JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Your favorite Magnum cartridge?

• .22 WMR

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • .32 H&R Magnum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .327 Federal Magnum

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • .357 Magnum

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • .41 Magnum

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • .44 Magnum

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • .454 Casull

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • .460 Magnum

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • .500 Magnum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, none, something else

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
44. Uh... Why?

If you've ever shot a 44 mag giggle stick... no explanation is required. If you know, you know.šŸ˜

357 Magnum . I use to shoot more 44 mag but as I am getting older I like the less recoil of the 357.
When I shoot 357 I shoot full power 125/158 JHP with H-110. 38 special for the bunny fart loads.
340 PD Airweight or 686+ recoil is a bit different.:s0159:
1710927302307.png

I voted 44 Mag. I have a 32, 357 and 41 as well and have owned a 480 and shot the 454, 460 and 500. To me there is a comfort with the 7 1/2" Redhawk carried cross draw that is not there with the 6" single actions carried on my hip. The 32 is a fun target/ plinker. The 357's and 41 are good woods walk about when nothing is mad at me guns and will feed me in a pinch. Much lighter to carry than the 44 but when things might get real I'm going for the big Ruger 44 Mag every time. As far as the bigger calibers I don't see them doing anything more than the 44 does at least on the critters around here.

357 Magnum . I use to shoot more 44 mag but as I am getting older I like the less recoil of the 357.
When I shoot 357 I shoot full power 125/158 JHP with H-110. 38 special for the bunny fart loads.
340 PD Airweight or 686+ recoil is a bit different.:s0159:
View attachment 1846808
Not a magnum guy myself. One of my first guns I bought from a member was a 6" S&W 629. It came with a box of factory ammo. It just doesn't feel right to me having that much jarring power in a hand gun. Nope. >>>>>
44. Uh... Why?
^^^^That's what I asked myself! :D So I sold it, with brass, bullets and dies. Several years ago I picked up a nice Winchester 94 AE in .38/.357 with the intent on shooting mostly .38 sp. But in the last couple months picked up a bunch of nickel .357 brass and loaded up some full power .357. @ron, for reference, I'm curious what your loads is with 125 grain jacketed and H110? I started with 20grs and it seemed too heavy for me to enjoy so down loaded to 16grs with mag primers.

Was Harry wrong?

Model 29 goodness.....

"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

dirty-harry-44-magnum_f.jpg

I am running 18.5 grains of H110 with 125 JHP Hornady I use to do 18.8 of H110. Reduced loads with H110
are not recommended? From Hodgdon's "Don't start at more than 3% below their published starting loads".
Thanks Ron.
Oh I had the data alright. I had heard the same with other magnum handgun powders. 2400, 296, for a couple.
I'd originally picked up quite a bit of the H110 for .30 carbine, but haven't got around to it. I saw that max load for .357 mag was 22grs, and that was a compressed load. That'd be one stout load.

I voted .44 Magnum as I really like the cartridge. There are a lot of nice firearms so chambered. And the versatility is a most helpful. Standard loads provide plenty of power, but it is still controllable. Light .44 Specials are fun to plink with and suppress well in carbine form. Birdshot cartridges are handy for dispatching pests without the noise and destruction of a shotgun blast. The big boomer loads produce more than enough juice for both large animals, as well as two-legged varmints. And it is just fun launching bowling pins and metallic silhouettes with the cartridge.

Honorable mentions:
  • The .357 Magnum. Sort of the "jilted lover" in the line up, I rarely shoot it any more in either revolver or carbine form. However, after shooting a bunch up in a Smith the other day, whilst putting a Webley through the paces, I remembered why it is a good one. Powerful and versatile too, it is a fine old cartridge.
  • The .500 Magnum. I enjoy it because it is so gonzo; nothing less, nothing more. I'm sure it would make a great handgun hunting cartridge, but I just enjoy blasting various targets with said when in the right mood. And the revolver it is chambered is just kind of neato.
I'll admit to being tempted on and off by a full-sized in .327 Federal Magnum, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. (I saw a Ruger seven-shooter in said, but held off.)

At the end of the day, reckon they all be kind of good. Too each their own and happy handgunning. :)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews