JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I try to keep up on my dryfire practice at home. I have been practicing with the new-to-me laser sights on my little carbine as I have never really used that kind of system before. Just trying to get used to how target acquisition works, what ranges I can expect in various lighting conditions, as well as the usual dryfire practice of trigger work, transitions etc. Of course I keep it safe; remove mags, check firearm, cycle the action to make sure everything is clear, check chamber. . . and all this makes lots of the usual "gun noises" that I never really noticed before.

But the cats noticed. They noticed that when I am messing with the thing that makes those noises the little red bug comes out to play. And they really want to play with that little red bug. My wife says when they hear me clear the carbine they will bolt from wherever they are to come play with that little red bug. They will tear into the room and dive straight for the usual dryfire wall, then zoom around in circles until I move the bug back to the floor, then they will whine and claw at the carpet until I give them a few runs around the room. This will go on for five minutes or so until they get tuckered out and I can go back to practice.

My wife says this whole scene is hilariously surreal. Here is a big bear of a guy whipping a little carbine across the floor of a room with cats tearing over bed and dresser to get to where the gun is aimed, then "catching" the little red bug and staring straight back up, right down the barrel of a rifle. She says it look like I am rehearsing for a little kitty multiple-homicide.

But the laser has shown another benefit I never thought of; it really lets you know where you are sweeping your muzzle. Before, unless you were actually looking down the sights you only had a general idea where it was pointed. It's pointed in the corner over there, it's pointed at that wall, it's pointed at that patch of ground. But with the laser you know it's pointed at that sock, it's pointed at that dresser drawer, it's pointed at that stick over yonder. You thought you only swept the floor? Well you actually swept that side of the desk as you turned around. You can see the laser sweep right over it as you turn. This makes a laser not only a helpful rapid aiming device, but it can also server as a wonderful safety device, and can help instill much more direct awareness of muzzle sweep as you go about normal tasks. Just watch the dot and learn how various movements affect where the muzzle points. You will always know exactly where it is pointing.

Directly at the cat, apparently.

(yes, we are ordering a nice pen laser for the cats. This way we can tire them out without having to sweep the entire floor with a weapon mounted laser, locked open bolt or not. Now I need to figure out if I can untrain them to come at the sound of a cleared weapon. . . )

Well, I guess cats are good for something other than for Chinese restaurants. 🐱
Or for those that appreciate pets where affection is earned, not given ;)

A mini lion (or two) is a requirement. Mice gone, spiders kept within their hiding spots, very little training requirements, no need for kennels or babysitters, and good to cuddle when it's 40 below outside.

And yes, they love lasers. It's endless entertainment for all parties involved... and it makes a weapon mounted visible laser (mostly useless) somewhat worth having!

We have a laser pointer here for entertaining the cats.

It's surprising how good their hearing is. They don't miss much. And I've discovered that mine don't much like things that make sudden clicking sounds.

One of my cats is 17 years old and his hearing and eyesight is just as good now as it was when he was a kitten. I envy his hearing, what with mine being so bad.

When I was in high school, still living at home with my parents. we had a white Manx cat that was deaf. One day, I fired a gun in the same room with this cat, figuring that being as how he was deaf, the shot wouldn't bother him. I was wrong. He was highly bothered by the shot. I can only guess that he felt it rather than heard it.

Two Fridays ago, I was halfway down the driveway cutting a fallen tree. A strange black lab appeared about 50 yards further along and stared at me. It barked then ran off. Two minutes later, my son appeared, carrying his Jericho 941.
"You OK dad?"
Well, yeah, why?
"Didn't you see the cougar?"
No.

Lasers are not just for cats! My dog loves "chasing the dot" too! I used to use it when he was a puppy for letting him run around our small yard. As soon as I pick up the pointer now, he looks around the floor for the dot. He's getting older now so he only chases it for a short time...

My wife just adopted a new kitten. Oftentimes while we are eating dinner, we sit on the couch and watch the news. That kitten is all over us, trying to get at our food. So, my wife bought this little robotic laser pointer that can run on a timer, keeping the cat occupied while we eat. It works well. However, the other night, she went to bed and the kitten went with her. I was still up reading when the timer came back on, and the laser dot started roaming the room. Of course, what had been a peacefully sleeping kitten was suddenly racing around the living room fully awake. All in all, the robot laser has been a good investment, but my wife makes sure to turn it completely off at night now.

My wife just adopted a new kitten. Oftentimes while we are eating dinner, we sit on the couch and watch the news. That kitten is all over us, trying to get at our food. So, my wife bought this little robotic laser pointer that can run on a timer, keeping the cat occupied while we eat. It works well. However, the other night, she went to bed and the kitten went with her. I was still up reading when the timer came back on, and the laser dot started roaming the room. Of course, what had been a peacefully sleeping kitten was suddenly racing around the living room fully awake. All in all, the robot laser has been a good investment, but my wife makes sure to turn it completely off at night now.
I think I need one of those. . .

View: https://youtu.be/mWsybyM4ArU?si=77ASgKsXxIPRWaDD

My boy Monty loved the laser dot RIP.
He would always show up when I was cleaning my guns.
O God, don't let my wife see that. :s0131: Our cat already will wake us up at 4:00 am most days,(because Wifey has only two early shifts a week and is up at 4:00am). One-eyed-"Jack" gets on top of things and knocks things of shelves/counters to get our attention.

Last Edited:
My daughter found out that you need to be a little careful with some dogs and lasers.

Cats love chasing lasers because it's a fun game, but some dogs take it way too seriously. Her dog is apparently on of those. He went nuts chasing the laser, and didn't stop when she turned it off. Ten minutes later he was trying to chew a hole in the floor where he last saw it. A week later if I waved my hand like I had a laser pointer, he'd go nuts looking for the light that wasn't there, and try to dig or chew a hole in that same spot on the kitchen floor.

She read somewhere online that some dogs are like this; very much laser use can give them some kind of PTSD or something. She doesn't do lasers with him anymore.

My daughter found out that you need to be a little careful with some dogs and lasers.

Cats love chasing lasers because it's a fun game, but some dogs take it way too seriously. Her dog is apparently on of those. He went nuts chasing the laser, and didn't stop when she turned it off. Ten minutes later he was trying to chew a hole in the floor where he last saw it. A week later if I waved my hand like I had a laser pointer, he'd go nuts looking for the light that wasn't there, and try to dig or chew a hole in that same spot on the kitchen floor.

She read somewhere online that some dogs are like this; very much laser use can give them some kind of PTSD or something. She doesn't do lasers with him anymore.
I had an Aussie like this. Didn't do any damage and eventually calmed down some but he started chasing light reflections off things like CD's and phone screens. Had to keep the laser play to a minimum, he got WAY to into it!

That's why cats are born with 9 lives…… unless it involves a car tire moving at 35+ mph.
My guess is that all the grinding and crushing goes through those lives pretty quick. They still get all 9, but the wheel is still kinda on top of them as they use them up.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top