JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another good thing would be to stay out of target areas, big cities will be reduced to ashes in a heartbeat. No amount of preps will help you, even a shelter isn' any good because you have no idea when the nukes will hit. Wars are by attrition so they kill populations.

Ashes or not (it depends on if they are a target), cities will be the place to stay away from.

They are not self-supporting - they import almost everything they need; energy, water, fuel and food.

The only good thing about them is that smart preppers do not live there if they can help it, and 80% of the population is stuck there, so those of us that live well outside the city don't have to deal with the idiots inside them when SHTF.

This was my main suggestion; if at all possible, get the hell out of the city or even the suburban areas and I don't mean bug out, I mean move out. Bugging out means you will be seen as just any other refugee that waited until it was too late to truly prepare.

Ashes or not (it depends on if they are a target), cities will be the place to stay away from.

They are not self-supporting - they import almost everything they need; energy, water, fuel and food.

The only good thing about them is that smart preppers do not live there if they can help it, and 80% of the population is stuck there, so those of us that live well outside the city don't have to deal with the idiots inside them when SHTF.

This was my main suggestion; if at all possible, get the hell out of the city or even the suburban areas and I don't mean bug out, I mean move out. Bugging out means you will be seen as just any other refugee that waited until it was too late to truly prepare.

^This. You need to get into a community that is too small to be a target (and in the affected areas) that still has the resources to provide food, water (gravity fed best), electricity (hydro best) and the capability to produce food.

Download Google Earth Pro (now free) because it lets you draw circle and lines. Start by putting a red marker at each major city, military base, nuclear missile facility, and political center in the region you are interested in. Now look at the map and find the least cluttered areas. These are places to investigate further.

Note that you have natural disaster issues you may need to contend likely within our lifetime with such as the Cascadia fault. Keep these in mind. Now, where does the water in those areas come from? Does it need power to pump it or is it gravity fed? Are there hydro facilities generating power? What agriculture is happening there and what does it depend on? What is the climate like? Could you survive a winter burning whatever you could scrounge up? Can you get a job there? And this is just getting started. It took me about three years to identify my next AO. What works for me might not work for you.

You need to move there and get integrated into the community. Just because you own property does not make you a local when you show up and nobody knows you. You are just another refugee who brings nothing to the table. What skills do you bring? How do you contribute? It's a DEEP subject.

Now you have identified a location with maybe 50,000 or fewer inhabitants. Start placing more markers for the resources - everything from cement plants to grocery stores. Draw some concentric circles at whatever intervals you want, say 5 - 15 mile radii increments. Where do you want to live relative the city center? How rural, how suburban? How close to whatever major roads are you? How defensible is your position? Couls you signal for and quickly get help? How likely is the local population to be receptive to preparedness? It goes on and on and on. You won't solve this in the time it takes between the "breaking news alert" and the beginning of hostilities. You need to make your plans and your move well enough in advance to become a known and trusted quantity.

Blah, blah, blah, you get the drift.

other than standards preparations???? Anything to bulk up on? What was hard to find in WWII? Any ideas? thanks tkdguy
FWIW... I had a friend years ago who had been an adult in ww2 post ww2 Germany. Since I am a history buff I got him into conversations about his experiences and thoughts. He told me that things like toilet paper {papertowels}, soaps, {Laundry, dish, body},"feminine products", first aid supplies,{antibiotic ointments}, pharmaceuticals, aspirin {today you might include ibuprofen, acetaminaphen or excedrine}, and alcoholic beverages like vodka, 190-proof stuff like :eek:Everclear, cigarettes, tobacco, rolling papers. He said toilet paper:p and kotex were big items.
He also said that coffee and tea were nearly impossible to get.

Last Edited:
FWIW... I had a friend years ago who had been an adult in ww2 post ww2 Germany. Since I am a history buff I got him into conversations about his experiences and thoughts. He told me that things like toilet paper {papertowels}, soaps, {Laundry, dish, body},"feminine products", first aid supplies,{antibiotic ointments}, pharmaceuticals, aspirin {today you might include ibuprofen, acetaminaphen or excedrine}, and alcoholic beverages like vodka, 190-proof stuff like :eek:Everclear, cigarettes, tobacco, rolling papers. He said toilet paper:p and kotex were big items.

This is really good information which I will put to task. Any other useful ideas?

It's funny to me, since I was in grade school at the time of the Cuban missie crisis those duck and cover days left a mark. Made me a survivalist but after years and years we have never had a war on our homeland. I survived to 65 without firing a shot in anger or using any of my preps in an emergency. No financial collapse or riots in the streets, not even an earthquake. It was all an insurance policy just in case, hope it turns out that way for the rest of you guys.

It's funny to me, since I was in grade school at the time of the Cuban missie crisis those duck and cover days left a mark. Made me a survivalist but after years and years we have never had a war on our homeland. I survived to 65 without firing a shot in anger or using any of my preps in an emergency. No financial collapse or riots in the streets, not even an earthquake. It was all an insurance policy just in case, hope it turns out that way for the rest of you guys.
I hear ya there.. I was in like 5th or 6th grade- Ive always been of a prepper mindset but not always in a position to set much back. Sometimes supplies were raided to help out in times of low money.. a lot of stashed stuff are things we would ourselves use, and replace/rotate. My parents always canned and preserved fruits and vegetables. They made a type of jerky and worsted sausage. Kept a lot of"fresh" potatoes in the food cellar along with apples. Flour, rice, yeast.. Mom baked all our bread when I was growing up.
Im not particularly "religious" so this isnt a plug- the LDS/Mormon church has a lot of info on setting food and other supplies back, and gardening tips too.

Last Edited:
I hear ya there.. I was in like 5th or 6th grade- Ive always been of a prepper mindset but not always in a position to set much back. Sometimes supplies were raided to help out in times of low money.. a lot of stashed stuff are things we would ourselves use, and replace/rotate. My parents always canned and preserved fruits and vegetables. They made a type of jerky and worsted sausage. Kept a lot of"fresh" potatoes in the food cellar along with apples. Flour, rice, yeast.. Mom baked all our bread when I was growing up.
Im not particularly "religious" so this isnt a plug- the LDS/Mormon church has a lot of info on setting food and other supplies back, and gardening tips too.

That's exactly the thing though, preparedness need not be costly.

Matter of fact, done correctly is simply another way to save money.

Buying bulk is less expensive for near on anything.

Gardening is healthy, a learning experience & renewable.

Etc etc.

The real trick is to use what you put back in rotation, so nothing goes to waste (or minimal). Else you are just throwing money away.

It's funny to me, since I was in grade school at the time of the Cuban missile crisis those duck and cover days left a mark. Made me a survivalist but after years and years we have never had a war on our homeland. I survived to 65 without firing a shot in anger or using any of my preps in an emergency. No financial collapse or riots in the streets, not even an earthquake. It was all an insurance policy just in case, hope it turns out that way for the rest of you guys.

I turn 64 this year.

Mostly have dealt with short term issues - wind storms, power outages, etc.

My main scenario over the years has changed from the Rapture, to New World Order, and on and on, with some mixture of different scenarios, to now Carrying Capacity of the earth and natural disasters (earthquake, wind, etc.) lower down on my list of things that can happen.

I would very much prefer that none of this happens but I just do not see humans changing far or fast enough to prevent the inevitable collapse of the whole system due to there simply being too many people on this planet for it to carry and then there being a die off. I don't see technology helping that much either - maybe even being detrimental (e.g., fertilizer and pesticides/et. al.).

I don't think I will live that long - maybe long enough to see the beginning of the end. But this prepping is more for my daughter and her husband than for myself. If I am still around to give advice and pull a trigger if needed, then good, otherwise they will hopefully benefit from the things and land I setup for them (if nothing else, they can sell the land, but I would prefer they don't as I think that will be the most valuable asset they will have).

That's exactly the thing though, preparedness need not be costly.

Matter of fact, done correctly is simply another way to save money.

Buying bulk is less expensive for near on anything.

Gardening is healthy, a learning experience & renewable.

Etc etc.

The real trick is to use what you put back in rotation, so nothing goes to waste (or minimal). Else you are just throwing money away.

Yes - eat what you store and store what you eat, and always rotate!

Studystudystudy:
Not just the obvious things, but anything that would enhance existing skill sets and introduce new ones. Your brain is essential.
Stockpile what you use, and what can be bartered. Think outside the box in this matter.
All manner of military strategy and tactics should be studied, regardless of veteran status. Absorb anything you can.

Remember, all the canned food and tactics you've stockpiled and studied are worthless if you dont keep yourself up enough to utililize them.

You asked what was in short supply during the last war.

Green Dye. They even had to make Lucky Strike ciggs switch to a white pack and give up their signature green.

So there you go stock up on Green dye.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads