JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I was in high school I read frank zappas autobiography and he talked a lot about being a desert rat and the culture out there. I've always thought that title was an honorific but I guess maybe that's changed now...

In some parts, (like the high desert regions of Oregon) it's still a badge of honor. Except for a few. You can tell them apart. The one's that are part of the earth and those that intend to citify the area are fairly recognizable. I'm too new to the area to get the title. But the title is warming up to us.

So I'll be driving down to southern California with the wife and kid to spend the holidays with my sister. We are planning on spending a little time out near Joshua tree and I thought it would be fun to do some plinking out there. I'd also like to have a handgun with me, for the usual reasons. My question is this- if my gun isn't on the roster of "safe" handguns can I even have it in my possession down there? It's a colt diamondback .22 (double action revolver) so afaik it meets all the requirements for California handguns- holds less than 10 rounds, etc.. But the only colts I found on the CA doj list are the Python and commander. I really don't want to lose this gun (or my gun rights) as it used to be my grandfathers.
I will end up just leaving it at home if I can't find a definite answer, but the idea of spending an afternoon in the desert with my family, shooting a .22 revolver at pop cans is really appealing to me (and my wife, and my sister). If anyone knows the answer to my dilemma, speak up!
Im also going to bring my gp-100 (on the roster) in case I have to give someone the business. And because it's fun to shoot at pop cans, too.
I plan on following all laws regarding transport and storage in each state I pass through on the way down and back- obviously.
Don't take em.
You don't need to worry at all. Kalifornia has tons of gun control measures in place to keep it's citizens safe.
In fact , tourists are even safer yet.
That is why you never hear about crimes comitted in that state
Seriously, only take the ones easily replaced if you must.
Merry Christmas

Thanks everybody for all the responses. I've decided to bring down the gp100 and that's it! I would never forgive myself if I lost that colt....
Starting the drive this morning! Merry Christmas and happy new year!

Made it to Redding last night, the fun part of the drive is over. Lots of snow going through the passes and gorgeous scenery. Now I have the boring, traffic clogged Sacramento valley part of the drive to look forward to. Ugh. I did, however, pick up a super cool souvenir at a gas station here in Redding...
I'll throw a couple of them up on the pay it forward thread when I get home!
image.jpeg

My brother-in-law in Stockton warned me not to bring ammo into California either. I planned to pass along some of my extra .22 LR, but that's apparently not legal. Left me wondering, when did California secede from the USA?

There are a lot of misunderstandings over CA gun laws. Even for residents. Take the ammo. No one is gonna hassle or hang you.

I've even heard the "bullet button" will also be required on pistols by a CA resident. NOT!

Considering they saw "bullet button" as a loophole in need of closing...

What they are referring to as I understand it, while I have an AR release button to drop my empty mag, in CA, you'll have to have a "button" that requires a tool to change mags. I've heard them called bullet buttons because you can use the point of a rifle bullet to drop the mag.

I've heard it said that they would also require the same type of set-up for auto pistols. I have been assured that is not the case.

Give CA a few more years. You'll be able to buy all the guns you want. They just won't accept any ammo until you run your state issued ID through the onboard reader to load each round. Not to worry, LEO's will be there to protect you.

What they are referring to as I understand it, while I have an AR release button to drop my empty mag, in CA, you'll have to have a "button" that requires a tool to change mags. I've heard them called bullet buttons because you can use the point of a rifle bullet to drop the mag.

I've heard it said that they would also require the same type of set-up for auto pistols. I have been assured that is not the case.

Give CA a few more years. You'll be able to buy all the guns you want. They just won't accept any ammo until you run your state issued ID through the onboard reader to load each round. Not to worry, LEO's will be there to protect you.

If you go featureless: no pistol grip, fixed non thumb hole stock, brake not flash hider, no pistol fore grip, you can have detachable 10 round max mags. I know, I live in the future State of Jefferson (Nor-Cal) and have done it to my EBR. AR pistols are legal as break op (rear detent) and fixed 10 round mag until 1 Jan 2017 then they are illegal to purchase.
Yes, it sucks, and yes, they want to track ammo so they can see if you have unregistered firearms that you are buying for. It is total crap.

Brutus Out

Made it to Redding last night, the fun part of the drive is over. Lots of snow going through the passes and gorgeous scenery. Now I have the boring, traffic clogged Sacramento valley part of the drive to look forward to. Ugh. I did, however, pick up a super cool souvenir at a gas station here in Redding...
I'll throw a couple of them up on the pay it forward thread when I get home!
View attachment 330810

Hey Black Ryder, I am only a few miles off I-5 S of Cottonwood. Drive safe. My lovely wife bought me State of Jefferson t-shirt and ball cap.

Brutus Out

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top