JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While driving through Johnson Valley/Joshua Tree areas this October I noticed several of the official 'not allowed' signs I.E. the circle with the slash through it and these had rifle silhouettes pictured on them and they were posted just off the main roads.

So I found a thread on calguns that pretty much explains the answer to my question.
Almost all off-Roster handguns are "legal" in California - Calguns.net

Off-roster guns are fine to own/bring into the state (as long as they meet the legal requirements such as less than 10 round capacity, etc..)
The list is for FFLs, who may only sell guns that are on the roster (to non-exempt people (read: civilians)).
The reasons why some guns are on the list, some are not, and some used to be but are no longer, is another topic. Another annoying and aggravating topic.

While driving through Johnson Valley/Joshua Tree areas this October I noticed several of the official 'not allowed' signs I.E. the circle with the slash through it and these had rifle silhouettes pictured on them and they were posted just off the main roads.
That's code for?

You're right. That's part of the 86 FOPA. You can transport guns through the state that aren't legal in the state as long as you follow in state transportation rules.

It's been over 20 years since I fled the PDRC. At the time, you were able to transport the weapon as long as it was unloaded, the ammo was separate, and could not be easily accessed by the driver. A gun in the trunk, with the ammo in a separate box was fine.

He's not talking about buying a gun, but transporting it from here to there and back again. They do have a 10 day wait to purchase, that is to ensure that whomever you are trying to defend against has ample time to kill you. :)

Maybe I'll use this as an excuse and just buy one to go plinking with while I'm visiting the kids.;):D

Negative Ghost Rider. The gun would have to be transferred to an FFL back in your home state for you to take legal possession of it. One does not simply walk into Mordor and buy a handgun. You like how I mixed my metaphors there? :D

The California Roster pretty much only governs the sale of new pistols. You can bring just about any pistol into the state on a temporary basis or permanent one if you're willing to register it once you get there. You are also free to sell said gun as the roster does not govern private sales of used guns. Do note, however, that it is not legal to bring in any mags over 10 rounds. Pistols must also be transported unloaded and in a locked case. It is legal to have rounds in the magazine and the mag and handgun together in the locked case as long as the mag is not inserted into the weapon. However, I can't guarantee that you will encounter an officer who knows the law in this regard so I would highly recommend that you just keep ammo separate from your handgun.

He's not talking about buying a gun, but transporting it from here to there and back again. They do have a 10 day wait to purchase, that is to ensure that whomever you are trying to defend against has ample time to kill you. :)
Some day one of these idiots like Pelosi or Boxer or Harris will be threatened by a bad guy and a civilian will save their bacon by depositing 4 in the chest of the bad guy and they may think twice about these wacko laws.

Either that, or the SCOTUS / AG / INS under the Trump administration somehow manages to clean house in this bubblegumed up state to where there is a shred of sanity remaining

I was born and raised in Stockton, CA. Yes, THAT Stockton. Wild and wooly since 1849. The stuff Steinbeck wrote about. I lived a few other places over the years, but I finally left CA for good 17 years ago. I've only been back for one funeral, and that was under great duress. There's nothing left of the state I grew up in.

"He never had the sense of home so much as when he felt that he was going there. It was only when he got there that his homelessness began."
Thomas Wolfe, You Can't Go Home Again

Yeah- that's why I'm considering leaving it home if I can't find a definite answer- besides the monetary value it has unquantifiable sentimental value to me (it was my grandpas) and I would be heartbroken if it were taken from me because I failed to comply with some arbitrary list/law.
Need to jump in here! Please leave your gun at home. Take one that isn't so valuable, then relax & have fun. Having lived in the area, I can tell you that your recreation may be vulnerable to several policing agencies that roll in the area. They're not all equipped with the same manuals or manners. Not to mention the "not so nice" element that may have similar fun in mind. Keep situational awareness in gear at all times. There's plenty of places to plink but just don't go too far into the desert. (I'm so glad to be out of there!)

Are desert people really that scary? My sister also said that she is nervous about running into the "desert rats". She made it sound like it's mad max out there or something.

Ex-california resident. I think you'd be OK. The roster is about selling and buying not ownership per se. There are TONS of older guns out there that won't be on the roster.

On the other hand you CANNOT carry it. You need to have it in a locked box and the ammo separate although they can both be in the trunk. They don't want you to have them in reach.

California cops are a mixed bag. Few of them are there to mess with you from out of state with a .22 revolver.

Please clean up the cans afterward. It is a beautiful spot even though it is in California.

Like Oregon and Washington, the state is beautiful, just polluted with liberal commies.

Negative Ghost Rider. The gun would have to be transferred to an FFL back in your home state for you to take legal possession of it. One does not simply walk into Mordor and buy a handgun. You like how I mixed my metaphors there? :D

The California Roster pretty much only governs the sale of new pistols. You can bring just about any pistol into the state on a temporary basis or permanent one if you're willing to register it once you get there. You are also free to sell said gun as the roster does not govern private sales of used guns. Do note, however, that it is not legal to bring in any mags over 10 rounds. Pistols must also be transported unloaded and in a locked case. It is legal to have rounds in the magazine and the mag and handgun together in the locked case as long as the mag is not inserted into the weapon. However, I can't guarantee that you will encounter an officer who knows the law in this regard so I would highly recommend that you just keep ammo separate from your handgun.

I'm going to Arizona and not Mordor! If I did I would leave it there and gift it to my SIL so it would always be there when I am there.

And your use of metaphors is perfect they should just rename the state of Komifornia to Mordor. ;):D

Are desert people really that scary? My sister also said that she is nervous about running into the "desert rats". She made it sound like it's mad max out there or something.

Go watch "Salton Sea". That is pretty much the interior of the state of California from Bakersfield all the way up to Weed.

Cool thanks- I haven't been able to find anything online that specifically pertains to my situation but from what I've read so far re: whom the roster applies to, I feel like I will be fine. I definitely want to be sure though! Of course I will clean up after myself, too- I'm of the leave no trace school of outdoorsmanship. I'm actually super excited to go down there, I've always wanted to check out Joshua tree.
If anyone can recommend a good place to do some plinking around there I would be much obliged!

Another happy former California resident (61 years).

1) Don't be the fool driving in CA and you won't get stopped.

2) Don't sweat it. Don't keep the gun and ammo together. Keep magazines empty and with the ammo stash. At the very least, gun on one side of the trunk, ammo on the other. If you got stopped, the worst they'd do if you tell them is run the gun to see if it's stolen (30 minutes on the side of the road - Personal experience). It won't be listed at all. They may ask why it's not registered, tell them they don't have to be in Oregon. They'll return your gun and you'll be on your way. (In my case, I lived there and told them I bought it before registration was required. They returned it and I was on my way)

Wouldn't live there again. I try not to drive in or through. But sometimes I have to (family obligations). I don't ever want them to have any legal reasons to mess with me. I drive 3 mph over the posted speed limit on cruise control in or through CA. Never got stopped since moving out. Even if I got stopped (G19 EDC) I don't volunteer personal info beyond ID and don't consent to searches. I fear not.

Hey, I resemble that remark! I don't know about now, but 'desert rat' was an honorable title when I was actively one of that culture; included in that were the communities around the Salton Sea. If there are some effed up people out in the desert, it's because they're probably not from there originally and have brought some city habits and lifestyle with them (in fact I would say this is true; much like the Californios who move to Oregon and try to remake it in the image of PDRK).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top