JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Screenshot_20181114-080755.png

I'm thinking about changing the grips on my Ruger Old Army. Right now I have Pachmayrs on it, and when I take it to the range for a show and tell it wears a set of ambidextrous Herretts in wood. But I'm thinking about something more traditional, but without the expense of mammoth ivory.

Ideas, please?

Traditional would be walnut, or later on, Rosewood. I do not know the cost of mammoth ivory, so I don't know if $275 for Sambar Stag would be a bargain in comparison, but it certainly is traditional. Elk horn or bison horn would also be a cheaper option.

The tru-ivory type of products are another option. The look of ivory without the cost.

And when you're feeling really sporty, you could try mother-of-pearl.:cool:

My choice would be walnut (or rosewood if you could find dark ones).

I am guilty of changing grips on my revolvers, as a woman may change shoes. Each style of grip can impart a completely different personality to any given revolver.

Any of these would look good on your Old Army.
P1060277.jpg

Last Edited:
I'm thinking about changing the grips on my Ruger Old Army. Right now I have Pachmayrs on it, and when I take it to the range for a show and tell it wears a set of ambidextrous Herretts in wood. But I'm thinking about something more traditional, but without the expense of mammoth ivory.
Ideas, please?

Tac, have you considered bone as a option, was reading where somewhere wear this was a thing, it was at the last gun show I went to wish I had pics.

Next time I get it out to shot I'll post a pic of it with the spiffy Herrett wooden grips on it. I bought them the same day I bought the revolver - March 2nd, 1986. We've been in love ever since, me and my ROA.

tac; Your gun should be rotating up and back so you can reach the hammer with the shooting thumb. It's definitely not doing that. Even a set of smooth walnuts will allow that to happen. The felt recoil will be much less.:)hi Mike

tac; Your gun should be rotating up and back so you can reach the hammer with the shooting thumb. It's definitely not doing that. Even a set of smooth walnuts will allow that to happen. The felt recoil will be much less.:)hi Mike

Cocking with the shooting thumb is not permitted in BP target revolver shooting. The thumb of the free hand must be used instead. This permits the grip of the shooting hand to remain unchanged during the firing cycle.

I enjoy the feeling of recoil, in any case.

Interesting.:cool:
I've never been involved in any formal target shooting.
I just hated the way the wooden grips let the piece try to rotate in my hand.
.38Spl., 145gr. hp, Pachmayr grips, I can handle the recoil.:p

tac; Sounds like you are good to go. But you might want to try it out with the smooth walnuts or whatever you have.:rolleyes:

Capt Jack; It sounds like you're doing OKay as well. I do think that if you were using a Heavy .45 Colt load you would have some issues, but the .38 Special load you are doing well.:)

There are two completely diverse schools regarding single action revolver shooting.

The predominant school, and the one I adhere to, is a SA revolver should have hard, smooth grips and should be allowed to rotate in the hand during firing. That makes the recoil for each shot more closely duplicate the recoil of the previous and subsequent shots.

Then there's the rubber bumper school, where you must clamp your hand on the atrociously grotesque rubber grip so it doesn't get away, doing your best to control recoil, while your hand and arm is absorbing the recoil. Problem with this is, it's difficult to duplicate the recoil characteristics with each shot. Holding the grip slightly looser or tighter from shot to shot, or relaxing or tightening the arm muscles differently for each shot will affect the recoil harmonics, and will change point of impact, shot to shot. I wont say it can't be done, as some folks are very proficient with this technique. And I certainly wont say my way is the only way, but it is the argument used by most proficient SA target shooters.

I have used both techniques over many years, and now I will not allow Pachmayrs and single action in the same sentence.:D

And...The heavier the load, the more this discussion applies.

Ugly, however, is applied equally regardless of the caliber.:)

Last Edited:
I have never found that Pachmayrs don't allow the pistol to rotate correctly. Hogue grips on the other hand do seem to be to soft and sticky in my experience. I guess it may be due to the way I grip my revolvers, but wouldn't trade my Pachmayr grips on my Ruger .44 magnum for any other.

I never liked the Pachmayr grips on looks alone, but I did buy a set for my Super Blackhawk. They didn't fit well. Never bought another set.
I had a Hogue Monogrip on a short barreled 41 Mag Blackhawk and loved it, but the Old Model I had wore factory Ruger walnut stocks. If I had changed I probably would have stayed similar to the original, but in fancy wood without the emblem.

@tac That Old Army deserves a nice handle. That's a pretty nice piece. I'd like to see it with an ebony, like a dark horn. No matter what, it will be gorgeous.

I just found the site - $275 for grips and no delivery outside the lower 48. Hmmmm.

Guess I'll wait till I'm over next Spring. Whinemeal, I'll change over to the Herretts - at least they are made of wood. I'll post a pic next time I get it out - likely tomorrow as it's a guest day, and the ROA gets a good bit of use seeing as 99.99999% of the populace have never SEEN a real handgun, let alone got the chance to shoot one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top