JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone know if your address with the DMV is classified as "continuous traveler", are you still able to purchase a firearm provided you have separate form of identification with your home address (such as a concealed handgun license)? From what I understand the FFL needs a document that verifies your identity and verifies your place of residence, generally this achieved with a drivers license or Oregon CHL. My fear is that by removing my address from the DMV database and instead being designated a continuous traveler (see part 6 of this OAR for more info on that) I'll block myself out of being able to buy a gun, since the people at OSP won't be able to use the DMV database in LEDS to verify my place of residence.

EDIT: I did try contacting the people at the FICS Unit but they haven't returned my call.

Last Edited:
Your home of record is going to be in the state that issues your drivers license. Needs to be a physical address. If you own property in another state and have an ID card for that state you may purchase a firearm ( handgun ) in that state while you are staying there. If you are someone who just drives around a lot that does not count as residency.

Your home of record is going to be in the state that issues your drivers license. Needs to be a physical address. If you own property in another state and have an ID card for that state you may purchase a firearm ( handgun ) in that state while you are staying there. If you are someone who just drives around a lot that does not count as residency.
I believe you are misinterpreting my question or I worded it wrong.

Oregon will issue drivers licenses which list the home address as "continuous traveler", the outlines for which can be found here. It proves residency in the State of Oregon, but doesn't list your home address. My question is if someone whose home address is listed in the DMV system shows "continuous traveler", can they purchase a firearm in Oregon if they have another document that shows home address in Oregon like a concealed handgun license, fishing license, voter registration card, etc? I ask this because I know LEDS uses address data from the DMV system.

I was just thinking about this very topic this morning…. What if you've "made your fortune", don't own (or rent) any real property and your "physical address" is your motorhome, "over-landing" rig (etc) that you literally live in and move from place to place (interstate, etc) , be it wilderness camping, "urban camping", or public campsites… in other words, a TRUE gypsy?

Last Edited:
Does anyone know if your address with the DMV is classified as "continuous traveler", are you still able to purchase a firearm provided you have separate form of identification with your home address (such as a concealed handgun license)? From what I understand the FFL needs a document that verifies your identity and verifies your place of residence, generally this achieved with a drivers license or Oregon CHL. My fear is that by removing my address from the DMV database and instead being designated a continuous traveler (see part 6 of this OAR for more info on that) I'll block myself out of being able to buy a gun, since the people at OSP won't be able to use the DMV database in LEDS to verify my place of residence.

EDIT: I did try contacting the people at the FICS Unit but they haven't returned my call.
You can become a resident of South Dakota after spending 24hrs there.. most rv'ers are residents of South Dakota.

CHL works for Oregon FFLs. I wouldn't be surprised if background checks take a bit longer while OSP twiddles their thumbs and verifies your info, but it shouldn't be a problem to get the BGC started with your FFL.

I think most of us with CHLs use it as our ID when starting a transfer anyway because it used to be faster than the driver's license. I've never had an FFL even ask for my driver's license when using the CHL, so I don't see why it would cause a problem at that point.

just for convenience, maybe find a friend who is willing to let you use their address in Oregon as your residence, then you can have your mail delivered there, they can screen it, shred whats not needed, and scan/forward the important stuff to you. there are actual pay to use services that do this. for a monthly fee.

In theory, it shouldn't... since you had to provide proof of residency/domiciled status in OR to obtain your DL, but in reality... it's likely not going to fly with a lot of FFL's that are now operating under a "zero tolerance policy" at the fed level. Any irregularity is likely to cause you grief.

Just on another note... "continuous traveler" can also be highly detrimental to your insurance rates. "Full time status" is an automatic hit on your rates.

If you are a full timer... you are likely familiar with mail forwarding services. It may be in your best interest to set up an account with such a service that provides a physical address (vs. PO or box numbers) and update your DL accordingly. Just to be aware that the DMV and some insurance companies will have mail service addresses on file. It "shouldn't" be an issue, but it "may" take more than one attempt to keep the DMV happy and you may need to shop insurance providers. Some will still recognize you as a "full timer" and some won't care.

Last Edited:
That doesn't work and illegal. Unless you are military personnel on orders to a state other than your state of residence.... it's illegal to maintain residency or obtain state ID in more than one state.

Owning property or "residency for tax purposes" in another state does NOT grant you residency status within that state. Filling out a 4473 with ID/address outside of your official state of residence would be a providing false information on a federal document charge.

Last Edited:
My retirement goal is a converted 40' school bus and traveling.
I will have a "continuous traveler" status on my license.

I have yet to find out how this will effect my NFA items (for another day) but in discussing with a friend who has worked at Fisherman's Marine for many years he actually had someone come in with that exact "continuous traveler" status on a license and they were able to purchase a firearm/passed the BGC.

I'm not sure how long ago this was or if anything has changed since then, but at one time this was doable....

Last Edited:
Two state residency:

Bruce

My retirement goal is a converted 40' school bus and traveling.
I will have a "continuous traveler" status on my license.
I will somehow license/pretend to live in South Dakota for the tax rates and I have lot's of family there.

I have yet to find out how this will effect my NFA items (for another day) but in discussing with a friend who has worked at Fisherman's Marine for many years he actually had someone come in with that exact "continuous traveler" status on a license and they were able to purchase a firearm/passed the BGC.

I'm not sure how long ago this was or if anything has changed since then, but at one time this was doable....
Not all states have the "continuous traveler" classification. I believe it's quite rare.

Establishing residency in SD isn't really "pretending". You simply meet their state residency requirements.. which are very favorable.. surrender your other state ID and have a SD DL issued. The fact that they don't require you to own property or live within the state for X number of days per year doesn't make you any less a resident.

People have been doing it for decades. SD is well aware that full timers are using their state for that purpose and perfectly fine with it. Other states... not so much.

To be aware though that they still require a physical mailing address... which will be on your DL. That's where mail forwarding services come into play.

You'll have to do the paperwork for your NFA items. That's a given... and will be subject to SD firearms laws.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top