JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hawaiians have never embraced being part of the US.
Money, and at the time a relatively strong anti-Japanese sentiment, considering Japan was the one who bombed them :rolleyes: although now.. from what I read, there's an even stronger portion of the population that are Japanese or of Japanese descent?

Edit. They could have done the Puerto Rico thing and kept on being a "Territory" without any State obligations :s0140: but they apparently didn't at the time?

Hawai'i has been a Japanese democratic stronghold since it was a territory. The Japanese were brought over to work in the pineapple and sugarcane fields (along with the Chinese, Portuguese, Koreans, etc.) After their work contracts were up, the Japanese went into politics and education. It will take something pretty drastic to break the Japanese machine.

Search 'James Blount Report' if interested in Hawai'i history (Wikipedia is biased, IMO) but it comes down to which party was in power at the time.

BTW, if the Kingdom of Hawai'i did have gun rights, the takeover would never had happened.

I'd settle for a royal SCOTUS smackdown of Hawaii's supremes at this point.
And imprisonment for all those government officials, elected or not, who violated the citizen's Constitutional rights.

(Edit: imprisonment isn't exactly what I have in mind for them, but it will do at a minimum ;))

Outside of wanting to have a Navy base there, I never fully understood why it was granted statehood.
Similar to the political maneuvering that is going on today with respect to proposed DC and Puerto Rican statehood. The demorats drove it because they wanted 2 more reliable democratic votes in the Senate. The only reason the Republicans went along was if Alaska was also granted statehood to maintain the balance of power. It was a net wash as far as Senate votes went at the time.

We mostly wanted Hawaii for the soil to grow some fruit (pineapple I think?), base came later.
We could have had the pineapple if Hawaii had remained a territory. Pineapple had nothing to do with statehood. Actually, pineapple was second fiddle to sugar in terms of economic value.

We could have had the pineapple if Hawaii had remained a territory. Pineapple had nothing to do with statehood. Actually, pineapple was second fiddle to sugar in terms of economic value.
Kinda, we got involved with messing with their monarchy because we wanted them to sell pineapple cheaper. Statehood came much later, but we originally got involved for that purpose.

Kinda, we got involved with messing with their monarchy because we wanted them to sell pineapple cheaper. Statehood came much later, but we originally got involved for that purpose.
Yeah, that's true. But the question @Nosferatu asked was why statehood. We already had the territory and the pineapple. They could have remained a territory and we still would have had the pineapple. Statehood was about the Senate votes. The demorats were hoping to tip the balance of power in the Senate.

Yeah, that's true. But the question @Nosferatu asked was why statehood. We already had the territory and the pineapple. They could have remained a territory and we still would have had the pineapple. Statehood was about the Senate votes. The demorats were hoping to tip the balance of power in the Senate.
Not that they needed it, they just needed Californians to spread out.

Not that they needed it, they just needed Californians to spread out.
You mean metastasize like the human cancer they are.

You're joking, of course. California wasn't like today at the time (1959). It was primarily an agricultural state, with some mining and energy production, as well as some defense industry as a result of the factories built in WW2. But it didn't become moonbat country until later when north-easterners discovered the great climate and began moving there en mass.

You're joking, of course. California wasn't like today at the time (1959). It was primarily an agricultural state, with some mining and energy production, as well as some defense industry as a result of the factories built in WW2. But it didn't become moonbat country until later when north-easterners discovered the great climate and began moving there en mass.
Of course. Just like how MT was mostly a lot of empty land but Californians ended up moving into MT as well (though its still mostly empty but the valley is different now), things just change over time and now we joke about it so we can try to be less mad about it.

Californians are moving to NC too, and I've met them in college and they really don't get that they're the reason California is so bad.

Of course. Just like how MT was mostly a lot of empty land but Californians ended up moving into MT as well (though its still mostly empty but the valley is different now), things just change over time and now we joke about it so we can try to be less mad about it.

Californians are moving to NC too, and I've met them in college and they really don't get that they're the reason California is so bad.
Should Californians be banned from moving anywhere except Hawaii? Discuss...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top