JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think it's a bad idea to have a handful of extras available. People may not have time to get their own when SHTF. People commute and run errands all the time - just because they have guns locked up in the safe at home doesn't mean they will be able to get to it when they need it.

I don't believe it's in my best interests to arm those not already owning firearms. In a SHTF there are a multitude of things they can do without being front line solders.
I think that it will be 100% situational dependant.

example 1: WWIII or similar LONG term devastation where food will become a rare commodity. Then no. I'm not going to provide others with weapons that can be used against me.

example 2: Wide spread power failure, but with expectation that power will be back in 2-8 weeks. Then it could lbe useful to have everyone in our little subdivision (19 homes) armed in case thugs/raiders/scum decide to hop in their cars and terrorize neighborhoods for fun and profit.

Out of the 19 homes in our subdivision, I'd guess that 14 or more homes already have guns, and at least a dozen have enough food to last a month or more. How much ammo people have may be a different isssue.

Just have to play it by ear.

In a short term senario I'll even share food and let people borrow my cheaper generator to keep their freezers cold (they supply the fuel). But the food I'll share will be the cheap, easy to replace rice & beans and not the Mountain House or the Augason Farms foods. Lots of people on the block who have grills and camping stoves and campers, so they can boil the water for the R&B themselves.

I also have a large gravity water filter that is good for a 100,000 gallons (package says 1 million but I have reduced expectations) that I'll share, as I have 3 other quality filters I can use.

I have several guns - more than I can personally carry at one time. And I have some extra ammo and mags that go along with the extra ones. So I could certainly see lending a trustworthy friend something, I can't see investing in multiple copies of the same thing just for the purposes of lending or spares.

I can't see investing in multiple copies of the same thing just for the purposes of lending or spares.
That, having multiple copies of the same gun, is exactly what I do and advocate others do. At least for guns meant for prepping, for obvious reasons:

1) Having the same gun means parts, mags, ammo are interchangeable.
2) Training, manual of arms, etc.

Now it doesn't need to be solely for parts/lending and the guns do not need to be identical. Most of my SIG handguns (8 I think) save one (the SIGPro 2022), share many parts, but even in the same model, they are not identical - e.g., my P227s are a Nitron, a Carry and a Tactical. I don't think I will ever wear out their barrels, but maybe an extractor breaks - then I can swap parts or just switch to different gun or, if I have a spare parts kit, then I am probably covered if I just have enough for one gun.

There are some people I know and trust for whom acquiring ARs or similar firearms for personal protection is lower on the priority list than other things (namely kids and the expenses that come with them). They know how to use guns properly, and have shotguns or pistols for HD, but that's about it. I generally have a few spare loadouts set aside for SHTF situations, not specifically for them, but with them or others like them in mind. I can always cannibalize them for parts if nobody needs them.

All that being said, they definitely don't get my nice sh!t. :s0112:

That, having multiple copies of the same gun, is exactly what I do and advocate others do. At least for guns meant for prepping, for obvious reasons:

1) Having the same gun means parts, mags, ammo are interchangeable.
2) Training, manual of arms, etc.

Now it doesn't need to be solely for parts/lending and the guns do not need to be identical. Most of my SIG handguns (8 I think) save one (the SIGPro 2022), share many parts, but even in the same model, they are not identical - e.g., my P227s are a Nitron, a Carry and a Tactical. I don't think I will ever wear out their barrels, but maybe an extractor breaks - then I can swap parts or just switch to different gun or, if I have a spare parts kit, then I am probably covered if I just have enough for one gun.
Why do I need to interchange parts of guns with myself? I can only use one gun at a time, and they are all reasonably dependable, so why would I take parts out of a working gun to fix a broken gun? What would I be doing to get a carry gun broken?

According to a lot of first hand experience people have posted on pistol-forum, an awful lot of modern handguns won't just work for 2000 rounds, they don't even need to lubed or cleaned.

I would hate to not have the range of interesting firearms I have because I was spending that money on having duplicates. I feel stupid enough having both a .38 K frame and a .45 N frame.

ui.png

My question to you all is how many of you drive around with complete battle gear in your car all the time. Yes, I know some do but most folks I know only have their EDC and maybe a back pack/go bag and that is about it.

Some folks work in places where random searches can take place and jobs can be lost if they have a trunk full of guns and gear.

So, if the SHTF and you are not home and you cannot get home because of a true SHTF would it not be great to get to a family/friend's house and have a battle weapon waiting for you to use to protect you and them.

I posted on another topic I have family that rides motorcycles and it hard to carry an AR hidden. Hand guns are good to go and depending on the bike maybe a PCC but a battle rifle and a plate carrier not so well.

So, I do have extra toys, ammo and gear for a rainy day to cover several folks if need be. All duty weapons that I trust with my life.

I feel it gives me good reason to buy toys and good ones at that.

I have enough rifles, pistols and ammo for my side of the street. My neighbor has enough for the whole block.

Blue helmets welcome.

I figured out how to quote people, Cate.

No.

I do NOT believe that people should HAND OUT - LEND firearms to neighbors, friends and even to SOME people in their own family. NOT all families have sane or good people in them who could be trusted with a firearm worse off a kitchen knife from what I read in the news and seen in today's world.

I believe that IF a person who may be a neighbor, who may be a friend and even to a so called TRUSTED (?!?) family member who WAS and IS TOO LAZY, TOO CHEAP, TOO UNSKILLED and UNTRAINED DUE TO THEIR OWN LACK OF BEING CONCERNED AND PREPARED in Normal Times and IF they were ANTI GUN for a long time but SUDDENLY they want to own a gun due to some political EVENT, etc. - I sure would NOT LEND a firearm to any of those types of people worse off to a COMPLETE STRANGER or to someone that I really did NOT KNOW that well.

How long was their relationship and friendship? Did OTHER PEOPLE in their immediate CIRCLE OF FRIENDS in the 'gun world' KNOW that person and believe that they were SAFE, SANE and TRUSTWORTHY?

There are a LOT of questions to be answered for sure.

Now, if a person wanted to LEARN or be trained or to just UNDERSTAND the basic concepts of FIREARM SAFETY and that sort of thing, I do believe that such a person should be given a CHANCE TO LEARN and be TRAINED properly when it comes to ALL GUN SAFETY ISSUES whether they decide to buy their own gun or figure out that IT IS SOMETHING that they do NOT want to get INTO once they try it out under safe conditions and under the GUIDANCE OF SOMEONE who knows what the heck they are doing when it comes to teaching/training/etc.!

There are some really STUPID people out there when it comes to personal responsibility in their own lives from a to z! NOT only in financial matters but IN their personal lives.

THOSE TYPES OF PEOPLE are NOT always clueless or 'ignorant' since they have been TOLD OVER and OVER AGAIN and taught to do the RIGHT THING.

They ASK FOR ADVICE and are given it over and over AGAIN. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink KIND OF THING!

Yet, they CONTINUE TO EFF UP THEIR LIVES. NO offense!

So WHY the HECK would ANY SANE and HONEST GUN OWNER want to TRUST THEM WITH JACK SQUAT worse off a FIREARM that belongs to them where it could come back to BITE THEM IN THE @@@ BIG TIME?!

THAT IS TRUE INSANITY especially if you KNOW what type of person wants to borrow or be lent a gun of YOURS!

DO you want to LOSE IT ALL? Everything that YOU worked hard for as a working or retired man or woman?! I DO NOT THINK SO!

IF they, those beggars and LEECHES, WANT to own a gun - let THEM GO DOWN to a store and BUY THEIR OWN with their OWN MONEY and jump through the hoops just as WE have already done in our own lives.

And if the poop really HIT THE FAN some more - do you really want some dumb @@@ DONKEY aka A LEECH around your home - hanging out and begging for crapola when they could be safe in their OWN HOME if they did the correct thing all along?

Some of THOSE PEOPLE lived high off of the hog, did not pay their bills and declared MULTIPLE bankruptcies (Not only one EFF UP!) like TRUMP and other Rs and Ds in this world, SOME OF THEM may not have declared business failures but they did this in their PERSONAL BANKRUPTCIES and they had many cellular telephones, did NOT hardly pay any taxes, had their cable and sat. dishes, had their HUGE brand new pick up trucks, had their fancy clothes, and did other STUPID and unresponsible STUFF with their MONEY and ALL OF A SUDDEN - they want YOU to lend them a GUN and ammo?! LOL Eeerrrr, NO WAY!

And the MORE that people including family members keep ON doing s and giving s to their LAZY and/or whining children with their HANDS OUT, friends and strangers while they SUPPORT ALL OF THIS WELFARE AND OTHER CRAPOLA WITH OUR TAX DOLLARS - THE MORE THIS SOCIETY WILL JUST KEEP ON GOING DOWN THE TOILET WITH ONE BIG FLUSH!

NO MORE CRAZY LAND - NO MORE SENILE LAND in any political party!

Enough is enough!

Old Lady Opinionated - Fiscally Conservative and OLD SCHOOL Cate
Now, tell us how you REALLY feel…! :)

Teach a man to fish.....good saying for sure.

Reminds me of another saying...
Teach a man how to start a fire and he will be warm all night...
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life....:eek: :D
Eek....maybe I ought to get out of the wise saying department.....
Andy
Red Foreman said it best, "give a slacker your foot up his azz and he'll quickly pull his head out of it."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top