JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dealers can release the gun after 5 days, maybe 3. Either way i don't release a gun unless there is an approval. Most dealers wont release a firearm even after the required wait. It just isn't worth the hassle to get it back if it turn to a denial.

Either way, just wait a little bit. you will get a yes or no shortly. Most of the time it is just the next day. Also, you can get a PIN number from the OSP. This will help speed up the process if this happens regularly.

I've had 3 transactions with dealers in the past few months and they just took minutes. By the time the dealer and I could fill out the form the approval was in.

Greetings from Seaside!

I was told by Jeff, at N.C. Shooter's Supply in Warrenton, that the State Police (who Oregon does their check through) prefers that if someone gets a delay, that the business hold it until a proceed comes through. This is his policy, also, even though he can legally release it after 3 business days.

I've never gotten a delay at Sporty's, but I always do when buying from Sky Olsen in Astoria. I bought a handgun from Jeff a while back, and got a proceed. For me it's a crap shoot whether or not I get a proceed, probably due to a couple arrests from my younger days.

I worked for Gart Sports in Auburn 8 years ago, behind the gun counter, and it was their corporate policy not to release until a proceed came through. I saw it take weeks for some people to get a proceed. By then they'd usually gone somewhere else, like Federal Way Discount, or Ben's Loan in Renton, and purchased whatever they were after.

And this is why I do FTF transactions almost exclusively.

I wouldn't buy from a dealer at one time until I had enough FTF weapons and now I will and do buy from a dealer. If I got a delay like that it would change my mind but I haven't had any delay. Buy the gun and take it home, so far.

A couple of years ago the Feds went to a deeper level of computer complexity that tries to find ALL of a person's arrests and the dispositions, no matter how old. I got held up for nearly a month last year because of an arrest from 1971! I'm probably lucky that they did not re-arrest me! They had no record of the disposition of my arrest and so decided that they just HAD to assume that I must still be a fugitive, even though there was no record of an arraignment, or trial, or sentencing, or escape from custody---because NONE of that had ever happened. Some clerk forgot to check a box on some form stating that no charge had ever been filed against me.

The Oregon State Police staff were wonderfully sympathetic and helpful, and fully recognized that the Federal computers were insane and...............illogical. Any old arrest can hang you up now, and you are considered guilty unless you can prove innocence.......................elsullo :cool:

I have been buying new guns from Kieth's, NW Armory, The Gun Broker, and more for more than 12 years now, and also bought many guns through the internet and my FFL holder, and have NEVER had a wait more than 5-10 minutes....and guess what? I am still mad about that! I don't think Fed, State, or local authorities should be able to require a background check on someone who has been a licensed CHL holder for 10 + years. Or for any amount of time for that matter, since the background check that is done for the CHL is much more thorough than the one at the gun store counter.

I don't think Fed, State, or local authorities should be able to require a background check on someone who has been a licensed CHL holder for 10 + years.

In some states, the CCW/CHL allows them to skip the background check phone call. Nevada used to have this but there the permits are issued county by county and some counties didn't do routine audits of their CCW holders to make sure the people with the permits were still in good standing. That killed it for the entire state. I don't know if they have fixed the problem yet.

My basic point is that OR could do it that way if it wanted to and it was able to meet Federal standards.

My basic point is that OR could do it that way if it wanted to and it was able to meet Federal standards.

Before the National instant check Oregon did have a waiting period. If you had a CHL you were able to sidestep that.

I got delayed one time. It was in the evening of a weekday. By 9:00 am the next day there was a message on my machine telling me I could go pick up my gun.
About a year ago my bro-in-law got a delay when purchasing a .410 for his son. He was really worried about it no matter how much I tried to explain that it was all cool. Two days later he got the call to come pick it up.
I didn't like the delay myself, but it wasn't a big deal. If you're "clean", you'll get the gun.

There is a thread here or one of the other forums about back ground checks.any way I copied some of it . good read.

The Firearms Unit provides a service to all Federally Licensed Firearms dealers in the state of Oregon by conducting the Firearms Instant Check backgrounds on persons attempting to purchase a firearm (ORS 166.412). Records of the transactions are kept for five years and are used for criminal investigation purposes only. A law enforcement agency can make an inquiry on a specific person or a specific firearm if the inquiry is directly related to a criminal investigation. This database is exempt from public inspection. The funding for this Unit is based on a current user fee of $10.00 per transaction. The Firearms Unit is open from 8am to 10pm every day except Thanksgiving and Christmas as mandated by law. The unit is also responsible for conducting background checks for private party sales at gun shows.

The Firearms Unit is responsible for processing stolen gun checks against the stolen weapons files in LEDS and NCIC for the dealers *and any private citizen requesting this service.* There is no fee for processing the stolen gun checks. To check a firearm against the stolen record files, call *503-378-3070.
*Important Phone Numbers:
FICS Instant Check (And Stolen Gun Checks) *1-800-432-5059*
Local Alternate FICS Instant Check Number (For use when cell phone does not allow an 800 number)
503-585-6245
Challenge Line (for denied or pended call inquiries) 503-373-1808 x327
FICS Unit Manager 503-373-1808 x418
FICS Unit Supervisor 503-373-1808 x400
OSP Firearms Instant Check Fax 503-370-8584

I have experience with this. Sometimes the Oregon State Police will delay an approval for a gun sale while they look for more information. I have seen it take up to ONE year before they made a decision! Sometimes they will finally approve the sale and some times they won't.
However, Federal law only requires a THREE day period to approve or not to approve the sale. If the dealer hears nothing back within 3 days, he can make the sale. However, if the State Police decide later to deny the sale, they will come to the home of the buyer and take the gun. The dealer is NOT obligated to refund the purchase money. Therefore most dealers prefer to wait for Police approval before making the sale.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top