JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This question seems to be up for much debate on the internet, and I'm sure it's not the first time this has been asked here:

Do you all stock numerous or extra firearms for people around you? No need for numbers or pictures, but I can't help but wonder who keeps backup weapons for their primaries.

I have my couple of main defensive rifles and like to keep some "beater" ones around to use for parts or to hand out in an emergency if need be. More is less, or so they say.

Thoughts on how many is too much? This is without regard for other important preps like food, water, metals, ammo, etc.

Rifles, squad level of nearly interchangeable weapons/mags/ammo.

All centerfire long guns, platoon strength. Mix of action types, ammo, mags. Some redundancy( 2 or 3 of almost everything serviceable).

Plenty of rimfires and handguns in addition to the above.
But that was before that tragic boating accident. :(

I don't believe it's in my best interests to arm those not already owning firearms. In a SHTF there are a multitude of things they can do without being front line solders.

Minimum 1 defensive long gun and 1 handgun in similar calibers per family member. Beyond that are what I consider "specialized" firearms and/or spares. Of course, they all have their own firearms, but in SHTF, there is no guarantee there will be the time or opportunity for every one of them to retrieve their personal gear. I'm their fallback rudundancy.

Arming the neighbors? Sorry, but not on our lives.

No.

I do NOT believe that people should HAND OUT - LEND firearms to neighbors, friends and even to SOME people in their own family. NOT all families have sane or good people in them who could be trusted with a firearm worse off a kitchen knife from what I read in the news and seen in today's world.

I believe that IF a person who may be a neighbor, who may be a friend and even to a so called TRUSTED (?!?) family member who WAS and IS TOO LAZY, TOO CHEAP, TOO UNSKILLED and UNTRAINED DUE TO THEIR OWN LACK OF BEING CONCERNED AND PREPARED in Normal Times and IF they were ANTI GUN for a long time but SUDDENLY they want to own a gun due to some political EVENT, etc. - I sure would NOT LEND a firearm to any of those types of people worse off to a COMPLETE STRANGER or to someone that I really did NOT KNOW that well.

How long was their relationship and friendship? Did OTHER PEOPLE in their immediate CIRCLE OF FRIENDS in the 'gun world' KNOW that person and believe that they were SAFE, SANE and TRUSTWORTHY?

There are a LOT of questions to be answered for sure.

Now, if a person wanted to LEARN or be trained or to just UNDERSTAND the basic concepts of FIREARM SAFETY and that sort of thing, I do believe that such a person should be given a CHANCE TO LEARN and be TRAINED properly when it comes to ALL GUN SAFETY ISSUES whether they decide to buy their own gun or figure out that IT IS SOMETHING that they do NOT want to get INTO once they try it out under safe conditions and under the GUIDANCE OF SOMEONE who knows what the heck they are doing when it comes to teaching/training/etc.!

There are some really STUPID people out there when it comes to personal responsibility in their own lives from a to z! NOT only in financial matters but IN their personal lives.

THOSE TYPES OF PEOPLE are NOT always clueless or 'ignorant' since they have been TOLD OVER and OVER AGAIN and taught to do the RIGHT THING.

They ASK FOR ADVICE and are given it over and over AGAIN. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink KIND OF THING!

Yet, they CONTINUE TO EFF UP THEIR LIVES. NO offense!

So WHY the HECK would ANY SANE and HONEST GUN OWNER want to TRUST THEM WITH JACK SQUAT worse off a FIREARM that belongs to them where it could come back to BITE THEM IN THE @@@ BIG TIME?!

THAT IS TRUE INSANITY especially if you KNOW what type of person wants to borrow or be lent a gun of YOURS!

DO you want to LOSE IT ALL? Everything that YOU worked hard for as a working or retired man or woman?! I DO NOT THINK SO!

IF they, those beggars and LEECHES, WANT to own a gun - let THEM GO DOWN to a store and BUY THEIR OWN with their OWN MONEY and jump through the hoops just as WE have already done in our own lives.

And if the poop really HIT THE FAN some more - do you really want some dumb @@@ DONKEY aka A LEECH around your home - hanging out and begging for crapola when they could be safe in their OWN HOME if they did the correct thing all along?

Some of THOSE PEOPLE lived high off of the hog, did not pay their bills and declared MULTIPLE bankruptcies (Not only one EFF UP!) like TRUMP and other Rs and Ds in this world, SOME OF THEM may not have declared business failures but they did this in their PERSONAL BANKRUPTCIES and they had many cellular telephones, did NOT hardly pay any taxes, had their cable and sat. dishes, had their HUGE brand new pick up trucks, had their fancy clothes, and did other STUPID and unresponsible STUFF with their MONEY and ALL OF A SUDDEN - they want YOU to lend them a GUN and ammo?! LOL Eeerrrr, NO WAY!

And the MORE that people including family members keep ON doing s and giving s to their LAZY and/or whining children with their HANDS OUT, friends and strangers while they SUPPORT ALL OF THIS WELFARE AND OTHER CRAPOLA WITH OUR TAX DOLLARS - THE MORE THIS SOCIETY WILL JUST KEEP ON GOING DOWN THE TOILET WITH ONE BIG FLUSH!

NO MORE CRAZY LAND - NO MORE SENILE LAND in any political party!

Enough is enough!

Old Lady Opinionated - Fiscally Conservative and OLD SCHOOL Cate

Last Edited:
Those leeches that want some freebies of yours and other LEECHES IN SOCIETY are a LIABILITY in more ways than one.

Let them learn a gardening skill or CHOP DOWN FIREWOOD or FISH.

Teach a man how to FISH - don't just GIVE him or her a fish!

Cate

I have been TRYING to quote someone here and it will NOT TAKE on this thread.

I have NO clue WHY it is screwed up after numerous attempts and refreshments on the thread.

I gave my husband my last 2 firearms - 2 rifles.

They are duplicates of his CZ bolt action rifles in 22wmr and in 22lr. Iron sights!

I can still shoot - use those rifles and keep up my safety skills in firearms.

I do think that some duplicate firearms are a good idea for INDIVIDUALS LIVING ALONE, for SOME couples and for SOME people living IN the same home.

Old Lady Cate

Teach a man to fish.....good saying for sure.

Reminds me of another saying...
Teach a man how to start a fire and he will be warm all night...
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life....:eek: :D
Eek....maybe I ought to get out of the wise saying department.....
Andy

Standardize firearms and ammunition.
Select firearms that can be easily maintained during SHTF
Select ammunition based on availability AND it's ability to be used by people of most ages.

For me that boils down to AR-15 in 5.56. That may be different for you.
For pistols we standardized on M&P in 9mm due to how they fit my wife's hands compared to others. Glock would probably be a better choice due to aftermarket support.

Personally, as in no matter what these are mine, is an AR308 and a KSG.

I have enough to provide security for my small development. I know my neighbors well enough to know who I might be able to count on. I'm relieved that my troublesome lefty neighbors across the street just sold and moved. Almost everyone else is firearm friendly just not likely to be prepared. The rest are firearm friendly and prepared.

It's also enough to arm close relatives nearby that have never seen the need to prepare and will be caught short during SHTF. I keep my options open, but consider that during SHTF no man is an island and you and your family will almost certainly die without community.

In addition to arms you need communications and first aid at a minimum. It's a BIG topicto which entire forums are dedicated.

No.

I do NOT believe that people should HAND OUT - LEND firearms to neighbors, friends and even to SOME people in their own family. NOT all families have sane or good people in them who could be trusted with a firearm worse off a kitchen knife from what I read in the news and seen in today's world.

I believe that IF a person who may be a neighbor, who may be a friend and even to a so called TRUSTED (?!?) family member who WAS and IS TOO LAZY, TOO CHEAP, TOO UNSKILLED and UNTRAINED DUE TO THEIR OWN LACK OF BEING CONCERNED AND PREPARED in Normal Times and IF they were ANTI GUN for a long time but SUDDENLY they want to own a gun due to some political EVENT, etc. - I sure would NOT LEND a firearm to any of those types of people worse off to a COMPLETE STRANGER or to someone that I really did NOT KNOW that well.
Preach it!

I have neighbors who should have the guns they already do possess taken away. I am not a proponent of confiscation, but life has proven there are certain people who are not capable of the responsibility. These people are a prime example. They are a danger to themselves and the neighborhood. I don't trust them with a nerf gun and I certainly don't want them anywhere near me when SHTF.

And when I already have a difficult time convincing family of the need to consider some preparation and training, I am sure not going to focus that energy on the fools next door by providing them with the means to shoot us in the back, literally and figuratively.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top