JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree plastic has no place in revolvers.

Now Glocks........they work as intended. That's really the only reason I own them. :)

7FF7A1F9-F4B5-4CED-8F68-5CAE22BC932F.jpeg

I once had a revolver that I still wish I'd not sold. S&W 686+.
P1010003.JPG P1010002.JPG
When the Model 69 came out I ended up buying one, thinking it would be a good replacement for the 686+.
dirty 44.jpg
I've "played" with the 69 for a couple of years and while it's a fine gun and I often pack it outdoors, if I had the opportunity I'd trade it for the 686+.
You'll probably have noticed, I like 4" barrels on my revolvers.

My first choice for a wheel gun is my S&W 329 - lightweight, powerful and versatile. Hell to shoot, but heaven to carry. My second choice is my TRR8. Either one of those in a shoulder or chest holster and my S&W pre-34 in 22 on my hip.

Say, for whatever reason, you opted for a revolver for your primary handgun for a disaster situation, what would it be and why?

Personally, I'm torn between the S&W 686 and 29. The former is a seven shot, .357 Magnum, the latter a six shot .44 Magnum. I'd lean toward the latter because large critters on our property would be just as much as issue as two-legged varmints.

View attachment 657802

I see no reason why BOTH isn't the correct answer. Carry whichever is appropriate for the day or excursion.

Not many bears downtown, so the .357 with capacity is more appropriate. Going into deep brush, the .44 is the winner.

Say, for whatever reason, you opted for a revolver for your primary handgun for a disaster situation, what would it be and why?

Personally, I'm torn between the S&W 686 and 29. The former is a seven shot, .357 Magnum, the latter a six shot .44 Magnum. I'd lean toward the latter because large critters on our property would be just as much as issue as two-legged varmints.

View attachment 657802

I real like my 686-1 revolver. They only change was a Pachmyar rubber grip. It helps with shooting.357 magnum loads.

885CB7AE-F217-4865-AB57-4BABB15A85BD.jpeg

Last Edited:
One thing I like about the .327 is you can run .32 S&W, .32 Long, .32 H&R Magnum, and .327 Magnum. I've read, though not confirmed, that the semi-rimmed .32 ACP will work too. :)
.32 ACP certainly does work. However the utility of cartridge families is overrated. The only useful .32's are the H&R Mag and the .327. The 32ACP might have a use on small game, and for sheer availability.

For a wheelgun I'd take something like a S&W 66, although I'd think about a .22LR gun too. Nobody needs to worry about grizzlies and moose and buffalo where we live. Availability of ammo is very important.

Ya, OK, no buffalo around here that I know of and I don't spend my time in fear of the others however cougars (both type), bears (grizzly and black), moose. Haven't personally seen grizzly or evidence of them however they have been documented here. YMMV. :s0004:

All that said I'm quite content with with my model 60 smith in .357. :)

My two .357 magnums, which I think are pretty versatile. In that they shoot two common cartridges, .38 Special and .357 Mag.

Smith & Wesson Model 28-3, called The Highway Patrolman. Which was a kinda delete option version of the fancier Model 27. I've owned several of these over the decades, but this is the last one I bought. Got it new in 1986. I put the Pachmayr grips on it but I still have the original stocks for it in the box.
EjRyfV4.jpg

Smith & Wesson Model 66-4. This one was made in 1994 but I got it years later from a friend one time when he needed money. This is a fairly low production gun, I think it was a distributor special of some kind. The rubber grips are factory original to it.
PWPVJ9a.jpg

Some nice wheel guns here. I have a S & W Model 66 K Frame .357 probably about 1974 vintage. First handgun I bought at the age of 19 from a former biker who said he carried it when he rode in to Half Moon Bay with the Angels. I have had it since 1977. Biker is still a good friend too. Put some Hogue grips on it about 25 years ago when a couple of my boys shot youth competition with it. It shoots great.

Probably have not shot it in 4 years. Think I will put it in the pickup and run the 10 minutes out to the BLM ground tomorrow and put a couple of cylinders through it.

Not my gun but close

sqHt2NOOSCWB2Dyx9_3uTcscRUDhxYUHQ4Y53_c&height=220.jpg

I'd personally go with the single actions seen in older western movies. I'm not sure what brand or model they are but they hold over 40 rounds before reloading and they kill the target without aiming in one shot every time.

Other than big fuzzies, not much about the conditions.
Is portability a major issue?
Is it going to be mostly a car & home Defense piece?
In the DVC calculus, how important is each factor relative to the others?
All of the suggestions would be great based on what's most important.

I'd personally go with the single actions seen in older western movies. I'm not sure what brand or model they are but they hold over 40 rounds before reloading and they kill the target without aiming in one shot every time.
It is well known that those movie guns were 45's, thus the lack of need to reload. :p

The old-style Colt DA lockwork will get out of time from wear quicker than a S&W. This is probably irrelevant since most people will never shoot any given gun enough to wear it out. I built a DAO Det Special to reduce this once.
The old Colts are more difficult to work on. Also probably irrelevant.
That said my choice would be a M28 6" or a Dan Wesson .357.
AND last and least maybe a 1895 Nagant because you could shoot most of the old .32 calibers when the Powerball, Hydra-shoks, etc. are gone. Not the 1st choice but beats a stick.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top