JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another one I used to have. Three Screw Ruger Blackhawk in 41 Magnum made in 1967. (The only year for the "neck feather" emblem)
For a very short time I had it's mate in.357, too. This gun I had for a long time. Poliished the sear and changed to a steel grip frame. When I bought it it had no rear sight blade and I later found out why. Once the blade was replaced the gun shot very high. I even filed down the new, rear blade and it was still too high. I had Rich's in Donald add metal to the front site so the thing could be sighted in. At 50 yards a center hold put a bullet in the bullseye. I always wanted to chop the barrel to 5 or 5 1/2", but just never took the step. Sold it to a good friend a few years ago.
41 a.jpg 41 b.jpg

About a week after I bought my ROA, in March of 1985, I asked the importers here in yUK, Viking Arms, to supply me with a higher foresight - as detailed in the instructions with the gun. Now, thirty-three years and six months and eighteen days later, I'm still waiting.

P1040636.JPG

I'm kind of a S&W guy. That SP101 is Wifey's carry revolver. On the right the two are a pre M14 and a Pre m36. The pre 14 was my paternal grand fathers carry piece when he was in some kind of LE in the Los Angeles in the late '40,-early '50s M&Ps? Combat master pieces? Never been sure about that. View attachment 520269

Last Edited:
Mikej: FWIW Your Granddaddy's gun is a pre Model 14 aka:K-38. Very common with the LAPD & LA County Sheriff's Office.

Okay...when i got this I though it was a pre M10. Just a short time ago I came to the conclusion that it was a 15 being as it has adjustable sights...So is the 14 a budget version of a M15?

I'd look it up myself but I just sat down to date the M 19-5 in the pic. I'm thinking you know it off the top of your head. :D

The K-38 and the pre Model 15(called the Masterpiece) are basically the same gun but the pre15 has a lighter weight 4" Barrel. The K-38(pre Model 14) was developed as a Target Pistol with a 6" tube and a wider rib. Hope this helps. :):):)

The K-38 and the pre Model 15(called the Masterpiece) are basically the same gun but the pre15 has a lighter weight 4" Barrel. The K-38(pre Model 14) was developed as a Target Pistol with a 6" tube and a wider rib. Hope this helps. :):):)

Great, thank you sir!

I had one of the Combat Masterpiece revolvers. Pre Model 15 and like Mike's, a "five screw" with the upper sideplate screw and the lower screw in the front of the trigger guard. If I was a collector I never could have let go of that gun, but I'm a user and it had to go. Long story short, when I bought it in the mid 90's it did not appear to have been fired. No box or paperwork, but nearly flawless in every other way. I put a few hundred soft loads thru it and babied it, then traded it away for a 649 I wouldn't mind having back. (guess I just can't have nice things)

orygun; There are still a lot of very nice Smith and Wesson Model 15s out there. I AM a Collector but I'm also a shooter so I enjoy the guns in more than one way. Mike aka:KKG:)

I had one of the Combat Masterpiece revolvers. Pre Model 15 and like Mike's, a "five screw" with the upper sideplate screw and the lower screw in the front of the trigger guard. If I was a collector I never could have let go of that gun, but I'm a user and it had to go. Long story short, when I bought it in the mid 90's it did not appear to have been fired. No box or paperwork, but nearly flawless in every other way. I put a few hundred soft loads thru it and babied it, then traded it away for a 649 I wouldn't mind having back. (guess I just can't have nice things)

Doubt I'll ever own a gun I "Can't" shoot. I have guns I hardly shoot though, because its' my choice. It just turned out that way after I bought them.

As a Collector I have a few that I'll never shoot. And also as a Collector I have one that I bought to shoot but I haven't in a lot of years because it's too valuable. I paid $5.00 over Retail and got 900 rounds of ammo with it. In 2005 it was appraised by someone who should know, he told me if I put it up for Auction I should set a Reserve of $13,000! He said it would likely go up in value by 1K a year so it's doubled. I'm thinking of telling the story on here since I purchased it 50 years ago this year. Sometimes they do go up in value.:):):)

As a Collector I have a few that I'll never shoot. And also as a Collector I have one that I bought to shoot but I haven't in a lot of years because it's too valuable. I paid $5.00 over Retail and got 900 rounds of ammo with it. In 2005 it was appraised by someone who should know, he told me if I put it up for Auction I should set a Reserve of $13,000! He said it would likely go up in value by 1K a year so it's doubled. I'm thinking of telling the story on here since I purchased it 50 years ago this year. Sometimes they do go up in value.:):):)

I just don't have the resources ($$$) to hang onto everything. I wish I did, but I also like to try "new toys" so usually something has to go.

I believe you've disclosed a little of this gun before, but I stories.

Is that actually mounted, or just propped for the picture? While it really looks stupid, that could be fun to shoot. Ever shoot a 38 at 100 yards?
it would be fun to shoot but it was just a gag pic, sorry I couldn't resist.

Edit yes I have shot 38 at 100 yards but out of my rossi carbine, no snub nose 100yd shots:)

I'd listen to that story. For me guns are something that fascinate me. I buy one, and then another gun that fascinates me comes along and I save up to buy that one. Not really collectibles, but hopefully I'll have that money secure in those arms so that if I ever HAVE to have some money I'll get at least what I paid for them. Most of them anyway. They could be considered free entertainment, in my mind.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top