JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This should be a lesson on how people behave with shortages.....imagine if it was with food water or any of the necessities of life! prepare and keep your powder dry.

Agreed!

I have tried to tell several people exactly what you are saying and what is happening.

Look at hurricane Sandy and the Northeast, no fuel, no food, no power no nothing, wiait until Sandy's big bad sister BERTHA comes along, the masses of sheeple are really going to be in trouble.

I have quite trying to convince the mindless what is so obvious, as a matter of fact I have quit discussing these kinds of things with anyone unless I know up front they are a full prepper, when shtf I do not want any of them knocking on my door wanting, begging or stealing

A house appreciates over time. Price gouging is someone taking advantage of a momentary spike due to whatever circumstances are happening at the time.

How can a house really appreciate? Does it become more energy effiecient, or stylish, or does the roof get better?

It seems more likely that the reason a house costs more in dollars over time is due to inflation. More dollars chasing the same houses.

Is house flipping price gouging?

Houses are appraised by comparing nearby sales. I think that would be a good way to establish market value for a gun.If the market looks like its higher than I value my gun I might sell it to someone who wants it more than I do.

How can a house really appreciate? Does it become more energy effiecient, or stylish, or does the roof get better?

It seems more likely that the reason a house costs more in dollars over time is due to inflation.

...or alternatively, the land appreciates. Lots of suburbs were once farmland until cities grew.

I find it funny that people are complaining about free enterprise as price gouging. The only thing I think constitutes price gouging is artificially raising prices during a major event like a concert or sporting event where they charge a ridiculous amount for the food and do not let you bring your own. Or on necessities during a disaster. But other than those, I do not see anything constituting gouging if someone posts a ridiculously high price for an item here, or online. If you want it bad enough you'll pay. If you don't want it, you won't get it. If someone else wants it bad enough they will pay. If they don't, they won't.

If someone posts an AR Lower for $1000, what care is it of yours? Yeah, the majority of us here will roll our eyes and not respond. If someone is gullible enough to actually pay that price, it is sad, but being a "price police" isn't our responsibility. The free enterprise system allows for an adjusting of prices to account for demand and, if the price is too high, few buyers will buy. If the price is too low, it will raise demand and make the items less available. There is a period where things adjust and in a panic attack all rationality goes out the window. And, while some of us would not be able to live with our conscience to sell a $500 AK you bought a month ago for $2,000 now, what right do we have to ostracize and demonize someone else who might want to try.

This really does parallel, to some extent, what we all are trying to avoid and that is people putting unreasonable restrictions on us and that really can't include just gun control. If you do, I would consider that hypocritical. That's my view - for good or bad.

Accessbob, I understand what you are saying and somewhat agree with a couple points you have. I, myself, have gotten into guns and shooting to enjoy it. Its hard to deny the feeling of a nice rifle in your arms or the feel of a all steel pistol in your hands. It's nice to have a community (online or in person) that shares your hobby and contributes to learning and knowledge that other people wouldn't know. Inviting new shooters and them loving the hobby is rewarding also. There is a ton of reasons that we all got into this hobby.

The profiteers is what is killing it. Alot of people know that I have started a ignore list. The funny thing about my ignore list is that 98% of it is new members that only joined to profit and older members that maybe have 20 posts. These profiteers have contributed nothing to the firearms community other than to make a quick buck. In fact, there has been a couple long standing members here that do contribute to the forum that I haven't blocked. The fact that we (the long time members that do enjoy the hobby) can't get any pmags or lowers because of these profiteers is unsettling. And I'll bet when this crazy frenzy is over you won't see those members until the next big frenzy.

Free market, yeah, I get it. But for people to invade these forums just to make a quick buck is what really kills it for us people trying to enjoy the hobby. Market value is market value. $1500.00 ARs is market value for the entry level rifle. But someone trying to get $2500.00+ because they can hurts all of us down the road.

Just an observation, but this has got to be one of the worst boards, with regards to attitudes about selling right now. I am not sure who the mods are, but on other boards, thread crapping warrants outright banning. This board seems to have it's fair share of entitlement attitudes, and brings the hate for anyone wanting to make a profit. And can you blame people wanting to sell right now? If they need the money, and have a surplus, they would be fools not to sell. The behavior on this board by some is childish and really not needed.

I do understand to some guns are a hobby and you're upset you can't roll down to your local Walmart and pick up ammo, I get that. But to others, guns are not a hobby and they may have went without on many things to make sure they had a supply of what they think they will need long term.

I don't really care for the people buying up stuff just to resell at 10x the price either, but that's how things are right now. No need to whine, be professional, courteous and just pass on by. If they don't sell prices will come down.

i've noticed on armslist and outdoostrader the same ads containing overpriced ak magazines as being reposted every few days. i don't think people are buying much of the overpriced items for sale on the private market. however, i do believe people are buying plenty of items from online retailers that adjusted their prices by +$3-6 per mag (i know this because i was shopping around for ak mags in late november/early december, and i remember the prices for certain mags and the overall average prices).

maybe all hope isn't lost on the prices going back to some form of normalcy.

I guess if you make over 250k a year you should pay 4 times the value
If you make 30k or less the feds will buy them for you

somebody making $250k a year should pay more for items or pay a higher percentage tax than those who are impoverished. even with paying out more of their income to taxes or higher prices, someone making $250k a year is still living like a king compared to a physically or mentally disabled individual on social security.

is $4900 for a bushmaster gouging?

No.

Raising prices during a scarcity benefits everyone. It keeps people from just stocking up on things and hanging onto them because the price is low, and makes sure items will be available to those who really need them.

I don't like the prices either, as I have a place I can shoot at steel gongs anytime I want, and shoot a lot, and can't replenish ammo supplies at the prices I paid just a month ago.

But it's nice to know I could get some ammo or mags if I really needed them. Forcing prices low just creates shortages, like in the former Soviet Union. If items are scarce and the price is too low, people just won't sell.

I have a couple of extra Pmags. I wouldn't sell them for the $11 I paid for them. Well, except that I am going to sell some to a buddy for that, who just got a new AR. But to anyone else?

It seems more likely that the reason a house costs more in dollars over time is due to inflation. More dollars chasing the same houses.

Is house flipping price gouging?

You're only partly right, the buying power of the dollar is part of the reason real estate prices rise, however; supply and demand is another part.

If the buying power of the dollar were the only factor, houses would not have dropped 50% in value in 2008+

Why did they drop? Hmmmm...supply and demand. The number of houses available due to foreclosure, short sale, etc. is way up. Demand is down. Simple economics.

I talked with a coworker in Texas today and his local "sporting goods store" has a novel way of dealing with the current situation.

They have a spreadsheet with people's names, contact info and the gun/ammo they are looking for. When the product comes in, they contact the first person on the list looking for that item and give them first right of refusal for 24 hours. If they don't want it they get removed from the list. If they cannot contact them they remain on the list for the next opportunity and move to the next name.

The store has added a $5 charge to ALL gun sales that are generated from the list to "deal with contacting people and keeping the spreadsheet up to date". There's no upcharge for ammo. Their prices are the same as they were on 12/1 and will only change if the distributor starts playing games.

Seems like a reasonable way to address availability and prevent gouging. And before you ask, he wouldn't tell me the name of the store. :)

IMHO gouging is taking advantage of buyers of NEEDS, not of WANTS.
Gouging takes place one the sale of food, shelter, gasoline, ammo, medicine. Not pmags.
If you are paying greatly elevated prices for an AR, or mags then you are gouging yourself.
Just my perspective, not going to argue with you if you see it differently.

Last Edited:
IMHO gouging is taking advantage of buyers of NEEDS, not of WANTS.
Gouging takes place one the sale of food, shelter, gasoline, ammo, medicine. Not pmags.
If you are paying greatly elevated prices for an AR, or mags then you are gouging yourself.
Just my perspective, not going to argue with you if you see it differently.

I agree with you actually. Though its fun to throw the gouging term around.

The vast majority of gun owners and preppers already have pretty much what they need and want,not all but the majority.

It is the sheeple whose eyes are mostly crusted over from sleep who are paying high prices for stuff and are making a run on stores, the vast majority now like I said not all of the people I hear complaining the most are the one who laughed at people like us 2 yrs ago, 1 yr ago, 6 months and yes even two months or a month ago.

I am upset at the high prices? Yes, because i want to buy some more, but I will sho around and negotiate and if I do not like the price I will do without or figure another way around.

High prices is all the more reason not to tell people what you have, because it makes you more of target for thieves and when shtf.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top