JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking to add a fixed blade centerline carry knife to my EDC. A few months ago I bought a Ka-bar TDI law enforcement knife and hate the curved handle. Right now I am looking at getting a Push knife aka Push dagger. Cold Steel seems to be the affordable industry standard.

Either the Cold Steel Urban Pal with a single edge 1.5" serrated blade and 3.13" OAL;
the Cold Steel Best Pal with a 2.5" double edge blade and 4" OAL;
or the Cold Steel Safe Maker II with a 3.25" double edge blade and 5" OAL.

Anyone have experience with these push knives?

What are the OR/WA knife laws regarding blade length and single vs double edge?

Oregon Knife Laws | KnifeUp

What a 'dirk' or 'dagger' is seems to be up to the court, with one person being charged under the statute (as I recall) when carrying a pocket knife (or maybe it was just a 'hunting knife') and after a lot of appeals the court finally deciding that the knife was not a 'dagger'.

But more to the point - you can own one of those two edged blades, but you cannot carry it concealed. What constitutes as 'concealed' seems to also be a matter of debate, a reason for arrest and final determination in court.

The Heretic is correct that OR doesn't define dirk or dagger (illegal to CONCEAL), but there is case law that a folding knife with a blade up to 4" long isn't a dirk or dagger and therefore legal to conceal. WA law is similar, although there is an additional prohibition against OPEN carry of a dirk/dagger that would reasonably cause alarm (yes, that's pretty subjective and therefore a bad law).

Although I have a few push daggers and fixed blade knives, I can only carry them openly in OR, so INSTEAD I carry a folder with a blade not quite 4" long. in WA I have a pistol permit so I carry a gun and a small pocketknife, but if I was going somewhere the gun wasn't allowed, I'd revert to "Oregon carry" and carry the large folding knife.

I'm pretty sure a double edged knife is a no go in Wa.
I have a few of those but have never carried them. I got the one in the center for Wa but I'm not sure I would even carry that
I'm also pretty sure a fixed blade must be carried open carry and I'm pretty sure you would get all the attention you would if you open carried a gun in the same places.

I ended up ordering the Cold Steel Urban Pal with a single edge 1.5" serrated blade and 3.13" OAL. Paracord on the end of the sheath looped around the belt tucked in above the left front pocket should do. The handle looks like just another tool.

What are the OR/WA knife laws regarding blade length and single vs double edge?

Honestly man, knife laws are a nightmare even when compared to the absurdity that are some gun laws. The problem with knife laws is that they can often times vary widely from county to county. There often isn't a consistent set of laws for a given state or a central repository where you can go to understand them. You may literally be forced to check the Penal Code of each city you intend to move through. To add insult to this mess, your "license to carry a concealed weapon," often really only means your right to carry a firearm. One would think that if you had a license to carry a concealed weapon, that you could carry just about any knife you wanted to...because how can a knife...any knife...be more dangerous than a pistol?? And yet, this simply is not the case. Carry the wrong knife and you can find yourself in a world of trouble. So tread cautiously here.

That is why I went with the single edge model. Cold Steel makes a smaller Mini Pal, but it is so tiny. This topic came up as my son and I were discussing the Jimmy Johns holdup with a jammed pistol. Talking about the best way to disarm, my son said drop the cash in front of him to your right and stick him in the back of his gun hand with your knife. The trouble is it takes at least two seconds to get out and open my Kershaw folding knife with my left hand. Plus there is more noise.
100_6916.JPG

Honestly man, knife laws are a nightmare even when compared to the absurdity that are some gun laws. The problem with knife laws is that they can often times vary widely from county to county. There often isn't a consistent set of laws for a given state or a central repository where you can go to understand them. You may literally be forced to check the Penal Code of each city you intend to move through. To add insult to this mess, your "license to carry a concealed weapon," often really only means your right to carry a firearm. One would think that if you had a license to carry a concealed weapon, that you could carry just about any knife you wanted to...because how can a knife...any knife...be more dangerous than a pistol?? And yet, this simply is not the case. Carry the wrong knife and you can find yourself in a world of trouble. So tread cautiously here.

In WA we have a CPL, Concealed pistol license for just this reason. They made it clear what is allowed. I have "heard" never checked, that TX for one allows things like a Sap with their Concealed Weapons Licences. Really stupid laws as is often the case. Of course the criminals just laugh at them. The people who bother to get a permit should be able to just carry whatever they want. They are not a problem. Of course common sense and legislation seldom see eye to eye. :eek:

.This topic came up as my son and I were discussing the Jimmy Johns holdup with a jammed pistol..
Jimmy John's is fast.. real fast. I think you missed the part where the clerk reached over the counter and partially jacked that slide back and out of battery, rendering the pistol inoperable.

not really.. I love the Jimmy John's commercials
lol

Washington also doesn't allow carrying fixed blades as I recall. So I'm pretty sure that would be a fixed blade .

Your right blm criminals don't care

UT Austin stabbing spree: 1 killed, 3 others wounded, suspect in custody UT Austin stabbing spree: 1 killed, 3 others wounded, suspect in custody
Washington doesn't have a preemptive clause with knives like they do with guns so ymmv.
You can carry a fixed blade knife in Washington. But again it would be like open carrying your handgun. Do it in a small town and nobody cares,do it in Seattle and get harassed.
It would be like open carrying a gun because you must have your fixed blade completely uncovered,otherwise it's 'concealed' and your permit doesn't cover anything but handguns,as stated above.

2015 ORS 166.240¹
Carrying of concealed weapons

(1)Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor.

(2)Nothing in subsection (1) of this section applies to any peace officer as defined in ORS 133.005 (Definitions for ORS 133.005 to 133.400 and 133.410 to 133.450), whose duty it is to serve process or make arrests. Justice courts have concurrent jurisdiction to try any person charged with violating any of the provisions of subsection (1) of this section. [Amended by 1977 c.454 §1; 1985 c.543 §2; 1989 c.839 §21; 1999 c.1040 §15]

2015 ORS 166.240¹
Carrying of concealed weapons

(1)Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor.

(2)Nothing in subsection (1) of this section applies to any peace officer as defined in ORS 133.005 (Definitions for ORS 133.005 to 133.400 and 133.410 to 133.450), whose duty it is to serve process or make arrests. Justice courts have concurrent jurisdiction to try any person charged with violating any of the provisions of subsection (1) of this section. [Amended by 1977 c.454 §1; 1985 c.543 §2; 1989 c.839 §21; 1999 c.1040 §15]
."any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted".
what a load

No problem carrying it on my belt since the handle looks like a ripcord pull. With only one edge it is more like a utility tool and not a dagger or dirk.

cold_steel_43ls_urban_pal-10.jpe

Cold%20Steel%2043LS%20Urban%20Pal._enl.jpg

Just don't let your cat get a hold of them!

1881937.jpg

That was funny! ( regarding post #20 )
I always "like it" , when after folks want to borrow my knife to cut something , they are amazed to find out that it is indeed , sharp.
( I don't let most folks "borrow" any of my knives , I usually do the cutting myself )

Or they ask after I cut whatever item that needed to be cut : "Why do you have a knife?" :confused::D
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews