JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Unless we get a "shelter in place" order before Sunday, my son and I are going to spend a few nights at our off grid cabin. I worry about squatters taking up residence there and would like some ideas on how I can prevent that from happening with months between visits. Currently I have a neighbor couple who drive by on a fairly regular basis but they will likely be moving soon. I have very limited solar power and battery set installed which might allow me to put a radio and or a very low watt lamp on a timer.

Please share any ideas you have that will make the place look lived in between my every few months visits.

You could leave your son there to watch the place, you could pay with with Capn' Crunch, or Coca-puffs.

Other than that, only some kind of security system running off a large battery bank and inverter like Simplysafe that is completely wireless and can also transmit an alert via the cell-tower network. I'm not sure how much current the main module pulls, but it can't be that much to where it would deplete a decent car battery setup with solar powered battery tender/charger.

Hope that helps!

Choking/blinding smoke and a hail bullets will clear out squatters amazingly quick-smart! ;)
That it will do...not sure how well the location will take it however...:D

I was thinking more along the lines of a quiet infiltration / Reconnaissance / flanking kinda of approach instead of a Blitzkrieg....:D
Ya know its the Ranger / LRRP / LRSD guy in me talking here...:D
Andy

We had constant squatters at the house behind us at the old place we lived. Aside from shuttering the doors/windows with plywood I'm not sure. They seem to always know when it's vacant and move in quick and silent. I didn't even know they were there until after they left.

If there is power and internet you could put up a security camera or something.

turn it into a timeshare - only available to members of this board - of course you'll want collateral damage insurance in case we encounter squatters.

That it will do...not sure how well the location will take it however...:D

I was thinking more along the lines of a quiet infiltration / Reconnaissance / flanking kinda of approach instead of a Blitzkrieg....:D
Ya know its the Ranger / LRRP / LRSD guy in me talking here...:D
Andy

I feel ya, but meth-heads wouldn't have any appreciation for those deftly executed skills... they DO however appreciate the fear of choking on smoke and getting gunned down. :D

I have been contemplating an off grid get away for years and have had thoughts about how to keep unwanted guest out. First off If you can gate the access road with a tamper proof lock setup that would help. I also would fabricate removable metal bar grids for all the doors and windows. I would design them so they could only be removed from the inside. Don't leave anything of value in sight and check on the place as often as practical.

Last Edited:
Step 1: rescue puma cub
Step 2: raise puma
Step 3: let loose puma on property
Step 4: don't forget to bring it treats to maintain the relationship.

We had constant squatters at the house behind us at the old place we lived. Aside from shuttering the doors/windows with plywood I'm not sure. They seem to always know when it's vacant and move in quick and silent. I didn't even know they were there until after they left.

If there is power and internet you could put up a security camera or something.
only a little solar power not enough for camera system, no internet.

Booby-traps?
Booby-traps?

44.jpg

only a little solar power not enough for camera system, no internet.
Looters don't know that.

Friend has a place in the middle of nowhere NV.

He used to get an occasional squatter.

He put up an old satellite dish and a few old security cameras. They had no power at his shack. But that's all that was needed to keep anymore folks from trying to use his place.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top