JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Alliant BE-86 is supposed to have a slightly faster burn rate than Unique. Slightly slower than Power Pistol. It has a flash suppressant added. I look at as "low-flash Unique."

It would not surprise me if it displaced Unique in availability, as companies try to consolidate their offerings.
What makes unique a good powder for 45 colt and 44 special is it fills the case up. When you short load a big case it decreases the life of the case, makes it brittle. The original effort has always been to find a powder that shoots accurate while giving the longest life to the case.

Fast burning low volume powders like bullseye are great in 45acp as it's a short case but allows detonation in the bigger cases. Starline has come out with 45 colt cowboy brass that is shorter because light loading 45 colt ruins the brass quicker.

Point being is you can load with different powders but if they don't fill the space it ruins your brass.

At least in the calibers I use, the loads for BE-86 are almost identical to Unique. That is why I mentioned it.
I don't really know, does the new formulations of gun powders hurt the barrel? My thought is like gasoline and putting alcohol in it, does it make the motor last as long.

I won't be alive long enough to know what the new formulas do to guns but the old formula worked great for many decades.

Anyway why this is important to ammo supply is if you can't get what's best then your brass wears out too quick.

Will brass be available in the future or will polymers be the new brass?

I don't really know, does the new formulations of gun powders hurt the barrel? My thought is like gasoline and putting alcohol in it, does it make the motor last as long.

I won't be alive long enough to know what the new formulas do to guns but the old formula worked great for many decades.

Anyway why this is important to ammo supply is if you can't get what's best then your brass wears out too quick.

Will brass be available in the future or will polymers be the new brass?
If we can 3D print our "brass" in the future, it is the primers that will be the hard part.

No. We stopped making corrosive ammo a LONG time ago. You are not going to manage to wear out a gun in your lifetime unless you are a SUPER heavy user. If so it will not be the powder you choose that does it. Find one you like, order a LOT, stuff stored properly will live longer than you will.

No. We stopped making corrosive ammo a LONG time ago. You are not going to manage to wear out a gun in your lifetime unless you are a SUPER heavy user. If so it will not be the powder you choose that does it. Find one you like, order a LOT, stuff stored properly will live longer than you will.
I see some corrorsive primers used on some of the older AK-47 ammo from sgammo.com. I have no experience with corrosive ammo but you wash the barrel, bolt, charging handle, and FCG with water, Then use solvent and relube.

I have read anything on the flash suppressants or the temperature chems they put in powder to know for sure that they don't hurt the barrel.

It's like Molly coated bullets, the cats meow until they ruined barrels.

So here we have a Chech Republic Billionaire purchasing Remington, Federal, CCI, Hevi-Shot and Speer ammo producers.
Anyone else see a problem with this?
The article even goes so far as to say the USA will not be given any preferential treatment with regard to distribution of ammo.
And the current administration ordered Lake City to cease all commercial sales of ammo and to cancel all commercial contracts.
Hornady ammo plant blew up last week.
For what it's worth.

"Paranoia runs deep...
into your heart it will creep...
there's a man with a gun over there...
tellin' me I'd better beware..."

- Buffalo Springfield 1966

Not to sound like whatever I actually am, on the advice of my father, I began to acquire sufficient "provisions" for any domestic incident in the 1970s and since. Therefore, what shortage?

Not to sound like whatever I actually am, on the advice of my father, I began to acquire sufficient "provisions" for any domestic incident in the 1970s and since. Therefore, what shortage?
The ant and grasshopper seems to forever play out on a loop. :s0092: When I first started to roll my own we had a massive primmer shortage soon after. LONG before Al invented the net so can't remember what set it off or why. All I know is I figured I did not like having to run all over hell and gone. So when local store was stocked again I started buying 3 times as many as I was using for a good while. After I had an impressive pile I felt fine. Have been doing this ever since through, lost track of the panic shortages. Never thought of myself as real smart but, sure as hell seem to be a long way ahead of a lot of other shooters as I do not allow this stuff to get me. :s0092:

Made me think of something my Dad told me LONG ago. He said everyone should have what he called a "FU&K YOU account". He meant cash on hand. He said way you could say F you to your boss, your landlord, whatever because you could pick up and go. Back then it was having 1K in cash. Shows how long ago this was. :s0140: Point being myself, and now Wife, have always done this. Not just with disposable cash but with all the things we "want in life". If both of us were of a mind to tell our bosses to pound sand we could easily do so and walk away. Nice to be able to do so but not many seem to agree. :s0092:

Made me think of something my Dad told me LONG ago. He said everyone should have what he called a "FU&K YOU account". He meant cash on hand. He said way you could say F you to your boss, your landlord, whatever because you could pick up and go. Back then it was having 1K in cash. Shows how long ago this was. :s0140: Point being myself, and now Wife, have always done this. Not just with disposable cash but with all the things we "want in life". If both of us were of a mind to tell our bosses to pound sand we could easily do so and walk away. Nice to be able to do so but not many seem to agree. :s0092:
Good advice!

Liquid assets. Food, guns, ammo, antibiotics will exponentially increase in value when it hits the fan.

In the old days 70% would be considered a monopoly and the government would block the sale. It's a brave new world now.
I've been discovering that what they used to care about has gone by the wayside. And what they care about now is puzzling. I'm still trying to figure out how the Republicans became the pro-Russia party, and the Dems became the anti-Russia party.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top