JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know about all this gouging, I generally want to get as much as I can for something when I sell it. I guess it comes down to how big a hurry I am to sell it. That being said I generally lose money on things I sell. I've done a good job of ferreting away the kind of things we're talking about in this thread, I guess if I didn't have the stuff I needed I'd expect to pay the price of being late to the party or for being asleep. I guess it's whatever the market will bear and sometimes it's a high price for me to sell it because I don't really want to sell it, but I'll set a price that will allow me to justify letting it go.

No such thing as price gouging. We are all adults (I hope) and are free to make our own choices (to a point). If you don't like the price THEN DON'T BUY IT! If the item does not sell for the current price the seller will either hang on to the item or lower the price until it sells, it is as simple as that. Some folks were smart enough to buy supplies 6 years ago or silver when it was $10 an ounce, should they now sell it to those who CHOSE not to invest 6 years ago for what they paid for it? Hell no. If you bought your house 25 years ago would you sell it today for what you paid for it?

People, people can charge what they want for things. The market is cornered at the moment and people are willing to buy $60 magazines and $400 lowers. Like anything, it's only worth what you're willing to pay for it. I'd love to buy a $1200 M16, but those days were gone before I was born. People got on me for selling 3 unconverted saiga-12's for $650 each, I thought it was a fair price.

I back-ordered a TM-10 lower on brownells because I'm hedging my bets that this commotion will pass by and nothing will happen (plus I have a dozen LR308 pmags lying around). They have Aero lowers for $85, on back-order of course.

I've sent actual LETTERS to my rep and senators. The more time you take to contact them, the more meaningful the result. I.e. letters mean more than emails.

How do you figure no comparison?

A house appreciates over time. Price gouging is someone taking advantage of a momentary spike due to whatever circumstances are happening at the time.

And there is such a thing as price gouging. Like I stated in another thread, if the current market value for say, a AR15, is $1500.00 and someone decided to try sell his/hers for for $2500.00 then thats price gouging. Taking advantage of current situations.

Auctions and trade deals are different. In a auction your pmag could sell for $1.00 or $100.00. Whatever market value is or who buys wants to pay. Trade deals could be someone wanting a certain gun that he/she couldn't afford until now and that AR15 that he/she has is now in demand.

However, most people that are not selling out and do do trade deals are not profiteers and the value stays pretty much the same.

Is it Price Gouging? IT IS PRICE GOUGING. (definition: elevating price beyond previous level to reflect a sudden increase in demand).

Is it unfair? Only the buyer is equipped to answer this.

Is it ethical? Only the seller is equipped to answer this (equipped with whatever level of ethics they've established in their life).

Is it realistic? Only sales statistics are equipped to answer this. An additional criteria might be projected actual and true usage of the elevated-price item: i.e.: for the average AR owner, what is the projected actual and true usage of a 30-round clip? (Please note this is not: "why would you ever need one?" This is an antiseptic question which would compare true usage toward price paid.) For "stump shooters" or "noise makers", the 30-round clip usage factor could indeed compare favorably to ANY price paid.

Let's say you own a widget that you paid $1 for. Suddenly, similar widgets are selling for $5. If you sell your widget for $1.50 the person that buys it can flip it for a $3.50 profit. The end user is paying a premium, by choice. Do you feel better only making 50 cents than you would have if you had profited $4? There is a shortage of certain gun stuff right now and price increases are normal. If there isn't new gun ban legislation, some folks will own $35 magazines that are worth $10. It's all fair and normal. The only issue I would have is if the widgets were actually food and childern were going hungry. Unfortunately the same thing will happen if there is ever a run on the grocery stores. They will be empty in a couple of days, then what?

Why don't we Jack the price of a gallon of gas to $10.00 and see what you think about that? After all, for most of us it's not a necessity. You can ride a bike.

they have done that just not to $10 bucks a gal. they use the excuse on transporting but I have seen the price lower in out of the way towns compared to towns right by a refinery that ships gas out

A house appreciates over time. Price gouging is someone taking advantage of a momentary spike due to whatever circumstances are happening at the time.

And there is such a thing as price gouging. Like I stated in another thread, if the current market value for say, a AR15, is $1500.00 and someone decided to try sell his/hers for for $2500.00 then thats price gouging. Taking advantage of current situations.

Auctions and trade deals are different. In a auction your pmag could sell for $1.00 or $100.00. Whatever market value is or who buys wants to pay. Trade deals could be someone wanting a certain gun that he/she couldn't afford until now and that AR15 that he/she has is now in demand.

However, most people that are not selling out and do do trade deals are not profiteers and the value stays pretty much the same.

Auction or fixed price is the same. In an auction someone will pay what they feel is a fair price, if the price is fixed and you don't think it is fair then you don't buy it.

I hate the gouging. I choose not to participate. I will stay away from gun shows and gun stores until Obama Craze 2.0 is over, if ever.

This is the result of operating under a market driven economy. I think we can all agree we do not care for the alternative. We've enjoyed the advantages. Gouging is one of the risks. Gotta take the good with the bad. I'll bite the bullet and ride it out.
:D

Auction or fixed price is the same. In an auction someone will pay what they feel is a fair price, if the price is fixed and you don't think it is fair then you don't buy it.

A auction is not the same as a fixed price. I don't see how you can say it is. If you don't like the price of a item on a auction you can simply stop bidding. A auction has a big advantage as the market dictates the price as apposed to someones overpriced item.

Things are really crazy right now with the prices. People that are just now buying gun stuff, why so late to the party? The latest you should have been preparing was during the president debates. I'm not mad at people that selling stuff at prices that are higher than the norm. I just won't buy it. Heck, I've been wanting an Aimpoint Pro. If I can get the cash for it by selling my extra lower and a few Pmags I might just do that. I would look to see what current prices are and go from there.

they have done that just not to $10 bucks a gal. they use the excuse on transporting but I have seen the price lower in out of the way towns compared to towns right by a refinery that ships gas out

Regardless if it has happened or not, I'm sure you would be complaining if you were affected by it. But hey, supply and demand right?

A auction is not the same as a fixed price. I don't see how you can say it is. If you don't like the price of a item on a auction you can simply stop bidding. A auction has a big advantage as the market dictates the price as apposed to someones overpriced item.

what is twisting your arm to buy something you don't want to buy at a certain price, you do have a choice except for obozocare

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top