JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A guy I hung out once in a while with was shot and killed right outside the back of the duplex I was staying at. Bullet that killed him lodged in the outside wall. Gang related.
I managed to stay out of most of it, but have experienced similar. I personally took a .22 to the thigh that was marked to a guy next to me from a drive-by.

Not a great time in life that I wouldn't necessarily change, but certainly don't look back on and reflect about much. I saw some bubblegum as a kid most adults couldn't handle.

I know what I have done when a former patient tried to burn me alive. It is no mall shooting, but there was no running away as I could at the time, literally not run and the guy was trying to murder me. Sadly, I have had to use weapons to defend myself. I am still alive. I did not fire, more for fear of igniting myself being doused in gas, but I used my gun to make sure he was disarmed.

I don't want to talk more about the incidents but I mentioned one in the past, but I don't poop my pants or pee. Apparently my sphincters go so tight it takes a while for normal biological functions to resume. I have always been perplexed by people who mention pooping themselves in fear.

Your mouth goes dry, you feel sick, for me, time seems to dilate and you live another day to go home to your wife and kids.

Having been in that situation, it isn't badass or awesome. It was sickening for me. If I never have to be in a situation I need to draw again, It will be too soon.
Everybody Poops is a famous book and I made a joke

Many years ago I had a HUGE guy break in to my home. My wife and kids were home. I grabbed my gun and got the guy to chase me in to the garage. I was scared but didnt want to kill this guy so I tried to shoot him in the leg. I missed and the bullet went between his legs. So I aimed for his head . He turned around and ran out of my house. Cops show up and find the guy a half mile away. Turns out he was drunk had been in a fight with his wife and walked into wrong house... Glad I didnt have to kill him .

To me, that is an extremely limited view of the world. Reading that... it says, "only bad people carry". Taken further, "Anyone that says they are willing to inflict harm if they are placed in a position to require it, are bad people."

I will, respectfully, disagree with your general characterization of those that exercise their 2A rights to carry outside the home. Or... taking context from your previous posts where you have said you will only draw if directly threatened... that those that don't confine themselves to the same are, categorically, "bad people."

Tsk, tsk, tsk....

As for the thread I think it's interesting and can be a mental exercise for others to contemplate what their actions might have been, or learn from others mistakes, but agree with @Joe13. I don't have anything I feel like sharing.
That's definitely one way to read it.

I'll clarify my position and opinion a bit further.

Carrying is a responsibility. A huge one. That comes with large consequences.

I'm definitely not trying to say that by carrying you are a bad person. If that's how you read it, I definitely apologize. I definitely wasn't trying to say that.

I'm just stating that there are bad people that do carry. I've heard many that say things along these lines, "Man if a shooting like this ever happened, I'd hunt down that SOB and take him out."

I usually point out that they literally just said they will go and hunt a human with the intention of killing that human.

Cops, hopefully, train to kill people. If trained well, hopefully, they do so without inflicting more harm and or added casualties.

Carrying is constitutional, well sort of these days, and defending yourself is a basic human right.

Killing people is not constitutional.

Sorry if I blended the two.

In light of the subject at hand I was referring to those that are out there that carry with that mentality I quoted above. Those people might not be the best sort of people, or they are just armchair commandos.

Everybody Poops is a famous book and I made a joke
I know, but all my life I have heard some variant that fear loosens the bowels. My experience has been rather contrary this view. In all seriousness, does anybody actually poop themselves in fear? I ask, half jokingly, because obviously I have a sample size of one. It is one of those things that is a legit head scratcher to me.

And I get that fear makes people behave unpredictably, but honestly curious, here. I have seen people pee themselves in fear, so I know while that runs against my experience, it is a thing.
My position on drawing my gun is this, Would I be happy for my kids and future grand kids to know this was the reason I died? That is my mental line. Because by drawing I am painting a bright red target on myself and my entire life will be viewed in light of that moment.

I know, but all my life I have heard some variant that fear loosens the bowels. My experience has been rather contrary this view. In all seriousness, does anybody actually poop themselves in fear? I ask, half jokingly, because obviously I have a sample size of one. It is one of those things that is a legit head scratcher to me.

And I get that fear makes people behave unpredictably, but honestly curious, here. I have seen people pee themselves in fear, so I know while that runs against my experience, it is a thing.
I hear you. I've seen plenty of people unintendedly poop themselves but not out of fear.. seen lots pee themselves when scared. Like I said, it was part of a joke.

Most phrasing about anything is bewildering. Poop!
Hit paydirt with KDRT

image-w1280.jpg

It's the phrase that pays.

To the gentlemen who have made comments about not wanting to share their war stories...

First and foremost, thank you for your service. Secondly, I should have been more specific in my original post that I was referring to civilian encounters.

I would never directly ask a veteran to share a war story. If one were to offer, I'd be happy to listen, but beyond that I understand (as much as I can) and most importantly respect the privacy and delicate nature of those events.

That's definitely one way to read it.

I'll clarify my position and opinion a bit further.

Carrying is a responsibility. A huge one. That comes with large consequences.

I'm definitely not trying to say that by carrying you are a bad person. If that's how you read it, I definitely apologize. I definitely wasn't trying to say that.

I'm just stating that there are bad people that do carry. I've heard many that say things along these lines, "Man if a shooting like this ever happened, I'd hunt down that SOB and take him out."

I usually point out that they literally just said they will go and hunt a human with the intention of killing that human.

Cops, hopefully, train to kill people. If trained well, hopefully, they do so without inflicting more harm and or added casualties.

Carrying is constitutional, well sort of these days, and defending yourself is a basic human right.

Killing people is not constitutional.

Sorry if I blended the two.

In light of the subject at hand I was referring to those that are out there that carry with that mentality I quoted above. Those people might not be the best sort of people, or they are just armchair commandos.
It's funny. I read @Yarome 's post and thought to myself "That's not what he said at all." Then went back and carefully reread your post. While I thought I agreed with what you posted, I think this part is where you missed the mark:

I look at those people the same way I look at all folks willing to inflict harm. As bad people.
You went on to use the the word "looking" instead of "willing" and I thought that is really what you meant. Otherwise, I'm a bad people. But I'm DEFINITELY not looking for an opportunity to shoot someone. I think most gun owners are "willing" though.

You did a solid job of clarifying.

You have also seen or experienced people (or yourself) do great in one encounter and then the wheels come off the cart in another. (I believe @Andy54Hawken has mentioned this before.)
Yes I have.
Every situation is different....even if the "set up" is the same.
It is wise to remember that just because something worked the last time...or that someone performed a certain way once...
Does not mean that it work or happen or turn out as you expect or be like "last time."
Andy

I'll bite..... and tell a couple stories from a civilians perspective.
I'm not a former LEO or military. Only training I've ever had has been through private companies and shooting competition. With that being said, here we go.....

I've had 2 incidents where my gun was used to deter situations. Only once have I actually pointed it at someone.

1st- I used to live in rural Washington County. It would take the cops 15 minutes plus to get to my house. One day I was shooting on my property (33 acres backed up to a logging company's property) and this car comes ripping up into my driveway. I've got my AR at a low ready cause I was shooting at my plates. The car comes about 75 feet from me and stops. I can see it's a chick driving and some dipbubblegum dude in the passenger seat. She flings the door open and starts to get out. That's when I start yelling at her to just stay where she is and we'll talk. Now, I know a tweaker when I see one. These 2 were DEFINITELY gacked out. As she proceeds to disobey my commands and continually walk towards me, I'm watching the dude in the passenger seat staring at me and fiddle bubbleguming with something. I didn't (and dont) know what it was but I wasn't taking any chances. She got about 20 feet from me mumbling some gibberish. All the while me telling her to stop. I took about 2 steps back then swung that rifle up into her bubbleguming face. Now I'm screaming at her. But I wasn't looking at her, I was looking at dude. She immediately stopped and put her hands up and started backing up to the car. I kept my rifle trained on her and my eyes on dude until she got in and they backed down my 100 yard long driveway. Called the WCSO and they came out and made a report. Never did hear anything about it.......

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top