JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While I get the appeal of matching cal. pistol or revolver/carbine combos, and indeed would like a rig in 10mm, I'm a rifleman. If I'm going to carry a long arm it's going to be a rifle. If the address is "way out there", that's where I want to send the letter! Just me!

it's a tool, one of many
My pref is a 762x39 and a small 9mm as back-up. in my opinion handguns take-up way too much real estate for what they give you over a long gun

That's a point worth considering, as the weight of a handgun (and extra clips) could be replaced with more clips and ammo for the rifle.
it's a tool, one of many
My pref is a 762x39 and a small 9mm as back-up. in my opinion handguns take-up way too much real estate for what they give you over a long gun

That's a point worth considering, as the weight of a handgun (and extra clips) could be replaced with more clips and ammo for the rifle.
depends on the rifle and the handgun; I would argue you would be best off having a pack with bandoliers/ammo pouches inside or a stash of more ammo for both, while minimizing what you have on your person for the purpose of going fast and light; instead of going full "SAW/M60 gunner with huge pouches" format.... but rather, going light and small gear with minimal equipment... (although my black harness is NOT minimal....it's meant more for having pouches for survival gear than just ammo)

I find I can carry a lot of clips for my SKS; in fact, I can carry up to 400 rounds and still have room for pistol magazines and small equipment or utility pouches on my harness; because the clips are not large, and they have less weight/bulk compared to magazines. It takes practice loading clips fast in the SKS, but that is what going for shooting places is for :D Again, it depends on the rifle and handgun combination. I know a great many have AKs or AR types, and thus, there is a great many variation of equipment layouts and systems that would work for individuals.

I'm curious about those who would have the following;
lever rifle and revolver; how would one carry the ammo for them?

Same kind of pouch you carry your SKS clips in. I pack 8 round moonclips for my revolver and loose cartridges for the carbine. I doubt this takes up any more space per 400 rounds than your setup for the SKS,and is probably lighter.

Same kind of pouch you carry your SKS clips in. I pack 8 round moonclips for my revolver and loose cartridges for the carbine. I doubt this takes up any more space per 400 rounds than your setup for the SKS,and is probably lighter.

my "heavy" set up is basically THIS. the SKS/utility pouches are 5" tall and 4.5" wide and around 2.75" deep; or very similar to the M1967 20 rd AR mag pouches. this is usually in one of my small bags that's ready to go in my ALICE pack if I need to get out quick....my 30 sec set up has a green LC belt and a pistol and two similar pouches for the SKS clips.

DSCF0406_zps2098c3a9.jpg

to answer the question though I'll be packing a 1911 and an SKS, my wife a 9mm Sig and a mini14.

cause it's what I have.

after thinking about this some more - I don't know that a small group gains the same advantages as a military does by consolidating calibers. i can think of all kinds of reasona that an ability to shoot what you find might be paramount.

so I've reversed my thinking: long live caliber diversification!

me: 12ga, 45, 76238
wife: 20ga, 9, 556

and if all we can find is 40 then i guess we'll figure something out.

Ah yes, the "cowboy combo" a legend that traces back all the way to billy the kid. Interestingly enough, billy the kid made his living by stealing, not by hunting.

So this means you're either shooting a handgun that's several orders of magnitude heavier and more powerful than you need, or you're shooting a rifle that's way underpowered. Also, this means you're stuck with only one caliber, thus unless the ammo is what you find is that caliber, you're SOL. So would you want a BFR and a guide gun (.45-70) or a ruger mk2 and 10-22? Now imagine you're in bear country.

I think I might be open to the PS-90 (SBR) and a FiveSeveN as the "cowboy combo" but I don't really think there's any advantage to this over a glock 19 and an AK.

Also, stay away from the JRC's, those things break constantly and never seem to run right.
Read this: Gun Review: JR Carbine | The Truth About Guns and then also factor in the bolt handles breaking off.

My go to is the M4gery in .223, a 9mm pistol, and a .22LR drop in conversion for the AR. This means I can duke it out with everyone in the US for more ammo, and I essentially have 3 guns for the weight of 2. With a cowboy, you have 1.5 guns for the weight of 2.

The cowboy combo has been done to death, all it really gives you is ammo commonality, which is probably the least important factor when the world turns upside-down. Having fewer guns with more capabilities is a much better way to go.

I have ran over 3000 rounds through my JRC with no issues at all, except last round bolt stop is not present.

I maintain that the only choices of these four is the 22&23 Because: if you purchase a 22 (my favorite) you can also purchase a SECOND BARREL which will allow you to shoot either 9mm or .40 from the very same gun. This can be vital if and when ammo becomes scarce, and looking for TWO available calibers sure beats being limited to ONE.

Don't you mean .357 Sig, NOT 9mm?

One of my favorite pieces is my Sig P556 with the new SB-15 stabilizer. The combo is considered a pistol but functions very much like a short barreled rifle. This is Sig's photo, mine is identical except I use a rotary diopter rear sight instead of the red-dot.

P556-SWAT-SB15-Detail-Hero.jpg

P556-SWAT-SB15-Detail-Hero.jpg

Lots of interesting things in this thread.

First on buying Nato caliber firearms because "there will be plenty of ammo laying around".... Well if there is plenty of ammo just laying around, what happened to all the guns that were meant to go with it? If there is plenty of 5.56 where are all the M-16's that go with it? So it should not matter what gun you start with, be it grandpas side x side 12g a or your basic hunting rifle since an "upgrade" should be out there almost as easy as the "ammo stocking plan".

As for pistol caliber carbines, they are awesome. No, they are not as powerful as rifle caliber long guns, but they are a huge step up from handguns. Many of them with 16" barrels are easily capable of reasonable accuracy out to 200-300 yards.

If we are just dealing with same calibers I have combos in;
9mm

If we are talking using the same mags I do have a Camp 9 that uses modified M9 mags, but I do not have a Beretta. However I do have this combo;

DSC_0010.jpg

The last thing a man should ever do is to rant, 3 sentances of ranting in Amerika=Obama
Speak your mind, but FIRST know your mind
It's important to be precise because if America goes south, way south, those last few sentances may be the last words you ever speak to America, Mom. Dad. Sis. Bros.
I've been there, done that. Wrote enough letters to learn that those PPL you thought you were protecting are shadows. The Real Peeps are standing on either side of you.
I was, and remain a Bravo, a combat MOS.
They called me a Combat Monkey, they laughed when we were slaughtered and drank bubbely as we died. I hope they live forever, forever and more because the devil will get em and make them more sore than any true man would.
You see? Real men don't do poetry, none at all

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads