JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am going to pursue a handgun purchase from an apartment neighbor of my father. Seller is WA resident, I'm an OR resident. If I decide to purchase the revolver I will ask him to have local WA ffl ship it to my Oregon ffl. Will the WA ffl check to see if it has been reported stolen before shipping. What do they typically charge for this? What recommendations do you guys have for arranging payment? He will likely want cash payment (no cc).

Last Edited:
Seller can drive it to Oregon FFL or ship it to Oregon FFL using FedEx or UPS, following their policies. Or seller can pay a Washington FFL to mail it to Oregon FFL. Contact receiving FFL and ask their policies on receiving incoming transfers. USPS money orders are commonly used.

Seller can drive it to Oregon FFL or ship it to Oregon FFL using FedEx or UPS, following their policies. Or seller can pay a Washington FFL to mail it to Oregon FFL. Contact receiving FFL and ask their policies on receiving incoming transfers. USPS money orders are commonly used.
So, I could meet the seller at an Oregon FFL and do a transfer just like I would buying from an Oregon resident?

As long as the Oregon FFL doesn't have any policies against facilitating a handgun transfer that way. I would expect some will want an appointment but you could call first and ask before you make the drive.

As long as the Oregon FFL doesn't have any policies against facilitating a handgun transfer that way. I would expect some will want an appointment but you could call first and ask before you make the drive.
I have done transfers that way with long guns but for some reason was thinking it was different for handguns. I will call some Oregon FFL's near the border and see if they will do this and find out if appt is necessary. That would solve my concerns about when to pay the seller too. I appreciate the help.

My Dad text me this evening and asked if I would be interested in buying his neighbors 44mag Smith and Wesson with only 20rnds through it, for $200. I replied yes but will have to wait until morning to get any more details. Seems too good to be true unless it's "hot".

Thanks again for late night answers.

I have done transfers that way with long guns but for some reason was thinking it was different for handguns. I will call some Oregon FFL's near the border and see if they will do this and find out if appt is necessary. That would solve my concerns about when to pay the seller too. I appreciate the help.

My Dad text me this evening and asked if I would be interested in buying his neighbors 44mag Smith and Wesson with only 20rnds through it, for $200. I replied yes but will have to wait until morning to get any more details. Seems too good to be true unless it's "hot".

Deals that are too good to be true, typically are. $200 for a Smith 27, not since the early 80's... Hope ya make a score my friend!

From time to time I've run across people who needed money and were trying to sell something for far less than it was worth. As much as I would like to get a valuable firearms for a fraction of its value, I've always made them aware of what they have and tried to steer them in the right direction. If on the other hand they simply want to get rid of an item and the money is insignificant to them, that is another story.

There is a rather famous, overweight gun writer who I and a friend ran into at a gun show years ago. Mike, the obese writer who is known for writing about military weapons and cast bullet reloading was braying on like a jackass about how he had just screwed some old man out of a lot of money when buying his very collectable Winchester. Everyone that had gather round him to admire the rifle simply looked at Mike and walked away.

Don't be like Mike.

Get the make, model, and SN for the gun; then, stop at your local police station (face to face for best results) and ask them how you check to see if the gun you are considering buying for a great price is stolen.

When you do your BGC in Oregon, the Oregon State Police will run the serial number through a data base for stolen firearms, along with checking to see if you can legally own a gun.
Money Market Pawn on SE Powell Blvd will do transfer between you and a Washington State resident.

When you do your BGC in Oregon, the Oregon State Police will run the serial number through a data base for stolen firearms, along with checking to see if you can legally own a gun.
Money Market Pawn on SE Powell Blvd will do transfer between you and a Washington State resident.
That's exactly the place I was thinking about. He is no nonsense, quick and price is good.

They have raised their prices this year to $35.00, but considering that they're quick and courteous, I'll use them when meeting folks from Washington. Somewhat closer for the same amount is another pawn shop in the Gateway area called Pacific Pawn & Cash.

They have raised their prices this year to $35.00, but considering that they're quick and courteous, I'll use them when meeting folks from Washington. Somewhat closer for the same amount is another pawn shop in the Gateway area called Pacific Pawn & Cash.
Interesting I didn't realize price was up. Definitely still a good option in my situation. I will consider Pacific Pawn too.

Update: I succesfully acquired the revolver and it turned out to be a Model 29-2. The seller was very happy and I am happy. I had to pick them up and drive them to Oregon FFL and then take them back home. Everything went smoothly until I dropped them off and had lunch with my Dad. It was around that point I realized the FFL still had our IDs so I had to go back to Oregon FFL to get IDs then drive sellers id back to WA, then head back home to OR. It was totally worth it though. The revolver is like new, it even has the original cardboard box that the revolver and display case were packed in. It was originally sold to relative of seller at Montgomery Wards in the 70s.

Thanks to everbody for the advice and especially to @The Heretic for helping make this happen.

Update: I succesfully acquired the revolver and it turned out to be a Model 29-2. The seller was very happy and I am happy. I had to pick them up and drive them to Oregon FFL and then take them back home. Everything went smoothly until I dropped them off and had lunch with my Dad. It was around that point I realized the FFL still had our IDs so I had to go back to Oregon FFL to get IDs then drive sellers id back to WA, then head back home to OR. It was totally worth it though. The revolver is like new, it even has the original cardboard box that the revolver and display case were packed in. It was originally sold to relative of seller at Montgomery Wards in the 70s.

Thanks to everbody for the advice and especially to @The Heretic for helping make this happen.
This is the $200 revolver, no? We want pictures!!!

I am glad it all turned out well.

Such a deal!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews