JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm placing this in general so it gets seen by a wider audience.

I'm not talking about those that assemble anything and everything AR related.

I'm looking for those that actually build rifles and handguns.

I don't intend this to be one of my classic rants or even a brag thread to display our talents.
If it took a 4 foot breaker bar to get that barrel off the K98, tell us.
If you incorrectly assembled and rode the lightening, humor us, as long as no one died.
If you have a particular order of operation to tune the extractor in a 1911, have at it.
For the advanced group tell about your take a turn, rechamber, true the boltface experience.
Ever do a feed ramp? Throat? Magwell? Even custom fit a bushing? Speak up!

Some of us have been doing this for decades and frankly, we can't take it with us.

Teach what you learn.

1705282327849.png

1705282364591.png

Aloha, Mark

Pssssst.........

1705282454395.png

1705282532653.png

I'll start with my particular areas of interest.

Series 70 Gov 1911.

Fusil Automatique Léger

Ballistically I drift between .277 and .308, heavy for caliber projectiles.

I don't think they have to worry about me. They know where to find me and don't want to.
I don't have to worry about them. I color within the lines these days.
Even drilling for scope bases is a while you wait kind of thing so I let my FFL lapse decades ago.
I got tired of the record keeping and harassment a long time ago.
It doesn't stop me from building, rebuilding and creating.

I built the bottom pistol .
( Ignore the Colt 1st Model Dragoon :D )

The pistol has a old .54 caliber rifle barrel....
An antique hammer and side plate...
I converted the lock from flint to percussion...
Hand carved maple stock....
Not too bad for parts from the junk draw in the shop....:D
Andy

I'll start with my particular areas of interest.

Series 70 Gov 1911.

Fusil Automatique Léger

Ballistically I drift between .277 and .308, heavy for caliber projectiles.

I have done several FAL builds kits less the barrel and receiver were $75-100 same with the AK's those times are gone you are better off just buying one

Well I don't want to brag...but I do have me a Dremel...and a couple of hammers. And I once had to "jailbreak" the "bullet button" off a Daniel Defense rifle. And let me tell you that the boys over at Daniel Defense apparently LOVE them some red Loctite. And when I say "love," I mean the way that a boy from Kentucky loves his cousin. It's unholy and ain't natural I tell ya!

So anyway, that pretty much makes me a gunsmith. It's science. :cool:

I have built a few from kits, probably my most successful was a Maddi Griffin 50 BMG bull pup. My biggest disaster was a falling block rifle that I bought the raw castings , I'm just not sure the castings I got were intended to go together. it's still hanging above my bench to annoy me! DR

Wisdom from building five custom wildcat rifles:
  • Balance and fitment in a rifle package significantly affects the overall satisfaction of the build. Pay attention to ergonomics.
  • Join a competition group and share info with other shooters. Shoulder their rifles. See what fits. Get part and gunsmith recommendations from them. You'd be surprised at how welcoming they are to another one joining their geek domain.
  • Don't be cheap. If you don't have a mill or lathe, retain the services of a quality gunsmith. That extra $500 for their services is well spent.
  • Create a build spreadsheet on components and weights. You'd be surprised at how often you review that data when you build another.
  • Never give any consideration to resale in your build, always go balls deep -- no half-assed commitments.
  • Plan ahead. From start to finish on a build, six months is extremely fast, and one year is typical.
  • Details matter:
    • There's a world of difference between stocks, both wood and chassis. Sample as many as you can. Find the one that is the right weight, proper fore-end feel and grip to you, and proper palm swell and cheek rise. You want something that every time you shoulder it or use it on the bench, it's a natural pointer - no adjusting your cheek weld.
    • Chamber finishing -- your throat and leade matter in the performance of your selected cartridge.
    • Pay attention to weight. I used to think that 6-8 oz was no big deal. It's a BF deal. Now I look at every ounce and how it's distributed.
    • Tightening torques are published for a damn good reason. Snap a screw, you're phuk'd. Not tight enough, and you wonder why your accuracy is never better than 2moa. I have purchased others' custom rifles where barrels screwed into the receiver were little more than hand tight.
  • Once your build is complete, there will always be improvements or enhancements you notice. Note them and write them down, easiest if you add a tab for notes on your components spreadsheet. You can learn from each build, but if you don't write it down, there's a good chance you'll forget when you start your next one.
On tooling:
  • An action wrench for bolt action receivers, and a reaction rod for AR platforms are invaluable tools to have in your box.
  • A hydraulic barrel vise to hold the barrel at the tenon is the best way to secure a barreled action. It helps immensely with extreme torque requirements like Howa actions.
  • When you order a pre-chambered custom barrel (waiting for final finish), you can also request a case checker be made with a window EDM'd out so you can see exactly how your case fits the chamber. I don't have any myself, but have seen those of other shooters. They're tits.

I'm placing this in general so it gets seen by a wider audience.

I'm not talking about those that assemble anything and everything AR related.

I'm looking for those that actually build rifles and handguns.

I don't intend this to be one of my classic rants or even a brag thread to display our talents.
If it took a 4 foot breaker bar to get that barrel off the K98, tell us.
If you incorrectly assembled and rode the lightening, humor us, as long as no one died.
If you have a particular order of operation to tune the extractor in a 1911, have at it.
For the advanced group tell about your take a turn, rechamber, true the boltface experience.
Ever do a feed ramp? Throat? Magwell? Even custom fit a bushing? Speak up!

Some of us have been doing this for decades and frankly, we can't take it with us.

Teach what you learn.
Unfortunately in Oregon, HB2005 has eliminated the legal option of building our own firearms.

Since HB2005 doesn't define what an unfinished receiver is I think it is highly likely that it will be thrown out. I think everyone has seen the videos showing someone building a shotgun out of a couple of water pipes.

But maybe this us just hopeful thinking.

Since HB2005 doesn't define what an unfinished receiver is I think it is highly likely that it will be thrown out. I think everyone has seen the videos showing someone building a shotgun out of a couple of water pipes.

But maybe this us just hopeful thinking.
It does define unfinished frame and receiver is.

(18)(a) "Unfinished frame or receiver" means a forging, casting, printing, extrusion, ma-
chined body or similar item that:
(A) Is designed to or may readily be completed, assembled or otherwise converted to
function as a frame or receiver; or
(B) Is marketed or sold to the public to be completed, assembled or otherwise converted
to function as a frame or receiver.

In order to build a firearm you will need a finished frame receiver and as luck would have it, they defined those too.

5) "Frame" means the part of a handgun, or variant of a handgun, that provides housing
or a structure for the primary energized component designed to hold back the hammer,
striker, bolt or similar element, prior to initiation of the firing sequence, even if pins or
other attachments are required to attach the component to the housing or structure.

(13) "Receiver" means the part of a rifle, shotgun or projectile weapon other than a
handgun, or a variant of a rifle, shotgun or projectile weapon other than a handgun, that
provides housing or a structure for the primary component designed to block or seal the
breech prior to initiation of the firing sequence, even if pins or other attachments are re-
quired to connect the component to the housing or structure.

We are screwed in Oregon unless that law falls.

It does define unfinished frame and receiver is.

(18)(a) "Unfinished frame or receiver" means a forging, casting, printing, extrusion, ma-
chined body or similar item that:
(A) Is designed to or may readily be completed, assembled or otherwise converted to
function as a frame or receiver; or
(B) Is marketed or sold to the public to be completed, assembled or otherwise converted
to function as a frame or receiver.

In order to build a firearm you will need a finished frame receiver and as luck would have it, they defined those too.

5) "Frame" means the part of a handgun, or variant of a handgun, that provides housing
or a structure for the primary energized component designed to hold back the hammer,
striker, bolt or similar element, prior to initiation of the firing sequence, even if pins or
other attachments are required to attach the component to the housing or structure.

(13) "Receiver" means the part of a rifle, shotgun or projectile weapon other than a
handgun, or a variant of a rifle, shotgun or projectile weapon other than a handgun, that
provides housing or a structure for the primary component designed to block or seal the
breech prior to initiation of the firing sequence, even if pins or other attachments are re-
quired to connect the component to the housing or structure.

We are screwed in Oregon unless that law falls.
I think their strategy is to pass as many bills as possible whether they will "hold up" to judicial scrutiny or not just to drain the money and recourses to fight them.

I had a high school teacher that was pro gun-control. (A HISTORY teacher, believe it or not). Was fully convinced that if only a law would be passed, all the guns could be rounded up so no one would have any. (It'd work just like Prohibition or the War on Drugs, right?)

In a brief debate I made the claim I could build a gun in our school wood/metal shops inside of a class period. (50 years ago, with deer rifles still in cars in the lot.)

I built what looked like (and actually was) a prison "Zip Gun". Rubber band powered slide, nail firing pin, .22 caliber, and even had enough time to drag a damaged drill bit through the bore for rifling. We (I) shot it in the basement rifle team range. The rifling actually worked! Bullets went into the paper nose-forward.

So, to that extent I am a gun builder, and in prison, I'd be a guy who "knows stuff". :cool:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top