JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another one I used to have. Three Screw Ruger Blackhawk in 41 Magnum made in 1967. (The only year for the "neck feather" emblem)
For a very short time I had it's mate in.357, too. This gun I had for a long time. Poliished the sear and changed to a steel grip frame. When I bought it it had no rear sight blade and I later found out why. Once the blade was replaced the gun shot very high. I even filed down the new, rear blade and it was still too high. I had Rich's in Donald add metal to the front site so the thing could be sighted in. At 50 yards a center hold put a bullet in the bullseye. I always wanted to chop the barrel to 5 or 5 1/2", but just never took the step. Sold it to a good friend a few years ago.
41 a.jpg 41 b.jpg

About a week after I bought my ROA, in March of 1985, I asked the importers here in yUK, Viking Arms, to supply me with a higher foresight - as detailed in the instructions with the gun. Now, thirty-three years and six months and eighteen days later, I'm still waiting.

P1040636.JPG

I'm kind of a S&W guy. That SP101 is Wifey's carry revolver. On the right the two are a pre M14 and a Pre m36. The pre 14 was my paternal grand fathers carry piece when he was in some kind of LE in the Los Angeles in the late '40,-early '50s M&Ps? Combat master pieces? Never been sure about that. View attachment 520269

Last Edited:
Mikej: FWIW Your Granddaddy's gun is a pre Model 14 aka:K-38. Very common with the LAPD & LA County Sheriff's Office.

Okay...when i got this I though it was a pre M10. Just a short time ago I came to the conclusion that it was a 15 being as it has adjustable sights...So is the 14 a budget version of a M15?

I'd look it up myself but I just sat down to date the M 19-5 in the pic. I'm thinking you know it off the top of your head. :D

The K-38 and the pre Model 15(called the Masterpiece) are basically the same gun but the pre15 has a lighter weight 4" Barrel. The K-38(pre Model 14) was developed as a Target Pistol with a 6" tube and a wider rib. Hope this helps. :):):)

The K-38 and the pre Model 15(called the Masterpiece) are basically the same gun but the pre15 has a lighter weight 4" Barrel. The K-38(pre Model 14) was developed as a Target Pistol with a 6" tube and a wider rib. Hope this helps. :):):)

Great, thank you sir!

I had one of the Combat Masterpiece revolvers. Pre Model 15 and like Mike's, a "five screw" with the upper sideplate screw and the lower screw in the front of the trigger guard. If I was a collector I never could have let go of that gun, but I'm a user and it had to go. Long story short, when I bought it in the mid 90's it did not appear to have been fired. No box or paperwork, but nearly flawless in every other way. I put a few hundred soft loads thru it and babied it, then traded it away for a 649 I wouldn't mind having back. (guess I just can't have nice things)

orygun; There are still a lot of very nice Smith and Wesson Model 15s out there. I AM a Collector but I'm also a shooter so I enjoy the guns in more than one way. Mike aka:KKG:)

I had one of the Combat Masterpiece revolvers. Pre Model 15 and like Mike's, a "five screw" with the upper sideplate screw and the lower screw in the front of the trigger guard. If I was a collector I never could have let go of that gun, but I'm a user and it had to go. Long story short, when I bought it in the mid 90's it did not appear to have been fired. No box or paperwork, but nearly flawless in every other way. I put a few hundred soft loads thru it and babied it, then traded it away for a 649 I wouldn't mind having back. (guess I just can't have nice things)

Doubt I'll ever own a gun I "Can't" shoot. I have guns I hardly shoot though, because its' my choice. It just turned out that way after I bought them.

As a Collector I have a few that I'll never shoot. And also as a Collector I have one that I bought to shoot but I haven't in a lot of years because it's too valuable. I paid $5.00 over Retail and got 900 rounds of ammo with it. In 2005 it was appraised by someone who should know, he told me if I put it up for Auction I should set a Reserve of $13,000! He said it would likely go up in value by 1K a year so it's doubled. I'm thinking of telling the story on here since I purchased it 50 years ago this year. Sometimes they do go up in value.:):):)

As a Collector I have a few that I'll never shoot. And also as a Collector I have one that I bought to shoot but I haven't in a lot of years because it's too valuable. I paid $5.00 over Retail and got 900 rounds of ammo with it. In 2005 it was appraised by someone who should know, he told me if I put it up for Auction I should set a Reserve of $13,000! He said it would likely go up in value by 1K a year so it's doubled. I'm thinking of telling the story on here since I purchased it 50 years ago this year. Sometimes they do go up in value.:):):)

I just don't have the resources ($$$) to hang onto everything. I wish I did, but I also like to try "new toys" so usually something has to go.

I believe you've disclosed a little of this gun before, but I stories.

Is that actually mounted, or just propped for the picture? While it really looks stupid, that could be fun to shoot. Ever shoot a 38 at 100 yards?
it would be fun to shoot but it was just a gag pic, sorry I couldn't resist.

Edit yes I have shot 38 at 100 yards but out of my rossi carbine, no snub nose 100yd shots:)

I'd listen to that story. For me guns are something that fascinate me. I buy one, and then another gun that fascinates me comes along and I save up to buy that one. Not really collectibles, but hopefully I'll have that money secure in those arms so that if I ever HAVE to have some money I'll get at least what I paid for them. Most of them anyway. They could be considered free entertainment, in my mind.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top