JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I couldnt sit in that classroom. Id march out to the main office and file a discriminatory complaint because the class was attacking my chosen lifestyle and the group that ensures that I can live my chosen lifestyle.

Let us know what McDonalds has to say....
the food is better at Carl's Jr. anyway.
This was a few years back. When I called the Corp office, I got the run around. I decided to instead write a letter about our experience, and send it, certified.
The letter was received, tho never followed-up on on our behalf. I accepted it for that, that it was not a concern.

Ah, dear me. I didn't even bother to watch the video because I knew it would pi$$ me off royally.
Assumptions I made about the video:
  1. Again, we have White, Hip Portland telling us how to think and feel and what it means to be progressive. Portland is so full of itself. It thinks it's cosmopolitan, progressive and uberconscious. I laugh. NIMBYs with Namaste stickers on their back bumper.
  2. Another delivery of "check your privilege." Um, yeah. Last time I checked, I was still working poor, watching the dollars and cents.
  3. #blacklivesmatter / #whitelivesmatter. Huh? Go to any 2nd or 3rd world country and you will discover that #yourlifemeansnothing. Yup, I'm glad I live in 'merica.
  4. Just like the fashion industry, recycling ideas every 7-10 years, these few years it's race, and perhaps sexism will make another appearance, followed by poverty, hunger, the 97%, etc.
If you treat everyone with respect, there is no such thing as racism.

Aldous Huxley would be proud - here she is doing her duty in reciting some of the 66,000 repetitions.

I would never deny that racism exists, that would be foolish. Of course it exists, as does sexism, ageism, religious discrimination, etc. But I do question how pervasive it really is. Are black kids being killed by white cops? Sure they are. Is it more likely that they will be killed by a cop? Maybe, maybe not - the reports seem to conflict a bit. But again, therein lies part of the problem. Many folks get their news from just a handful of sources that present only parts and pieces, and often twist the truth to fit an agenda. Responsible consumers of media need to be aware of this and balance out their media consumption by getting multiple points of view (not counting that as watching ABC, CBS and NBC).

But back to actual racism. Yes it exists. But does it really exist like it did 50 years ago? 100 years ago? 150 years ago? There was a time in this country, around the 1840's-1860's when it was at times and places, worse to be Irish than black. My ancestors came from Ireland and I don't doubt they experienced some of the hatred they were getting at that time. People have always had a dislike for people that are different from themselves. Does that mean that someone is inherently racist? I think there is a difference.

I have some neighbors next to me I really dislike. They are white, like me, but they are loud, obnoxious, rude, irritating, drive like frickin maniacs in our neighborhood, leave messes around their property and constantly have far more people in their home than any other family in the neighborhood. They bother us with their noise, etc., and for that reason, I dislike them. We moved where we did because we wanted quiet, and until they moved in, we had it. But is my dislike for them because they're white? It wouldn't matter to me if they were black, asian, hispanic or whatever. To me, the actions of a person matter, the color of their skin doesn't. That's how I was raised. Now, if it turned out these neighbors were black, and I had the same dislike for them, would it make me racist? I think in today's society, it would be classified that way.

I honestly think we've been moving generally the right direction for race relations for a while now. Is there still work to be done? Of course there is. And if we can identify clear cut examples of actual racist actions, then they should be dealt with. But because someone simply dislikes another person and they happen to be black, do we have to call that racism? Why can't we look at the circumstances, not the skin color and see what's really behind it? And if people are being intentionally mistreated solely based on the color of their skin, then that needs to be dealt with on a case by case basis.

My biggest complaint in all of this is the assumption that because I'm white, I'm racist. That simply isn't true, and making that claim about me is, in my opinion, a racist action in and of itself. Like I said earlier, skin color needs to stop being at the forefront of every discussion. Unfortunately, with the President and the media ramming it down our throats on a daily basis, it's going to push race relations backward, not forward. The very people that decry racism the loudest are the ones that benefit the most from keeping racism alive - there is a lot of money and power to be made from racism.
This was an excellent post.

Starting to get real pissed off and resentful at people failing to take responsibility for their own lives and blaming whitey for their crap lives.

It's a terrible thing to be "helped" by your government. First thing that disappears is self respect. The next thing is family.

I wouldn't be too hard on 'em. They were doing just fine on their own before Lyndon Johnson's "Great Society". The ruling class does everything it can to promote racist hatred - it's the old "divide and conquer". In the old days their attitude was known as "white man's burden".

BTW I took a writing class at PCC about 15 years ago, taught by the head of the English department. I talked to him after the course because we had crossed swords a lot in class; he admitted to being a Marxist. Still gave me an A though; I guess he appreciated a decent argument!

The OP is "your tax dollars at work"...

I was raised with perhaps simplistic ideas regarding race, and am raising my kids the same way. I love the ideal that people should be judged by the content of their character and never by the color of their skin. I did grow up in an area that was not very racially diverse, so I admit that I might not have the background to really understand the racial divide.

I do think it's important to understand what various ethnic groups have gone through in our nations history, and how that affects their cultures and perspectives, but I wish we could learn something more practical from it, like how about treating all people with some respect no matter who they are? Why is it ok to be racist and prejudiced so long as you're a minority? Why not make an effort to understand our cultural differences and get along despite them, instead of just saying "Those people are crazy!" like some of us do.

I have a small percentage Native-American ancestry. I think it was absolutely shameful how some of my ancestors were treated by "white America" at times. It's very important to learn from that history, but I sure don't feel that it entitles me to be prejudiced because of it.

I've never practiced or condoned slavery or racism, and I am not aware of any ancestors of mine that did either. Why should I have guilt or be shamed for something someone in the past did just because my skin pigmentation is similar to theirs?

What should we do? I don't know. I don't have all the answers.

Who really gives a charbroiled rat's a$$ what the children at PCC think or even what PCC thinks? It's nothing more than a two year continuation of high school. Finish up your dumbbell math and English and then move on to your career at BK or Mickey D's.

While I am hugely sympathetic with the whole whitelivesmatter issue and think the blacklivesmatter movement could have chosen a better title for thier movement, I also know that nowhere in the USA do white people have to be afraid of being randomly killed by a cop - black folks do and that is what they are trying to make a point of.

They messed up with the title as it just adds to segregation.

They do it to themselves and make a large production of their propensity for self-destruction. They'll probably want more cheese with that "whine".

Why is it ok to be racist and prejudiced so long as you're a minority?

It's not an advantage to one's life to be racist; it is a detriment. It gets in the way of employment and all sorts of things.

It is indulged by some, e.g. SJWs, who have assumed the old "white man's burden" and don't discourage poor behavior in those, e.g. "blacks", they secretly consider inferior.

The main problem with racism is that it is collectivist. Assume one "race" has 80% decent people and 20% louts, while another "race" has 20% decent people and 80% louts. The decent people still deserve to be treated decently, no matter what the fraction is. But that's not to say that we must not take the fractions into account, when we encounter people we don't know personally. But then, being "white" myself, I don't automatically assume some other "white" person must be a good guy either; that would be foolish. Anyway there are more "white" people on welfare than "black" people...

Racism is a great "divide and conquer" tool for the rulers. That's why they persist with programs such as "Affirmative Action", which is racist on its face and causes more racism and division.

As to education, Thomas Jefferson pointed out:
"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical."

I gave up coloring in the fifties, I couldn't stay within the lines.
I'm strictly an ethic, moral and merit based entity. Meet my strict standards and I will like you.

But they ARE on a massive scale. Completely disproportionate to any other ethnic background.

View attachment 287227
The picture from that professors presentation is making a very uninformed and biased statement ("Imagine if African American..."). Mass murder is committed in the United States at rates that are approximately equal on a per-capita basis by race.

The following is based on the Mother Jones mass shootings dataset:

Racial breakdown:
o 67.7% White
o 1.6% Native American
o 1.6% Unknown
o 4.8% Latino
o 14.5% Black
o 9.7% Asian

Duwe's paper "A Circle Of Distortion: The Social Construction of Mass Murder in the United States" shows similar numbers when we expand the topic to cover all mass murders regardless of weapons.

http://www.westerncriminology.org/documents/WCR/v06n1/article_pdfs/duwe.pdf

In college I learned that, sadly, Blacks and Hispanics are more likely to commit more shootings and violent acts (against their members of their own culture/subculture) than Caucasians.

This is not a statement about race, it is a statement of fact.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top