JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Two state residency:

Bruce
If you read that statue further....

"State of residence.The State in which an individual resides. An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with the intention of making a home in that State. If an individual is on active duty as a member of the Armed Forces, the individual's State of residence is the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located, as stated in 18 U.S.C. 921"

And allows maintaining of your home states residency status... so long as you actively maintain it. IE., Paying taxes is your home state.

You may be a resident for tax purposes in multiple states, but you can only have one domicile state with state issued ID... except as allowed, most commonly, for the military exception.

From my understanding... "can a situation exist for dual residency states?" Yes. But exceedingly rare and only under certain conditions. On the Fed level... that may include the requirement of 184 days physical residency in the "other" state.

Simply owning property in another state and living there for a period of time typically does not grant you "domicile" status and allow state ID to be issued without surrendering your domicile/residency status from your "home" state.

I guess what I was saying is that... there are exceptions... but generally speaking for the average Joe/Jane it's exceedingly rare and not as simple as just obtaining "residency for tax purposes" and obtaining some alternate form of some kind of state ID. (Excluding your DL/state ID of which you may only have one state of issue)

Last Edited:
If you read that statue further....

"State of residence.The State in which an individual resides. An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with the intention of making a home in that State. If an individual is on active duty as a member of the Armed Forces, the individual's State of residence is the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located, as stated in 18 U.S.C. 921"

And allows maintaining of your home states residency status... so long as you actively maintain it. IE., Paying taxes is your home state.

You may be a resident for tax purposes in multiple states, but you can only have one domicile state with state issued ID... except as allowed, most commonly, for the military exception.

From my understanding... "can a situation exist for dual residency states?" Yes. But exceedingly rare and only under certain conditions. On the Fed level... that may include the requirement of 184 days physical residency in the "other" state.

Simply owning property in another state and living there for a period of time typically does not grant you "domicile" status and allow state ID to be issued without surrendering your domicile/residency status from your "home" state.

I guess what I was saying is that... there are exceptions... but generally speaking for the average Joe/Jane it's exceedingly rare and not as simple as just obtaining "residency for tax purposes" and obtaining some alternate form of some kind of state ID. (Excluding your DL/state ID of which you may only have one state of issue)

"Can I go into a gun store and buy something and get it to work" vs "Can I go out of my way to make sure I am following the letter of the law to every possible interpretation?"

Yeah, I know, we all want to go out of our way to follow every gun law and every possible interpretation of said laws so just getting the gun at the store without calling to report yourself to the ATF isn't even an option.

"Can I go into a gun store and buy something and get it to work" vs "Can I go out of my way to make sure I am following the letter of the law to every possible interpretation?"

Yeah, I know, we all want to go out of our way to follow every gun law and every possible interpretation of said laws so just getting the gun at the store without calling to report yourself to the ATF isn't even an option.
I don't disagree. What you "can" do and what is 100% within the letter of the law are not always the same.... and as long as it's within the spirit of the law... personally... I don't have much issue with that.

It's good to know the "black and white" though and then it's up to the individual to decide where their comfort level falls.

I know for a fact too that it's not uncommon for a person to request a new state DL and simply claim that they either do no possess a DL from any other state or claim that it was lost. Thereby maintaining state ID's in more than one state. Personally, it sure makes life a lot easier if you maintain property and spend time in multiple states... it's all Amerika... so why should it matter?

I haven't done it, but I do know it passes muster for BGC's, too. Soooooo........ to each their own.🤣👍

I believe you are misinterpreting my question or I worded it wrong.

Oregon will issue drivers licenses which list the home address as "continuous traveler", the outlines for which can be found here. It proves residency in the State of Oregon, but doesn't list your home address. My question is if someone whose home address is listed in the DMV system shows "continuous traveler", can they purchase a firearm in Oregon if they have another document that shows home address in Oregon like a concealed handgun license, fishing license, voter registration card, etc? I ask this because I know LEDS uses address data from the DMV system.
You may be able to use you car registration. My license had an old address on it and I had to use my car registration as proof of address.

Not sure if your predicament is the same though.

I don't disagree. What you "can" do and what is 100% within the letter of the law are not always the same.... and as long as it's within the spirit of the law... personally... I don't have much issue with that.

It's good to know the "black and white" though and then it's up to the individual to decide where their comfort level falls.

I know for a fact too that it's not uncommon for a person to request a new state DL and simply claim that they either do no possess a DL from any other state or claim that it was lost. Thereby maintaining state ID's in more than one state. Personally, it sure makes life a lot easier if you maintain property and spend time in multiple states... it's all Amerika... so why should it matter?

I haven't done it, but I do know it passes muster for BGC's, too. Soooooo........ to each their own.🤣👍

During Covid hysteria I had to get a copy of my drivers license record from Washington for a ticket I got in Virginia. Dont drive in Virginia over the speed limit BTW. Anyway while doing it I checked a box for WA to send me a drivers license even though mine was expired in WA since the DMV's were apparently letting their workers work less than they did before. Well, they sent me a license alright. Then two years go by and South Carolina finds out I have a WA drivers license and cancelled my SC drivers license and registration and insurance on my cars. By the time it got straightened out it cost me about 700 bucks and almost got me fired from my job because I have a company car and didn't have a valid license

During Covid hysteria I had to get a copy of my drivers license record from Washington for a ticket I got in Virginia. Dont drive in Virginia over the speed limit BTW. Anyway while doing it I checked a box for WA to send me a drivers license even though mine was expired in WA since the DMV's were apparently letting their workers work less than they did before. Well, they sent me a license alright. Then two years go by and South Carolina finds out I have a WA drivers license and cancelled my SC drivers license and registration and insurance on my cars. By the time it got straightened out it cost me about 700 bucks and almost got me fired from my job because I have a company car and didn't have a valid license
Yeowch!! The expansion of technology certainly has aided in more comprehensive sharing of databases between states, DMVs and insurance companies. That's for sure.

I noticed changes during the coughing hoax too. My license was out of extensions and was due for a full reissue during that time. Normally I would be required to go in for a new photo and such, but they let me do it online. Basically just asked... to the affect of, "does this photo still look like you?" "Enter any changes to your vital stats (weight, etc)" and simply shot me a brand new one good for another 8 years.

Win!👍

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. It does seem to be a unique situation.

Also for reference, I am not RVing. I own property in Oregon and do live and work here full time. I was just researching alternatives to DMV protected addresses and came across the "continuous traveler" designation. The requirements to get it are pretty loose so I thought it would be a more discrete version of a protected address. The Oregon DMV already f*cked up and released basically everyone's address through that MoveIt breach so I'm trying to limit what information they have about me for privacy reasons, just curious how the decision to become a "continuous traveler" may impact my ability to purchase a firearm.

Also for reference, I am not RVing. I own property in Oregon and do live and work here full time. I was just researching alternatives to DMV protected addresses and came across the "continuous traveler" designation. The requirements to get it are pretty loose so I thought it would be a more discrete version of a protected address. The Oregon DMV already f*cked up and released basically everyone's address through that MoveIt breach so I'm trying to limit what information they have about me for privacy reasons, just curious how the decision to become a "continuous traveler" may impact my ability to purchase a firearm.
Continuous traveler designation just means you're not home and will be robbed.

Lulz

That's one of the benefits of a mail forwarding service. You can avoid a lot of potential hassles, the stigmatism of being seen as a "transient" and have a legal physical address while maintaining a layer of privacy.

I believe you are misinterpreting my question or I worded it wrong.

Oregon will issue drivers licenses which list the home address as "continuous traveler", the outlines for which can be found here. It proves residency in the State of Oregon, but doesn't list your home address. My question is if someone whose home address is listed in the DMV system shows "continuous traveler", can they purchase a firearm in Oregon if they have another document that shows home address in Oregon like a concealed handgun license, fishing license, voter registration card, etc? I ask this because I know LEDS uses address data from the DMV system.
As a Continuous Traveler where does your mail go? where do you vote? where do you have a library card? All of these can be used to establish residency.
Look at full time RV sites for better info on how they buy pharmaceuticals, guns, etc. DR

Well lets just muddy this up a little more.

Say an individual is contemplating dual citizenship in a second country. No part of the UK btw (nothing personal @tac )
I used to work with a guy who had triple citizenship in the US, Ireland, and somewhere down in South America. He owned property in all 3 countries but only owned guns in the US. I don't think it ever caused him any issue with obtaining a firearm. Unless you mean if someone doesn't live in the US full-time, but is a citizen and wants to buy a gun on a visit?

Does anyone know if your address with the DMV is classified as "continuous traveler", are you still able to purchase a firearm provided you have separate form of identification with your home address (such as a concealed handgun license)? From what I understand the FFL needs a document that verifies your identity and verifies your place of residence, generally this achieved with a drivers license or Oregon CHL. My fear is that by removing my address from the DMV database and instead being designated a continuous traveler (see part 6 of this OAR for more info on that) I'll block myself out of being able to buy a gun, since the people at OSP won't be able to use the DMV database in LEDS to verify my place of residence.

EDIT: I did try contacting the people at the FICS Unit but they haven't returned my call.
We're all just travelers in the journey of life.

:p

Still haven't heard back from the FICS unit but I'm going to go through with changing the designation on my drivers license to "continuous traveler" . Will report back how it goes next time I try to buy a gun.

Still haven't heard back from the FICS unit but I'm going to go through with changing the designation on my drivers license to "continuous traveler" . Will report back how it goes next time I try to buy a gun.
To each their own...
If it's really your intention to make your current resident address private from the DMV... along with having a new DL issued... remember to have your vehicle registration re-issued, if you own your vehicle... a new title issued, and inform your insurance company of the change (which may affect your rates).

Insurance companies and DMV share info nearly instantaneously in OR.

To be aware... DMV does keep previous addresses on file. If you continue to reside at DMV's "last known physical address"... I don't know if much is accomplished, but it certainly might help maintain your privacy in the event of a future data breach(?)

The data breach already happened.

Closing the barn door after the horses got out?
When I hear those kinds of arguments... I liken it to obesity. "I've always eaten anything I feel like, I'm already overweight... so why stop now??"

If you buy into the narrative that it's too late, it's beyond your control, they already have more on you than you want them to... so you might as well keep piling it on and give them everything... it's really nothing more than a rationalization... and exactly what they want you to believe, IMHO.

It can cause some inconveniences but it's never too late to try and minimize your digital footprint.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top