JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's almost impossible to keep creeps away from an unmanned area of interest. Even tall fences, razor wire, and surveillance equipment won't stop a determined meth head or thief... it's why live security guards exist.

The best I could come up with, without HUGE expense and turning the place into a well-protected squatter-house, was similar to this:

Some firm signage, devoid of overt threats (for liability's sake) declaring surveillance, "Restricted Access", "Severe Penalties", etc, etc might move squatters on to greener pastures.
Dummy cameras, fake antenna array, darkly tinted windows... shrouding the place in dark, vaguely officious, mystery will hopefully move the less intrepid squatter along.

Always arrive armed and in daylight and never alone. Non-lethal (LTL) booby traps can help give you an idea of what's been going on after-the-fact.

Unfortunately, locks will only result in broken locks and windows.

None of the above, short of armed security patrols, will actually stop anybody. But, like most defensive posturing (personal and structural) the best case scenario is to move the perp on to an easier target.
Thread revival. I was thinking about a custom sign to put up at my cabin in addition to the plethora of no trespassing signs I already have up.

Here is a rough draft.

If you were invited, welcome.

If you were not invited please leave immediately and do not return. Your image has been captured on numerous video cameras. If you remain on the property we will understand your intent is to cause great bodily harm or death to our family.

Last Edited:
Get an excavator and dig a 20 foot wide moat around your cabin by about 6 feet deep. Fill it with water and plenty of hungry alligators. Make the water about 6 feet deep and line the bottom of the moat with razor wire…alligators won't be hurt because they hang out on top of the water. Squatters will cut feet and bleed and alligators will eat em up at the first hint of blood. Oh and put leeches in there, lots and lots of leeches. Hide a bunch of bear snares on your property before the moat…you know, the $250 a piece cast iron ones. When they shut they will not only break an ankle they can cause someone to bleed out profusely depending on where it snaps. If you are lucky they will fall in your moat and alligators will take care of the rest, lol

On a serious note….there isn't much you can do except frequent the place. If you are that worried about squatters, sell it and find somewhere you know squatters won't take it over (like somewhere not in the northwest, lol). If someone does get in there and won't leave, you get a few buddies and ski masks, force your way in and give them a beating they will never forget. Tire irons to knee caps sort of beating. They can't prove it's you if there is no evidence…you could just claim it was other squatters and that you have previously contacted police and they wouldn't do anything about it (they never do in the northwest) and you can go back to the police and say "Now I have crimes happening on my property and since you guys didn't remove them, I am suing your department since I have assaults happening on there…I've contacted you xxx dates and you did nothing!" Think outside the box!

Last Edited:
Get an excavator and dig a 20 foot wide moat around your cabin by about 6 feet deep. Fill it with water and plenty of hungry alligators. Make the water about 6 feet deep and line the bottom of the moat with razor wire…alligators won't be hurt because they hang out on top of the water. Squatters will cut feet and bleed and alligators will eat em up at the first hint of blood. Oh and put leeches in there, lots and lots of leeches. Hide a bunch of bear snares on your property before the moat…you know, the $250 a piece cast iron ones. When they shut they will not only break an ankle they can cause someone to bleed out profusely depending on where it snaps. If you are lucky they will fall in your moat and alligators will take care of the rest, lol

On a serious note….there isn't much you can do except frequent the place. If you are that worried about squatters, sell it and find somewhere you know squatters won't take it over (like somewhere not in the northwest, lol). If someone does get in there and won't leave, you get a few buddies and ski masks, force your way in and give them a beating they will never forget. Tire irons to knee caps sort of beating. They can't prove it's you if there is no evidence…you could just claim it was other squatters and that you have previously contacted police and they wouldn't do anything about it (they never do in the northwest) and you can go back to the police and say "Now I have crimes happening on my property and since you guys didn't remove them, I am suing your department since I have assaults happening on there…I've contacted you xxx dates and you did nothing!" Think outside the box!
Budget will keep me there. Speaking of taking law into your own hands. This story has theft, murder, self defense, mountain law all wrapped up in one. This happened not far from area my place is located.

Thread revival. I was thinking about a custom sign to put up at my cabin in addition to the plethora of no trespassing signs I already have up.

Here is a rough draft.

If you were invited, welcome.

If you were not invited please leave immediately and do not return. Your image has been captured on numerous video cameras. If you remain on the property we will understand your intent is to cause great bodily harm or death to our family.
Sounds more like a "request". Remove the word, "please" and keep it in the imperative mood. Drifters and would-be squatters are prone to denying "requests".

Back in the late '80'/early '90s we were taking the scenic route driving backroads up in The Clatsop forest somewhere. We came upon fenced property with a house back in a couple hundred feet on a hill. With A BIG sign, maybe 4'x6'. on a gate or posts near the gate.
The sign said:
IF YOU ARE:
Uninvited
Unrelated
Unannounced
YOU ARE:
UNWELCOME

That always tuck with me. But I also always wonder still, what I would do if I broke down out near that house and needed some help?

4 months ago a neighbor who travels for work came home after 4 weeks from work across country.
We all wondered if he had rented out his home - saw new people living there. Seems they came and squatted in his house after he left last. Even started receiving mail there. When he got back he called the cops. They told him it was a civil matter and refused to show up. (Once you receive mail addressed to you - even if squatting - it ties the hands of cops and locks in a civil proceeding.)

He took things into his own hands. In 3 days he was back in his home. Paid nearly 2 grand for a drop box and emptied all their tweaker crap. I didn't ask many questions. One morning there were a dozen biker dudes helping him clean the place out. Never saw the squatters again.
It took 3 weeks for PDX to tow away the burned out car they left on the street...

Sometimes, the old ways are the best ways. :s0033:

I am guessing the cameras will deter most of the locals from breaking in. Keeping the property maintained and having the neighbors watching my place will hopefully keep squatters from making it an easy target to take up shop. That leaves the not so local locals who come by the place while visiting other locals or the ones that are just out for an opportunistic drive.

Budget will keep me there. Speaking of taking law into your own hands. This story has theft, murder, self defense, mountain law all wrapped up in one. This happened not far from area my place is located.

Yikes!

Reasonably well written story. Thanks on the share.

Choices have consequences. A lot of the folks in that story made some pretty danged piss poor life choices!

Some didn't, or learned their lesson & picked themselves up. Bettering themselves and family.

Not much about meth/illegal marijuana grows in the story. Wonder if that was intentional, or if such wasn't an regional problem at the time? ...

Yikes!

Reasonably well written story. Thanks on the share.

Choices have consequences. A lot of the folks in that story made some pretty danged piss poor life choices!

Some didn't, or learned their lesson & picked themselves up. Bettering themselves and family.

Not much about meth/illegal marijuana grows in the story. Wonder if that was intentional, or if such wasn't an regional problem at the time? ...
I think they were and are both big problems. I know a lot of people grow in my area. It doesn't bother me if they want to grow as long as they leave my place alone but I don't want to see any part of the Meth situation around my area. That attracts the worst of the bunch.

4 months ago a neighbor who travels for work came home after 4 weeks from work across country.
We all wondered if he had rented out his home - saw new people living there. Seems they came and squatted in his house after he left last. Even started receiving mail there. When he got back he called the cops. They told him it was a civil matter and refused to show up. (Once you receive mail addressed to you - even if squatting - it ties the hands of cops and locks in a civil proceeding.)

He took things into his own hands. In 3 days he was back in his home. Paid nearly 2 grand for a drop box and emptied all their tweaker crap. I didn't ask many questions. One morning there were a dozen biker dudes helping him clean the place out. Never saw the squatters again.
It took 3 weeks for PDX to tow away the burned out car they left on the street...

Sometimes, the old ways are the best ways. :s0033:
It's not squatting until you've been in the place for what, 5 years or 10 years in Oregon? Anything under that, correct me if I'm wrong, would be breaking and entering, burglary, trespassing, criminal mischief, and probably a few more broken laws to tally.

Seems you'd be risking not just your stuff, but your life, choosing to up and occupy someone else's dwelling.

It's not squatting until you've been in the place for what, 5 years or 10 years in Oregon? Anything under that, correct me if I'm wrong, would be breaking and entering, burglary, trespassing, criminal mischief, and probably a few more broken laws to tally.

Seems you'd be risking not just your stuff, but your life, choosing to up and occupy someone else's dwelling.
I think what happens to squatters depends on the LE agency in the area. The sophisticated squatters will produce some kind of BS paperwork showing they have a right to be on the property, they might change locks, etc. A lot of LEOs don't want to deal with it so they say it's a civil matter for the courts, get them evicted. Klamath County is a large county with an overstretched force. As evident from the article I linked to and with my personal experiences, somebody pretty much has to be dead or dying to get a strong response from the KC Sheriffs Dept.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top