JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'll be driving down to southern California with the wife and kid to spend the holidays with my sister. We are planning on spending a little time out near Joshua tree and I thought it would be fun to do some plinking out there. I'd also like to have a handgun with me, for the usual reasons. My question is this- if my gun isn't on the roster of "safe" handguns can I even have it in my possession down there? It's a colt diamondback .22 (double action revolver) so afaik it meets all the requirements for California handguns- holds less than 10 rounds, etc.. But the only colts I found on the CA doj list are the Python and commander. I really don't want to lose this gun (or my gun rights) as it used to be my grandfathers.
I will end up just leaving it at home if I can't find a definite answer, but the idea of spending an afternoon in the desert with my family, shooting a .22 revolver at pop cans is really appealing to me (and my wife, and my sister). If anyone knows the answer to my dilemma, speak up!
Im also going to bring my gp-100 (on the roster) in case I have to give someone the business. And because it's fun to shoot at pop cans, too.
I plan on following all laws regarding transport and storage in each state I pass through on the way down and back- obviously.

Legally speaking you cannot bring any guns into Californy, even if they are on the 'roster'--You
had better come up with some new plans
this is not true you can transport and target practice if you want as a visitor, California laws apply...

BlackRyder, take a look at handgunlaw.us website for more information they have a great pdf file you can download and print to take with you: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/california.pdf

My question is this- if my gun isn't on the roster of "safe" handguns can I even have it in my possession down there?

I would ask your specific questions on the calguns.net forum they would probably be better to answer your questions as they live there. Calguns.net - Powered by vBulletin

don't do it! Your gun will become Californicated, and want to spend time in the ultrasonic bath with alcohol rather than actually work and shoot. :p
ha, yeah I hear if you let your gun frolic around with California guns they can often come home with a bullet button. Lucky thats usually curable with surgery....

Ex-california resident. I think you'd be OK. The roster is about selling and buying not ownership per se. There are TONS of older guns out there that won't be on the roster.

On the other hand you CANNOT carry it. You need to have it in a locked box and the ammo separate although they can both be in the trunk. They don't want you to have them in reach.

California cops are a mixed bag. Few of them are there to mess with you from out of state with a .22 revolver.

Please clean up the cans afterward. It is a beautiful spot even though it is in California.

We are going to Arizona for Christmas to be with the kids. My son in law wants me to bring my AR10 so I wanted to drive but would have gone through Utah and the high desert to get there. Unfortunately due to time we decided to fly and I won't be bringing any firearms.:(

Ex-california resident. I think you'd be OK. The roster is about selling and buying not ownership per se. There are TONS of older guns out there that won't be on the roster.

On the other hand you CANNOT carry it. You need to have it in a locked box and the ammo separate although they can both be in the trunk. They don't want you to have them in reach.

California cops are a mixed bag. Few of them are there to mess with you from out of state with a .22 revolver.

Please clean up the cans afterward. It is a beautiful spot even though it is in California.
Cool thanks- I haven't been able to find anything online that specifically pertains to my situation but from what I've read so far re: whom the roster applies to, I feel like I will be fine. I definitely want to be sure though! Of course I will clean up after myself, too- I'm of the leave no trace school of outdoorsmanship. I'm actually super excited to go down there, I've always wanted to check out Joshua tree.
If anyone can recommend a good place to do some plinking around there I would be much obliged!

Maybe I'll use this as an excuse and just buy one to go plinking with while I'm visiting the kids.;):D
Any excuse will do! My dad bought the wrong magazines the other week 10 used Walther ppq m1 magazines.. He has the m2.
Instead of returning them to the guy, he just went to the store and bought an m1! He said it was because he couldn't find any m2 magazines anywhere but i think he just really likes that paddle mag release...

Any excuse will do! My dad bought the wrong magazines the other week 10 used Walther ppq m1 magazines.. He has the m2.
Instead of returning them to the guy, he just went to the store and bought an m1! He said it was because he couldn't find any m2 magazines anywhere but i think he just really likes that paddle mag release...
I like your dad. If he needs an older, stable kid, complete with grandchildren, I am available for adoption and I checked this out with my wife first....

I want an M1 too...

I wouldn't do it! Colt Diamondback? You know those are rare and they don't make them anymore, right? Risk a regular, replaceable .22.
Yeah- that's why I'm considering leaving it home if I can't find a definite answer- besides the monetary value it has unquantifiable sentimental value to me (it was my grandpas) and I would be heartbroken if it were taken from me because I failed to comply with some arbitrary list/law.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top