JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That was funny! ( regarding post #20 )
I always "like it" , when after folks want to borrow my knife to cut something , they are amazed to find out that it is indeed , sharp.
( I don't let most folks "borrow" any of my knives , I usually do the cutting myself )

Or they ask after I cut whatever item that needed to be cut : "Why do you have a knife?" :confused::D
Andy
Those are the same people who in horror movies miraculously find something to defend themselves against some monster just in the nick of time, successfully do so.. and immediately throw away said life saving artifact as soon as possible. repeatedly
wtf

Or the canteen which is now empty , they toss away... Then have nothing to carry water when they find it....:confused::eek::D

Back to knife laws ... or at least to how and what knife you are carrying and its reception ...
I think a lot depends on :
What you the knife carrier are doing at the time
Where you are doing it
Your attitude and demeanor at the time
And just what type of knife you are carrying or using ... Plus just how the Officer's day is going....

Granted none of the above is legal advice or a "knife law" , just my experience when interacting around others while having a knife.
Andy

A further thought:
Peoples perception of a item.
The way some guns and knives are marketed , can cause trouble to those who use and carry certain guns and knives.
Due to some people and their perception based on a marketing ad or other media.
( I think )

When guns and knives are marketed as "Tactical" or "Just what the SEALS* use!" etc...
Many people seem to think that the label or model name imply only certain uses and only certain people use them.
This I think can spill over into how folks view those who carry certain guns or knives.
Note to all I think we should be able to own and carry whatever gun or knife that we like...
No one example of either is more deadly or dangerous that any other...

Two examples:
Many folks are not alarmed at the sight of one of my muzzle loaders or think that they are dangerous.
We as gun people know that a .54 ( or whatever caliber ) round ball will kill you just as dead as any more modern bullet .
And that any gun if misused can cause injury.
There is no gun that is any more deadly or dangerous than any other.
But when I display a more modern gun ... their attitude and thoughts can change.
Like the newer gun is more dangerous , somehow.

The same with knives.
I have a 5 1/2 clip pointed knife I carried in the army.
One of my favorite hunting and camping knives is a 4 1/2 clip pointed antler handled knife ...
How some folks react to each is very interesting ....
A knife cut is a knife cut ... but to some folks the knife I used in the Army is more deadly...
Andy

* Or whatever super silly special military unit you care to name.

Last Edited:
Statute notwithstanding, use some common sense. A dagger is a blade designed for stabbing. Both the top and bottom of the blade taper to a point in the middle of the blade. You all already know what a dagger is. It does not matter if only one edge is sharpened. A push dagger is even worse to carry. An overzealous prosecutor will make you look like an assassin for carrying a dagger as they are designed for stabbing and killing. Even more so with a push dagger.
If you are going to carry a knife for self defense, carry a normal looking pocket knife. Not some tactical or evil looking knife. You will have a better chance of convincing the jury that you used your knife in self defense if it is a standard pocket knife, or tool. There is not much advantage in blade design in cutting or stabbing someone unless you are a trained knife fighter. The knife most used in fatal knife attacks is a standard kitchen knife. So don't piss off your wife. :eek:

Last Edited:
It is actually flat on the back edge and aren't all small carry knives capable of both cutting and stabbing? With a 1.5" blade it is less scary looking than the Ka-bar TDI law enforcement knife that I bought off of Amazon, but decided was too unwieldy to carry.

1477cb.jpg

All of the tacticool beard guys rave about the Clinch Pick and that does have two sharp edges. The Urban Pal is not to take out and knife fight with, but an "I am on the ground and can't get my pistol out or open my folder get off me" tool. Or as my son suggested an additional aid for disarming a bad guy.

Last Edited:
Thanks, but I can't remember the last time I set foot in Vancouver. This little knife is so cute. I can't believe that they make a smaller size too. I might have to pick up the Cold Steel Mini Pal for my wife.

No one's mentioned it, but Vancouver doesn't like fixed blades.

Maybe not in this post but yea, no fixed blade of any length in Vancouver city limits.

My wife teases me because I have to take my 3" fixed blade off and trade it for my 3" folder just in case we go south too far. While I still carry the same gun...

Side story, I was at the Ford dealership dealing with an issue and while waiting around one of the salesmen comes up to me and says "hey I like your bag" (I had my maxpedition fat boy on) then he proceeded to go grab his and shows me he has a 12" kukuri stapped to the back of his.

I politely asked him to step over to the side of the room, as we were in the middle, and explained that fixed blades in Vancouver city limits were all illegal to carry or even keep in your car unless you are on your way too or from an appropriate activity that would call for one (construction guys are supposed to keep it in a tool box - hunters in their packs etc).

No idea if it changed his mind on it but Vancouver cops are overzealous in the things I have watched on YouTube and the news.

Thanks, but I can't remember the last time I set foot in Vancouver. This little knife is so cute. I can't believe that they make a smaller size too. I might have to pick up the Cold Steel Mini Pal for my wife.

I have teenage daughters, they carry the urban pal as a force multiplier. Even though they compete (and win) in the adult divisions at their BJJ tournaments, and are competent strikers, neither one can hit me hard enough to stop me. The urban pal changes that. Pop that little sucker into your fist and start throwing strikes, at the very least it will get an attacker to wonder why you can hit so hard.

The T handle design makes it very intuitive to use and very difficult to disarm. So no real need for specialized blade training. I wouldn't go smaller, the mini pal would be better than nothing but you are just giving up blade size for essentially the same size package and I wouldn't go larger either if you plan to carry around the neck like we do.

Is it illegal for them to carry concealed.. probably, maybe.. depends on the day of the week. Kidnapping and rape is illegal but it happens everyday. It's just one of those questions you have to decide on your own. What is a couple seconds worth when a guy jumps out of a van and grabs one of your kids... a misdemeanor seems acceptable.

Recently I lost my Benchmade auto knives which I had carried since 2000. I am replacing it with a fixed blade from Bark River. This will be a horizontal belt knife.When I need to cut something I use my very small neck knife. It is only about one inch and is not too offensive to those with delicate sensibilities. I will also be getting a kydex sheath for the Bark River Adventurer.

Speaking of "push knives" gets me thinking about the ridiculous utility knives we have to use where I work. I've used utility knives since I was a kid and never hurt myself with one, not once. But since apparently some morons can't handle something like a utility knife without cutting off a finger or severing their jugular, we have been forced to use a 'safety' knife at work instead.

These are made by Stanley. Safety feature #1 - orange paint. Because people are always safer when they see orange o_O Safety feature #2 - rounded blade tip. Never mind that the blade is still as sharp as ever, but no deadly tip on the blade to make cutting easier. And last and worst is #3 - spring operated retractable blade. This POS is the worst idea I've seen on a utility knife. The blade has to be held open with your thumb, otherwise the spring pulls it back in. What a joke. The first thing I noticed about it is that it requires me to change my grip on the knife in order to hold the damn blade open. When opening a box, that's not such a big deal, but cutting hard plastic/rubber insulation off a large cable? I can't hold it that way and do my job safely - it forces me into an unnatural and unsafe position. But the safety gurus get their way. And have the cuts stopped? No, they haven't, they're still happening.

This bad idea assumes there is only one correct way to hold, or use a utility knife. Clearly they ignored the real world when they developed this.

Good grief people are dumb. Either you handle a tool safely, or you're a moron and deserve to be injured.

So here's my "push knife" :rolleyes: Sorry for being a bit off topic...

IMG_9041.JPG

IMG_9043.JPG

1) That looks like it was designed by and for Brits. What a POS!! So have one to keep TPTB happy and use what you want.
2) Many moons ago we were moving and bought lunch for the movers. One gentleman opted for pork chop and asked if he could use my knife (S&W HRT model) to eat it. 1st cut went thru the pork chop, the paper plate, the paper plate holder, and his levis without cutting any skin. Remark: "WOW, that knife is sharp!"

Tape the lever in the forward position?
Yes , but if you tape the lever forward ...
You then have a "full auto only , highcaliber , multiple cutting , high cutting capacity , cutting , slashing device."
Which will require a tax stamp , extensive BGC , finger and toe printing , a note from your mom and three character witness's .....:eek::p:D
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top