JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I went down to the local gun store today to spend some tax money and decide to purchase an xd 40 so I pull out my dl and fill out the back ground check form and a few minutes later I'm told it's delayed. I think ok no big deal just another hassle in trying to be a legal gun owner but then the tell me im delayed until march 3rd. So I'm wondering if there is a time limit on how long they can delay a person? From what I can find online it should only be three working days. So I thought with all the ffls on here I moght find some good info. Thanks for the help all

Welcome to another coastie. Did you buy this through North Coast Shooters Supply? I haven't been up to Jeff's store since he first opened it last year but he should know the answer to that. I didn't think Oregon had a waiting period. That's news to me.

No I went out to Sporty's. They seemed like it was a pretty normal thing to be delayed for that long. I knew I should have just sucked it up and made the drive down to Fox's lol

Yeah, Fox is a good guy. I stopped by there a few days ago. He has a beret I'd love to get my hands on. If only I could come up with 10.5k. That thing is set up with everything (mostly stuff that I have no clue about). Anywho, I hope you can get this resolved sooner than march. THat flat out sucks.

The above is correct and there is not a waiting period in Oregon. Ask why and let us know what the reason is. I've never heard of this before and I've been buying guns here since the seventies.

It could be any number of reasons and it does not mean anything bad. There must be some info that they are waiting on. Have you purchased a firearm from an Oregon FFL before? Did you move up from another State. Maybe computers are slow because of the Olympics. The dealer will not be able to give you any info as OSP will not release it to them.

Are delays more likely with a handgun purchase than with a rifle? Does having a CHL reduce the chance of one?

I do not think that any of that matters. They have info that they need and will not give the OK until they get it. I had a guy purchase a 22lr Chipmunk rifle that was delayed for at least a month if not more. We had another guy that came up from California and he was delayed months. Others just take a few minutes.

This has nothing to do with a waiting period (there is no "waiting" period in Oregon). You had something in your background check that is requiring the state to do further research on.

Just about anything on your record can hang these transactions up. Even address, DMV issues, unpaid tickets, stuff from decades ago, etc...

Guy I know had his rifle delayed two days ago from a public intoxication charge from 1967! His was delayed until March also.

Sporty's must have given you a good deal to drive to Clatskanie? That's one of the main reasons I try to buy as close to home as possible....by the time you spend the money in gas, wear/tear on the vehicle and time....only to have to make a second trip on a delay, you could have spent $50-$100 more on the gun and still been money ahead closer to home.

This is pretty common, so don't feel singled out. It should work out fine.

You can call the OSP and they should be able to get you an answer and what is causing the hang up. Due to privacy laws they will not provide the retailers with the information. They will only tell you directly.

Good luck!

I've only had it go delayed once, and the dealer called me back an hour later saying it had gone through. But then I also always put my SSN on the form.
I was under the impression that if the dealer does not receive a denial they can release after 3 days? Not that they HAVE to, but it's an option. These long delays sound suspicious. I've had co-workers back when I was doing security get denied for all sorts of stupid reasons. One guy had old charges that were dropped in court from Hawaii, but every time he tried to buy a gun he had to call Hawaii and have them fax paperwork to OSP to override the denial.

It's not OSP that is delaying you it's the Fed. NICS system. I fought a denial that took me almost 6mos and $1000 in lawyer costs to get rid of. I had an arrest when I was 19. Was never charged but because it showed and arrest and no disposition they all of a sudden decided to deny any purchases. This particular one was for a Rem 870. All I can do is wish you good luck with your delay.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top