Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Price Gouging - Discuss It Here

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Cortes, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Cortes

Cortes Tualatin Active Member

It seems that in almost every thread that has the price of an AR or ammunition in it, comments about, and allegations of price gouging crop up.

Here's what I am thinking: NFA classified firearms are incredibly expensive. Any full auto weapon that can be legally purchased, costs exponentially more now than it did to originally manufacture it.

Is this price gouging? What do you think?

How about the price of ARs right now? Is $1500 for an AR that would have sold for $750 a month ago price gouging? Or is it supply and demand?

$12 magazines now selling for $35?

And would you rather stand in line for when the latest shipment of magazines come in in the hopes that you will get one for $12 or would you rather be able to buy one for $35 whenever you want?

Russ1590 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. hsullyc

hsullyc North coast,Nehalem,OR Member

Just got some back order glock mags shipped out to me today at the old price.Just when I thought there was no hope.:thumbup:

starion87le and (deleted member) like this.
  3. ThemGunsThough

ThemGunsThough RIP City! Well-Known Member

I placed an order a week ago at a online dealer and just got notified my stuff shipped out today and i'm glad I was able to get everything at the old SALE price.

4. Cortes

Cortes Tualatin Active Member

I ordered a couple of magazines from Brownells a while back. They are selling for 3-4 times the price I paid for them on Ebay. If I put them up there and let the buyers pay what they want, is that price gouging?

For example I paid around $11 for Magpul magazines. Right now current bids on Ebay are around $37.50 each. Is that OK to let people offer what they want? Or is it price gouging?

Is it price gouging if I offer them here for $35?

Your thoughts, please.

5. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

Is it Price Gouging? IT IS PRICE GOUGING. (definition: elevating price beyond previous level to reflect a sudden increase in demand).

Is it unfair? Only the buyer is equipped to answer this.

Is it ethical? Only the seller is equipped to answer this (equipped with whatever level of ethics they've established in their life).

Is it realistic? Only sales statistics are equipped to answer this. An additional criteria might be projected actual and true usage of the elevated-price item: i.e.: for the average AR owner, what is the projected actual and true usage of a 30-round clip? (Please note this is not: "why would you ever need one?" This is an antiseptic question which would compare true usage toward price paid.) For "stump shooters" or "noise makers", the 30-round clip usage factor could indeed compare favorably to ANY price paid.

6. 19 Adam

19 Adam rural Clackamas County, Oregon Active Member

Springfield Armory is selling M1A magazines for $54.95 each plus shipping.

So even the manufacturers are in on the act.

7. aslinged

aslinged Southern Oregon Well-Known Member

The real problem is going to come in a week or so when stores get resupplied and double their prices, thus making the leap standard. Perhaps stores won't jump their prices to the same degree you see right now on eBay but I'll bet they do jump somewhat and don't come down again.

8. Spitpatch

If you think that is fair, buy 'em!

Springfield Armory is illustrating their ethics here for all to see.

If you think that is realistic, evaluate your expense toward your $54.95 clip against your actual usage.

9. Spitpatch

Absolutely correct:

As long as the buyers continue to demonstrate they believe this is fair, then the elevated price will become realistic by definition.

10. Spitpatch

The tragedy of all this (as one who is not invested or much interested in the AR market, but kept track of it as an industry trend), is that the entire "Barbie Doll" flood of suppliers and manufacturers was just only recently becoming saturated to the point where prices were starting to drop toward something resembling recognizable reasonableness.

11. jake2far

jake2far Portland Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Here is what I am thinking. NFA weapons have Laws that stopped production, applied a tax stamp on them, and usage laws they have had laws dating back to 1936. So yes it makes sense.
    There are no new laws surrounding AR15's, their magazines, or any other new Gun or Magazine Laws. If or when they come out with new laws I will agree with you.
    The reason prices are going up is from fear, and PRICE GOUGING. There is no market reason other than fear. Using fear as a tool to charge more is price gouging. One of the criteria for judging price gouging is what the buyers feel, and there are alot of buyers who feel the gouge. If they weren't complaining about it this thread wouldn't be here and you wouldn't be explaining why it's not gouging.
    Gas prices have gone up, members of Congress have made accusations of price fixing, market manipulation, and price gouging.
    If or when the market settles down, retail stores get suppies, and prices come down, the ones who sold for nuts prices will be bragging about what they got, hmmmm what are they bragging about, how much they gouged, and how proud they are about it.
    Rationalize all you want, I hope it makes you feel better, but fear is a wrong sales tactic, it works in the short term, it makes for customers who won't forget, and won't want to spend with you again.
    Any time a customer thinks they got took, it means they did, it means if at all possible they won't be back.

Jim

PS: try this site, it explains where the fear comes from, and what type of people promote loss of freedom.
    http://www.urbanertslings.com/twopihaform4.html
    It is a great read.

12. jefe

jefe Portland Active Member

just saw 500 rounds of (steel-cased) 7.62x39 ammo, in the classified section, priced at $250. i call that bottom feeding.

when new shipments come in, and internet and local businesses are fully resupplied, the sales volume will drop considerably. why? because the majority of those purchasing firearms, ammo, and magazines like mad crazy aren't "rich" (and neither am i). unless the credit market has opened its gates--and more people than the few unfortunate souls who will continue purchase mass quantities of mags, ammo, and gun parts & firearms on credit (which they likely consider as an "investment" or for "insurance") are able to keep buying--there won't be enough buyers for when the middlemen are resupplied and the commodities are priced higher. i bet in feb. or early march we'll see AK mags drop back down to $18-20 for unissued polish mag, and $12-15 for a surplus, used, random euro mag. i wouldn't be surprised if we see a massive "i need rent money" movement in the coming months, in the classified sections. i'm fairly confident that those purchasing ammo in mass quantities aren't going to shoot it all away--if any--especially in the portland metro area, where there is no place to shoot rifles except tri-county gun club or the middle of nowhere--usually on private land. how many of you have read this in classifieds: "NIB," "never been shot," "only 20-50 rounds through the barrel"? impulse buying = high prices => impulse selling = low prices. to most of these people this isn't a hobby, or a civic (2nd amendment) duty; it is sheer, blind, commodity fetishism.

start saving your cash. the after new year's sale is coming.

theparanorm, evltwn, MikeE and 7 others like this.
  13. jefe

jefe Portland Active Member

great link/article. however, the nomenclature is severely flawed: obama ("der fuehrer") isn't a marxist; obama is a fascist. BIG DIFFERENCE.

MikeE, RICKRWS, Grunwald and 5 others like this.
  14. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I have an all Isreali made .308 Galil with ten 20rnd mags and 2,000rnds of ammo I'll sell you for $25,000.00 ;)

NOT! I wouldn't take any amount of money... Not for sale! HA HA! ;)

andreys21 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. rayd8

rayd8 Formerly Portland, now Alabama! Member

I guess a 'free market' is ok if you're on the winning side? I thought it meant that people were free to offer an item at any price and buyers were free to either pay it or walk.....or maybe even barter.

jer fly, Bushman, Rascals and 7 others like this.
  16. codezilla

codezilla United States Member

The concept of a free market implies that if sellers are asking too much, people will not buy. If buyers aren't willing to pay enough, people will not sell. I see tons of AR-15's for sale at outrageous prices, but how many people are actually buying?

17. BVB

BVB PDX Active Member

o1inc and (deleted member) like this.
  18. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

Let's not forget that market value or fluctuations in the market is different than price gouging.

HNBLARMS and (deleted member) like this.
  19. BVB

BVB PDX Active Member

market value and tripling the price i believe is gouging

Topher, RICKRWS, CoyoteHitman and 3 others like this.
  20. bellarum

bellarum beaverton Well-Known Member

May have been posted before but,
    the only way I think to keep the prices down is let these shops stock an inventory they think will sell out in days at over the top prices and let em sit on it. Eventually when no one buys they will probably have to lower their prices. I could be wrong about this but, I wont be participating in this ripoff.
    Once they continue to get what they are asking long enough, those prices will be the new bargin. Gross.

Grunwald and (deleted member) like this.