Owner hears this all going on steps out of his cabin with a 7mm and drops it before anyone got hurt. I guess he was pretty pissed by the time they killed it. :confused:
I just went from wanting to NEEDING a 45-70 ;) I'll see how that flys when I pitch it to the wife.

when I was a teenager my brother and I were walking home about 2am in August it was pitch black out and we apparently spooked a buck it started snorting and stamping and came at us. we threw rocks and sticks and yelled like hell it eventually took off. f#$k that deer lol. have also been attacked by a pitbull and a chow I would have loved to shoot both the dogs

My dad was out walking with his dogs awhile back and had his border collie start chasing a deer. after running for a few yards, the deer (a buck with antlers) decides to turn around and chase the dog instead. The border collie was saved by my dads extremely old lab barreling in from the side. I wish I had a video. Knowing the personality of the collie, who is scared of everything, deciding to chance a deer...

I ran into the little guy while deer hunting. Good thing I had a tag. Scan_Pic0001.jpg Scan_Pic0002.jpg

Was up on the ridge behind my farm fixing a pipe from the spring that got damage during some logging in late November a couple of years ago. About 12 hours into it I was tired, cold and wind beat so I took a rest between a few stumps and a couple of downed logs. My lab's fur went vertical so grabbed my 45 and took off my glove. Mama and two little cougars come cruising by walking on the logs up wind and above us. Dog didn't see them over the logs and they didn't see or smell me. I was going to take the mom but I was tired and didn't feel like dealing with it and dragging it down through the cut (not a easy track) so I let it pass.

Two years later she made the mistake in eating a bunch of my chickens.

20 years in and around San Diego, Mammoth, Big Bear, etc., riding mountain bikes with friends and solo, I saw at least one hefty rattler on every ride.

More than a few times, the 3 or 4 amigos would be shooting down a steep single track into eucalyptus trees or rocks on one side and a cliff on the other, and the lead guy would yell "SNAKE!!!" Of course it would be arched up and buzzing loudly as the rest of the riders went skidding directly over the exact same spot, impossible [and really dumb] to stop.

On a couple occasions, we'd find one stretched across the trail, sleeping I guess. We'd kick/toss gravel and dirt at it for 5-10 minutes, looking for a long stick, and someone always said, "Hell, I think he's dead, let's move him." Luckily the snakes would shoot off into the brush, a lot quicker than I can jump.

I always wished I had a snub with these in it, but I only carried a revolver on foot, not on the bike. And I honestly don't know how effective they'd be against some of the fat monsters we saw. Anyone here ever shoot a snake with one of these?

rat shot.JPG

Last Edited:
Closest encounter for me was when I had to cross paths with a group of two legged mouth breathers who were shooting their dads .40 cal glock randomly in the woods near ape caves ahead of us during winter at night. My buddy and I were conceal carrying, i a .38 special LCR and him a gen 1 g19, and had to awkwardly wander by them in the cave while they were smoking weed. Considering it was the middle of the night during winter in a cave they probably thought that they were going to be the only ones in there. Strange coincidence that could have turned really ugly if the kid had made an impulse decision.

For the record, we were up there the night before to do a day trip up St. Helens. I like to start climbs early to give us the whole day if we need it. We arrived early enough at the trail head that we figured to swing by the cave for a short trip.

I was out with a couple of friends looking for a night geocache near Spokane a couple of years ago, and on the way back down the mountain we heard something big moving in the trees. I hit my light, and two green eyes about a foot apart were staring back at me probably 25 feet away. I was pretty sure it was a moose, and made sure there was at least one good sized tree between us. Fortunately he wanted nothing to do with us, and took off crashing down the mountain like a bulldozer doing 90. I was really glad, because 10mm isn't ideal moose repellent.

Is a night geocache anything like a snipe? I used to take a lot of kids snipe hunting near Spokane........when I was a kid.....prehistoric or cell phone times......we were hunting up in the Selkirk range. One of my buddies (now retired Spokane Valley Fire Chief) carried a 444 Marlin and had a moose charge at him in tall buck brush. He was leveled down on him but the big guy stopped and turned away before he had to fire. They were rare in those days. We used to go to British Columbia to hunt them. My folks had one in there backyard a couple of years ago on the urban Spokane south hill.

Last Edited:
I would recommend a Glock 29 for good all around performance in the PNW, both In the wilds, and the WILDS of the city! 10 mm is no joke serious, and good enough for ANY threat in the PNW. short of that, a good wheel gun in .357 mag would be my next choice if I were concerned about weight. Argonaut makes a good argument for a 1911, and especially a compact in .45, they are small, and they are flat sided and made to carry! Get a Colt New Agent, or a Kimber Ultra Carry II compact in .45 and you will have more then enough gun for "wild " adventures!Very Rarely would I not carry when out in the Woods, especially when in large predator country like I live in ( YUGE Grizzlies ) and I still carry a Double Stack 10 mm 1911! My only other carry pistol for this kind of country is a .44 mag, or a .45 COLT loaded HOT! I also carry a Marlin XLR .45/70! Maxim overkill for the PNW, but not where I live, that's standard carry!

20 years in and around San Diego, Mammoth, Big Bear, etc., riding mountain bikes with friends and solo, I saw at least one hefty rattler on every ride.

More than a few times, the 3 or 4 amigos would be shooting down a steep single track into eucalyptus trees or rocks on one side and a cliff on the other, and the lead guy would yell "SNAKE!!!" Of course it would be arched up and buzzing loudly as the rest of the riders went skidding directly over the exact same spot, impossible [and really dumb] to stop.

On a couple occasions, we'd find one stretched across the trail, sleeping I guess. We'd kick/toss gravel and dirt at it for 5-10 minutes, looking for a long stick, and someone always said, "Hell, I think he's dead, let's move him." Luckily the snakes would shoot off into the brush, a lot quicker than I can jump.

I always wished I had a snub with these in it, but I only carried a revolver on foot, not on the bike. And I honestly don't know how effective they'd be against some of the fat monsters we saw. Anyone here ever shoot a snake with one of these?

View attachment 424106
I tested a bunch of shot loads including those CCI's I found the 45-44 stuff the best non shotgun shot calibers. My American Derringer 45/410 is superior to all of them. The 45/410 revolvers are good I am sure but they are so big. I used to shoot a lot with my Thompson Contender 45/410, it was choked and very effective but also huge.Snakes in the California foothills are a serious problem. I always worried about kids, dogs and stock in that country.

Last Edited:
Is a night geocache anything like a snipe? I used to take a lot of kids snipe hunting near Spokane........when I was a kid.....prehistoric or cell phone times......we were hunting up in the Selkirk range. One of my buddies (now retired Spokane Valley Fire Chief) carried a 444 Marlin and had a moose charge at him in tall buck brush. He was leveled down on him but the big guy stopped and turned away before he had to fire. They were rare in those days. My folks had one in there backyard a couple of years ago on the urban Spokane south hill.
Nah. A night cache requires the use of a bright light to follow reflectors from one point to another, until you finally find the cache. Night makes it weird, because your depth perception is way off.

Nah. A night cache requires the use of a bright light to follow reflectors from one point to another, until you finally find the cache. Night makes it weird, because your depth perception is way off.
You sound like a good guy.....welcome to the fray. I graduated from Lewis and Clark coming 5 decades ago, my brother still owns and operates my dad's shop near downtown.

You sound like a good guy.....welcome to the fray. I graduated from Lewis and Clark coming 5 decades ago, my brother still owns and operates my dad's shop near downtown.
Thanks for the kind words! We lived in Spokane for three years, and I've been in Wenatchee for about 6 years now. I miss the openness of Spokane, but I love all the mountains we have around us here in Wenatchee, with huge amounts of national forest to hike and dirt bike in.

These encounters go back over several decades.
1. Kayak camping in BC in a provincial park campground that was reachable only by boat. After a 19 mile paddle, we were exhausted and were taking a nap in the middle of the afternoon. We had already put our cooking gear near the fire ring. Woke up to noise. I thought it was a sea gull. Stuck my head out of the tent to look eye-to-eye with a black bear about 4 feet away. It started walking away, I decided to hurry it along by banging pots together. Mistake! It stopped turned around --- then I realized it was drunk or otherwise impaired. It could barely walk. It left.

2. Truck camper outside of Red Lodge MT. In the rough, therefore on a slight slope. Woke up hearing deeply in-drawn breath through the window over the kitchen sink - about 1 foot from my ear. Grabbed my glasses and looked face to face with a grizzly. Bear in mind that the window was about 8 feet off the ground. It heard me as I grabbed the shotgun, and ran off. I could see it circling the area. We bailed without further incident. We estimated it was about 2 years old.

I have seen, from about 100 yards, cougars the size of ponies in Snoqualamie Pass. I always carry a .357 locally. In places where I am likely to run into grizzlies, I carry a .375 H&H, and my wife carries the shotgun. Be aware of your surroundings. A cougar will be moving too fast to shoot if it's trying to take your dog, unless the dog is on a leash (which is a pain in the underbrush).

It's very informative watching the blacks and grizzlies the the National Park in Stewart-Hyder. The grizzlies are so much smarter!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top