JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's why cats are born with 9 lives…… unless it involves a car tire moving at 35+ mph.
I ran over a cat on my way to work a couple months ago.

I was just leaving my house, going maybe 20mph, and this gray cat runs right out from the sidewalk, right under my truck, absolutely no way to avoid it. I cringed as I waited for the thump as tire hit fur, which fortunately never came. I glanced in my mirror to see him scooting out the other side as fast as he could go. My 4wd pickup sits up enough that he avoided all contact as it went over the top of him.

I was greatly relieved; I sure didn't want to hurt someone's cat.

So I try to keep up on my dryfire practice at home. I have been practicing with the new-to-me laser sights on my little carbine as I have never really used that kind of system before. Just trying to get used to how target acquisition works, what ranges I can expect in various lighting conditions, as well as the usual dryfire practice of trigger work, transitions etc. Of course I keep it safe; remove mags, check firearm, cycle the action to make sure everything is clear, check chamber. . . and all this makes lots of the usual "gun noises" that I never really noticed before.

But the cats noticed. They noticed that when I am messing with the thing that makes those noises the little red bug comes out to play. And they really want to play with that little red bug. My wife says when they hear me clear the carbine they will bolt from wherever they are to come play with that little red bug. They will tear into the room and dive straight for the usual dryfire wall, then zoom around in circles until I move the bug back to the floor, then they will whine and claw at the carpet until I give them a few runs around the room. This will go on for five minutes or so until they get tuckered out and I can go back to practice.

My wife says this whole scene is hilariously surreal. Here is a big bear of a guy whipping a little carbine across the floor of a room with cats tearing over bed and dresser to get to where the gun is aimed, then "catching" the little red bug and staring straight back up, right down the barrel of a rifle. She says it look like I am rehearsing for a little kitty multiple-homicide.

But the laser has shown another benefit I never thought of; it really lets you know where you are sweeping your muzzle. Before, unless you were actually looking down the sights you only had a general idea where it was pointed. It's pointed in the corner over there, it's pointed at that wall, it's pointed at that patch of ground. But with the laser you know it's pointed at that sock, it's pointed at that dresser drawer, it's pointed at that stick over yonder. You thought you only swept the floor? Well you actually swept that side of the desk as you turned around. You can see the laser sweep right over it as you turn. This makes a laser not only a helpful rapid aiming device, but it can also server as a wonderful safety device, and can help instill much more direct awareness of muzzle sweep as you go about normal tasks. Just watch the dot and learn how various movements affect where the muzzle points. You will always know exactly where it is pointing.

Directly at the cat, apparently.

(yes, we are ordering a nice pen laser for the cats. This way we can tire them out without having to sweep the entire floor with a weapon mounted laser, locked open bolt or not. Now I need to figure out if I can untrain them to come at the sound of a cleared weapon. . . )
If you really want to ratchet that party up to 11 bring out the catnip before the laser.

"Your cat? He's around here somewhere. I'm sure he's fine. :)
You're a serious cat lover, aren't you?

1712291234916.png

Do be careful if you ever intend to use that gun for home defense. I can see where you might draw down on a bad guy and Mittens thinks it's GO TIME! You wouldn't want him to get caught in the crossfire if you had to smoke the dude.

Everyone knows dogs taste better than cats, but there's a reason they are eaten in greater numbers than dogs. They have no redeeming qualities and their utility is barely a blip compared to dogs.

They are the "gold diggers" of the animal kingdom. Only putting out so much as needed to get what they want for self gratification and will flip loyalties and so called "affection" like a switch when their needs aren't met and something better comes along.

One of the few domesticated "house" animals that will nibble at and eat their owners within hours after passing. Enjoy!!:D

(Reality check! Someone had to say it.... :s0140:)

Do be careful if you ever intend to use that gun for home defense. I can see where you might draw down on a bad guy and Mittens thinks it's GO TIME! You wouldn't want him to get caught in the crossfire if you had to smoke the dude.
1712294962928.jpeg

On a serious note I am pretty sure they would just run and hide. They are cowards and any decently loud noise sends them running.

Everyone knows dogs taste better than cats...

They are the "gold diggers" of the animal kingdom. Only putting out so much as needed to get what they want for self gratification and will flip loyalties and so called "affection" like a switch when their needs aren't met and something better comes along.
The other day my wife was complaining about my shortcomings. After giving it some thought, I told her "from what you are saying, you should have married a dog. Instead, you married a cat."

The other day my wife was complaining about my shortcomings. After giving it some thought, I told her "from what you are saying, you should have married a dog. Instead, you married a cat."
There is quite a bit of truth to the analogy that men are like dogs and women are like cats. . .

Everyone knows dogs taste better than cats, but there's a reason they are eaten in greater numbers than dogs. They have no redeeming qualities and their utility is barely a blip compared to dogs.

One of the few domesticated "house" animals that will nibble at and eat their owners within hours after passing. Enjoy!!:D

You haven't had good cats then ;)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads