JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
...I had something else up here, but screw it, S&W Model 66...

1582837080193.png
...I'm a big fan of the model 15 and this is basically the souped-up stainless version of that gun.
Cartridge is capable, gun carries easily, stainless construction makes for easier maintenance.
Win-win-win, all the way.

Dean

Last Edited:
I'm a .357 fan. Not being a big guy, I can shoot up a box of .357 without arm/wrist fatigue. Not so with the .44 mag. It beats me up. Also, if you look at ballistics tables, the .357 isn't that far behind the .44. My 2 cents.

My s&w 627 pc is my go-to open carry gun. Always on my hip in the woods. 5" barrel with 8 rounds of .357. Plus i have a marlin .357, so rifle and handgun can share ammo.

I'm a .357 fan. Not being a big guy, I can shoot up a box of .357 without arm/wrist fatigue. Not so with the .44 mag. It beats me up. Also, if you look at ballistics tables, the .357 isn't that far behind the .44. My 2 cents.

It depends on the gun. I have a 460 mag that doesn't beat me up - especially shooting .45 Colt. On the other hand, my 329 PD hurts no matter what I shoot in it. On the other other hand, the 460V weighs a ton and the 329 PD you hardly know it is there. Everything is a compromise.

The .44 mag's capability is in a totally different league from the .357. For example, lets compare Buffalo Bore ammo, noted for being at or near the upper end. All numbers below from 5 to 6 inch barrels. The hottest Buffalo Bore .357 load is their 180 gr Heavy .357 mag Outdoorsman. It's 783 ft. lbs. The hottest but standard pressure .44 mag BB load is their Heavy 305 gr Hardcast, which is 1189 ft. lbs. Huge difference.

And that's just sticking to a standard velocity .44 mag load. If you're shooting a Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk or certain other very strong guns you csn shoot the BB 340 gr .44 mag +P+ Hardcast, which is 1533 ft.

For self defense in .44 though, I like a full/hot .44sp load, not a magnum. Such as the Grizzly 260 gr. Wide Flat Nose Hard Cast. Its 521 ft. lbs. And slightly over $1 each. And for practice try the Proficient Marksman SWCHC, which is 443 ft lbs. (7.5 inch barrel). It's produced by NWFAer @oremike and costs a little under $0.50/rd on new brass if you buy from him at gun shows he attends. He also does mail order.

These loads wont beat up your hand any more than good .357 loads.

Most full power 357 loads are about 500 ft. lbs. But heavy hunting loads are about 800. Over the counter .44 mag loads range from about 900 to 1200. So the hottest .357 loads are comparable to the weakest standard .44 mag loads. And .44 sp overlaps with both .357 mag and .38 sp.

Last Edited:
In all seriousness, I'm carrying my revolver now. It's a bit better that the 380 I typically carry and it's comfy to carry around the house and when I leave the house it hides fairly well. Only 5 shots of 357 vs 6 of 380...

Who knows, I might switch over to the G17 later, it's just not as comfy. Priorities....o_O

This would be a nice combo. One on the hip and one slung.
View attachment 673545
I'd go for a similar dual gun strategy if I had to deal with shtf long term and away from home. 686 snubby 357 as edc and carried concealed on person. Ruger Super Redhawk 9.5" .44 carried in pack in such a way that it can be accessed from outside pack in a couple of seconds starting from wearing pack. The RSRH is backup as well as a rifle substitute. Im figuring in a disaster if there are national guards or cops around, an unconcealed gun might be confiscated or get you shot. And would likely make you a target of bad guys. So long guns are out unless a takedown model that would fit in pack. With one .357 and one .44 mag I would be able to use most of the revolver loads I came across, if scrounging ammo ever became an issue.

But in reality, at age 73, in shtf I wouldnt be going anywhere. Id do just what Im doing now. Stay home, hunkered down, glad I have hundreds of pounds of gourmet varieties of corn, beans, and squash we grew ourselves, along with both hand and electric grinders. Those are my main staples anyway. and of course I already had ammo. And paper towels, which I prefer to tp.

But in reality, at age 73, in shtf I wouldnt be going anywhere. Id do just what Im doing now. Stay home, hunkered down, glad I have hundreds of pounds of gourmet varieties of corn, beans, and squash we grew ourselves, along with both hand and electric grinders. Those are my main staples anyway. and of course I already had ammo. And paper towels, which I prefer to tp.
What time is dinner?:D

There are many reasons I prefer revolvers to semis, most of which Ive seen stated over and over by others. But one of my reasons I havent seen. Back when I did a lot of hiking, I carried two different ammos in the cylinder. Say, with a .357, three rounds would be 180 gr flat nose hardcast, three would be HPs. Id carry with the high-penetration HC positioned to be fired first while in woods, where bear might be the most important issue. Or in the car, where I might have to shoot through door or windshield if attacked in car. But when I returned to civilization, where over-penetration rather than adequate penetration was the issue, I'd just swing cylinder so that the three HPs would be engaged first. Just repositioning the cylinder is very discreet compared to either reloading revolver or changing mags in a semi-auto.

...I had something else up here, but screw it, S&W Model 66...

View attachment 664069
...I'm a big fan of the model 15 and this is basically the souped-up stainless version of that gun.
Cartridge is capable, gun carries easily, stainless construction makes for easier maintenance.
Win-win-win, all the way.

Dean

Sexy. Here's my 64–it's basically the 15 without adjustable sights. This or my 19 are my EDC. I run 158 +P SWC 38 spcl in both.

ED0F223A-FA7F-42A3-871E-AED65A480ADB.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top