JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Having been "privileged" to know about several 'off grid cabins' I would offer the following suggestions. Expando steel grid material for the windows and doors, they will allow light in but keep all out, except for the most determined intruders. A "No Trespassing" sign to keep some of the casual ones out and provide 'evidence' that it is not a public facility. You could also add a concealed 'game camera' for recording who or what investigates or accesses the site. Be aware that 'locks' can be filled with a substance to prevent you using a key for access! Also note that 'booby traps' are frowned upon and are considered illegal in many locales.

Looters don't know that.

Friend has a place in the middle of nowhere NV.

He used to get an occasional squatter.

He put up an old satellite dish and a few old security cameras. They had no power at his shack. But that's all that was needed to keep anymore folks from trying to use his place.
Great point, I could probably get a used system for cheap off craigslist and mount those things everywhere. I will put that on the list.

Also. Non lethal, signal type, booby traps might be enough to scare the bejesus out of them.

When I was younger, I was out in some woods and stumbled upon a whole house up in pallets and Jack's. I kid you not, some crackhead had cut an access hole through the floor to get inside and fk the place up
I don't know what he used but it was a good 2'x4' hole with pallets stacked up for stairs.

I think the fact is nothing is impenetrable when time is of no concern.

I've been thinking about all these log cabin tiny houses for sale all over. Kind of thought about making one an outside vault. Ask them to make one with no windows, and then get steel doors. Solar lighting and some way to combat cold/mildew...

That it will do...not sure how well the location will take it however...:D

I was thinking more along the lines of a quiet infiltration / Reconnaissance / flanking kinda of approach instead of a Blitzkrieg....:D
Ya know its the Ranger / LRRP / LRSD guy in me talking here...:D
Andy

Can't you still buy smoke/marker grenades?

Guy in Shotgun News (now firearms news) runs an ad selling a pepper-spray booby trap device. I would want the added feature of a hidden camera so that while I was repairing the damaged door they came in, I could watch a slapstick comedy show.

It's almost impossible to keep creeps away from an unmanned area of interest. Even tall fences, razor wire, and surveillance equipment won't stop a determined meth head or thief... it's why live security guards exist.

The best I could come up with, without HUGE expense and turning the place into a well-protected squatter-house, was similar to this:
He put up an old satellite dish and a few old security cameras. They had no power at his shack. But that's all that was needed...

Some firm signage, devoid of overt threats (for liability's sake) declaring surveillance, "Restricted Access", "Severe Penalties", etc, etc might move squatters on to greener pastures.
Dummy cameras, fake antenna array, darkly tinted windows... shrouding the place in dark, vaguely officious, mystery will hopefully move the less intrepid squatter along.

Always arrive armed and in daylight and never alone. Non-lethal (LTL) booby traps can help give you an idea of what's been going on after-the-fact.

Unfortunately, locks will only result in broken locks and windows.

None of the above, short of armed security patrols, will actually stop anybody. But, like most defensive posturing (personal and structural) the best case scenario is to move the perp on to an easier target.

These work pretty well. They are a bluff, but they don't know that.

1584636682832.jpeg

Without living there or paying for constant armed patrolling - fuhgeddabouditt!

Now the trust worthy old care taker idea is a good-un, if he can be paid by living there rent free and not having to leave when you show up...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top