JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What are some of your favorite books that deal exclusively, or at least primarily, with the revolver? Can be anything — history, gunsmithing, self-defense, make/models, military/law enforcement revolvers, handgun hunting, et al. — as long as it is about wheelguns.

Enjoy. :)

Last Edited:
History of the Colt Revolver....Charles and Frank Belden
A most excellent book about the history of Colt..as well as catalog reprints...and the care of and shooting of Colt Percussion Revolvers.....The also has chapters on early Colt Pistols up to the 1911 Model.
Andy

Textbook of Pistols and revolvers: Hatcher....Juxtaposing physical and mechanical aspects of many different revolvers ads to functional understanding. When you know not just what things do but how things are supposed to work, how to identify, fix, or modify becomes more obvious.

No second place winner: Jordan... much worth while to consider and ponder both defense, and offence, when formulating what ultimately will work best for your life style.

If smithing the old ones; Professional gunsmithing: Walter Howe...Though not a specific section on revolvers, worth it for the do it yourselfer. Worth while cautions and admonitions if toying with smithing as a business too.

The ones I am reading now.
Ed McGivern's - Book of fast and fancy revolver shooting
The secrets of double action shooting - Bob Nichols

If, perchance, it is of any value to others, a few texts I will pass along. Some of these are "main and plain", while others a bit more niche.

• Supica, J., & Nahas, R. (2016). Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson. Gun Digest Books. This is an indispensable resource for all things Smith & Wesson, including their many revolver offerings.
  • Mulin, T. (2015). Serious Smith & Wessons The N- and X-Frame Revolvers: The S&W Phenomenon, Volume Ⅲ. Collector Grade Publications. While pricy, it is a lavishly illustrated guide to Smith's really big wheelguns.
  • Boorman, D. K. (2002). The History of Smith and Wesson firearms. Globe Pequot. I hesitate to recommend this one because some of the text is highly suspect. However, the photographic material is worth the price of admission.
  • McHenry, R. C., & Roper, W. F. (1945; 2013). Smith & Wesson Hand guns. Skyhorse. This is an older resource that has been reprinted a few times. If one has the aforementioned, probably redundant, but still warranted inclusion.
  • Maze, R. (2012). The Webley Service Revolver. Osprey Publishing. For a short (~80 pages) overview of the Webley service revolvers, this is a good introductory text.
  • Stamps, M., & Skennerton, I. D. (1992). 380 Enfield No. 2 Revolver. As with the Webley text, a short guide to Enfield martial revolvers.
  • Prasac, M. (2012). Big-Bore Revolvers. Gun Digest Books. This is a nicely illustrated guide to hand cannons.
  • Taffin, J. (1997). Big Bore Sixguns. Krause. Ditto the work by Prasac.
  • Long, D. (1989). Combat revolvers: The Best (and Worst) Modern Wheelguns. Paladin Press. The work from this author is often suspect, but this is a surprisingly good, if somewhat dated, text.
  • Pegler, M. (2017). Colt Single-Action Revolvers. Bloomsbury Publishing. This is a short guide to the venerable Colt single-actions.
  • Ainsworth, K. (2019). Handgun Hunting: A Comprehensive Guide to Choosing and Using the Right Firearms for Big and Small Game. Skyhorse. The focus is, naturally, on handgun hunting, but there is good coverage of big-bore revolvers.
  • Gangarosa, G., Jr. (2001). Spanish Handguns: The History of Spanish Pistols & Revolvers. Stoeger. This is an excellent resource to automatic pistols, machine-pistols, and, naturally, revolvers from España.
  • Long, D. (1995). Hand Cannons: The World's Most Powerful Handguns. Paladin Press. Just sort of a fun read, if not too serious a work.
  • Cunningham, G. (2011). The Gun Digest Book of the Revolver. Krause Publications. This is a surprisingly good overview of the modern, double-action revolver for defense purposes.
  • Publishers, A. M. I. (2006). The British Bulldog. This nicely illustrated, short text covers the "bulldog" revolvers of the 19th century.
  • Winans, W. (2022). The Art of Revolver Shooting. Legare Street Press. A reprint of a much older text. Unlike the rest, I have not had an opportunity to read this one yet, but I figured inclusion would not hurt.
And I'm sure I'm missing plenty. To many hours of happy reading. :)

I thought I had missed some and farting about the library confirmed said suspicion. A couple others that may warrant inclusion:

• Webster, D. (1958). Suicide Specials. Stackpole. This is an excellent resource guide to those small, often inexpensive, single-action revolvers produced in great volume in the late 19th and early 20th century.
  • Gates, E. (n.d.) (1988). The Gun Digest Book of Metallic Silhouette Shooting. DBI Books. This is a great overview to the sport, but it also covers revolvers appropriate for said as well.
Cheers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA