JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I grew up partly overseas and spent a lot of my life in the south.

I have never considered myself a racist or even biased as I grew up around poverty that makes ghettos in the USA look like the nice part of town.

I'm sexist for sure though. I was raised to treat women better then men so I guess that makes me sexist but whatever.

These "whiteness month" and white shaming is not making me so much a racist but I do start to think when is White Month? And what the hell is wrong with these people.

Honestly, having a white women teaching that class or seminar held no weight with me whatsoever. Put a black lady up there and I would be inclined to put a little thought into what was being said.

There was a news story a few days ago about one of these "whiteness" events and said 30 people showed up. 28 of which were faculty and 2 students...:rolleyes:

Personally, I don't think we'll ever get past 'racism' in this country so long as people see themselves based on their race. I don't wake up each day thinking "I'm white, proud and privileged" in fact, I rarely think about my color, or lack thereof. I get up, go to work, get along with others and get on with my life. I work with people of all different races, backgrounds and religions, and honestly, none of it matters a frickin hill of beans so long as we get along and get our damn jobs done.

No, garbage like this bullsh!t class are exactly why racism won't die. These people, like our President are doing more to make racism grow in this country. They need to shut their traps and go out and be productive citizens.

If you're white and feel guilty about it - get the f' over yourself! Losers :mad:

It pisses me off to no end that my tax dollars help pay for this crap.

Starting to get real pissed off and resentful at people failing to take responsibility for their own lives and blaming whitey for their crap lives.

If we want to stop the racial divisions and put the injustices of the past behind us, we need to stop dividing things racially, grow the bubblegum up and take responsibility for our own lives.

These people wallow in self pity and blame others while receiving all kinds of benefits and advantages that my kids don't get and then have the nerve to blame me. Yeah starting to get pissed.

Personally, I don't think we'll ever get past 'racism' in this country so long as people see themselves based on their race. I don't wake up each day thinking "I'm white, proud and privileged" in fact, I rarely think about my color, or lack thereof. I get up, go to work, get along with others and get on with my life. I work with people of all different races, backgrounds and religions, and honestly, none of it matters a frickin hill of beans so long as we get along and get our damn jobs done.

No, garbage like this bullsh!t class are exactly why racism won't die. These people, like our President are doing more to make racism grow in this country. They need to shut their traps and go out and be productive citizens.

If you're white and feel guilty about it - get the f' over yourself! Losers :mad:

It pisses me off to no end that my tax dollars help pay for this crap.
Wish I could give you a thousand thumbs up, incredibly spot on post. I whole heartedly agree with your sentiments!

Enough of this manure... These poor excuses for humans should get off their duffs and try doing some real productive work for a change... Just sucking more and more from the guberment t!t...

Wish I could give you a thousand thumbs up, incredibly spot on post. I whole heartedly agree with your sentiments!

Enough of this manure... These poor excuses for humans should get off their duffs and try doing some real productive work for a change... Just sucking more and more from the guberment t!t...

Yeah, my feelings about all this are more intense than I expressed here - but if I really let it all out, Joe would probably boot me off the site ;) I am getting tired, as many others are, of being considered 'guilty' just because of my skin color - if THAT's not racist, I don't know what is. #whitelivesmatter :p

Last Edited:
THAT's not racist, I don't know what is. #whitelivesmatter

#WhiteLivesMatter - I like it... May need to begin using this, frequently!!!

While I am hugely sympathetic with the whole whitelivesmatter issue and think the blacklivesmatter movement could have chosen a better title for thier movement, I also know that nowhere in the USA do white people have to be afraid of being randomly killed by a cop - black folks do and that is what they are trying to make a point of.

They messed up with the title as it just adds to segregation.

While I am hugely sympathetic with the whole whitelivesmatter issue and think the blacklivesmatter movement could have chosen a better title for thier movement, I also know that nowhere in the USA do white people have to be afraid of being randomly killed by a cop - black folks do and that is what they are trying to make a point of.

I disagree

White people are killed every day by police in this country. Some justified some not. Just like black people. How the media and communities react is the difference.

But they ARE on a massive scale. Completely disproportionate to any other ethnic background.

image.jpeg

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...e-whites-than-blacks-but-minority-d/?page=all

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/12/28/3735190/killed-by-police-2015/

Ray

You know I'm willing to bet that the black men I served with would get real offended if you tried to say they aren't in control of their lives. That no matter what they'll never be as good as a white guy.
To me that's what this "Whiteness History Month" is doing.
It takes away personal responsibility.
"Don't worry. It's not your fault you're a failure at life. It's some white guys fault."

I was with my family one day up in the Seattle area. It was late in the afternoon and we needed some nourishment.
No clue where we were, Lynn wood area somewhere. I spotted a McDonalds. We parked and went in. As soon as we got inside, I noticed most of the customers and employees were predominately black. Whoops, I thought, this may be interesting. As a test, and not wanting to say lets go elsewhere, I told the kids to go head and order. My son and daughter stepped up to the counter, and the cashier conveniently had to do something else. We stood there. Other lines next to us were moving along. We stood there. I looked to people in other lines, in courteous hope we may get let in line ahead of someone. No such luck. I knew exactly what was going on, just kept quiet not to make a scene with the kids there. We stood there for almost 10 minutes or so, waiting. None of the employees offered to take our order. I could not tolerate my being respectable any longer. I asked when we would be waited on. None of them offered. At that instance I got out my note pad and started writing names down, along with the managers who was standing right there at the end of the counter. When I was finished taking names, I politely made it known that I would be contacting the McDonalds Corporate office with their business ID number about the situation, along with the names of the employees on shift during the incident. We left and went across the street to Carls Jr. No issue there.

Society does have a racist problem. Unfortunately, it's a stereotypical disease passed along. That, also unfortunately, instills in me to treat them the same.

I always treat everyone, regardless of age, color, creed, religion, or anything else. I never judge unless given a reason to do so. In many ways, I'm hardened because of it.

Last Edited:
Touché.

I can not find a single piece of literature or set of numbers that agree.

Guess I drank the koolaid:oops:

I would never deny that racism exists, that would be foolish. Of course it exists, as does sexism, ageism, religious discrimination, etc. But I do question how pervasive it really is. Are black kids being killed by white cops? Sure they are. Is it more likely that they will be killed by a cop? Maybe, maybe not - the reports seem to conflict a bit. But again, therein lies part of the problem. Many folks get their news from just a handful of sources that present only parts and pieces, and often twist the truth to fit an agenda. Responsible consumers of media need to be aware of this and balance out their media consumption by getting multiple points of view (not counting that as watching ABC, CBS and NBC).

But back to actual racism. Yes it exists. But does it really exist like it did 50 years ago? 100 years ago? 150 years ago? There was a time in this country, around the 1840's-1860's when it was at times and places, worse to be Irish than black. My ancestors came from Ireland and I don't doubt they experienced some of the hatred they were getting at that time. People have always had a dislike for people that are different from themselves. Does that mean that someone is inherently racist? I think there is a difference.

I have some neighbors next to me I really dislike. They are white, like me, but they are loud, obnoxious, rude, irritating, drive like frickin maniacs in our neighborhood, leave messes around their property and constantly have far more people in their home than any other family in the neighborhood. They bother us with their noise, etc., and for that reason, I dislike them. We moved where we did because we wanted quiet, and until they moved in, we had it. But is my dislike for them because they're white? It wouldn't matter to me if they were black, asian, hispanic or whatever. To me, the actions of a person matter, the color of their skin doesn't. That's how I was raised. Now, if it turned out these neighbors were black, and I had the same dislike for them, would it make me racist? I think in today's society, it would be classified that way.

I honestly think we've been moving generally the right direction for race relations for a while now. Is there still work to be done? Of course there is. And if we can identify clear cut examples of actual racist actions, then they should be dealt with. But because someone simply dislikes another person and they happen to be black, do we have to call that racism? Why can't we look at the circumstances, not the skin color and see what's really behind it? And if people are being intentionally mistreated solely based on the color of their skin, then that needs to be dealt with on a case by case basis.

My biggest complaint in all of this is the assumption that because I'm white, I'm racist. That simply isn't true, and making that claim about me is, in my opinion, a racist action in and of itself. Like I said earlier, skin color needs to stop being at the forefront of every discussion. Unfortunately, with the President and the media ramming it down our throats on a daily basis, it's going to push race relations backward, not forward. The very people that decry racism the loudest are the ones that benefit the most from keeping racism alive - there is a lot of money and power to be made from racism.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews